Adaptive steering fault

FYI the software update was ineffective. Backed out my driveway over the gutter and felt the wheel move more than usual. Bingo. Adaptive steering fault again.

Service has my Edge now and they say it needs a steering module. Anyone have this experience? Did it fix?

Halfway to a lemon complaint now. What a mess for a new car.

FYI the software update was ineffective. Backed out my driveway over the gutter and felt the wheel move more than usual. Bingo. Adaptive steering fault again.

Service has my Edge now and they say it needs a steering module. Anyone have this experience? Did it fix?

Halfway to a lemon complaint now. What a mess for a new car.

I totally feel your pain! This really sucks. I have to go on a road trip, and although all seems fine, I hate that this damn thing could go awry at any time. Other than this ( I have not seen the warning in a few weeks, fingers crossed) even though I know that does not mean the issue has gone away. Damn this sucks!

Well, it's been over 6 weeks or 7 weeks since my Ford Dealership pulled the steering assembly from a brand new in stock Ford Edge Sport and put it into our 2016 Titanium Edge.
The "Adaptive Steering Fault" issue appears solved.

Again... the dealership did me a solid by pulling the steering assembly off a fresh off the truck $45,000 Edge that now, as far as I know, is still sitting in their back lot waiting for a replacement ordered for me.

So, there is hope.

Edited by JnGalt52
  • Like 2

I had the software update done some weeks ago and no error has popped up since that time. I think there is hope that this has fixed the issue. It may be some time though before I say - yes - it is fixed because for me I drove my vehicle for months before the first errors appeared. So I won't say - it is for sure fixed until - perhaps next December.

• Like 2

I had the software update done some weeks ago and no error has popped up since that time. I think there is hope that this has fixed the issue. It may be some time though before I say - yes - it is fixed because for me I drove my vehicle for months before the first errors appeared. So I won't say - it is for sure fixed until - perhaps next December.

I want to point out, again, that after my initial error message about the adaptive steering fault, the message has not appeared again. However, my adaptive steering clearly does not work. Are you sure that yours is functioning? When mine worked, I only had to turn the steering wheel about half as far as I do now, at parking lot speeds.... and it definitely has somewhat lighter feel on the highway.

So far, they've had my edge for a little over a week, steering wheel is on back order from the vendor. They have no idea how long it'll be but deem my car unsafe to drive.

Unbelievable.

They gave my MKX right back to me after verifying the code and ordering a new SECM (steering wheel assembly) for me. The part arrived this week, but my appointment to have the replacement done, is not for another couple of weeks, which works out well for my schedule. I've been driving the car for over 2 weeks now without the adaptive steering functionality..... other than that, it drives just fine.

Edited by VisionPilot

OK, today is the day! I am going to call Ford (they did not get back to me) and bring it in and tell them I do not want it back until it is fixed and I want a loaner. I cannot believe I buy the most expensive Edge they ever sold and they are not jumping all over themselves to give me a loaner. I mean really, that is insane to me.

I drove it out of state for the holidays, the message had not appeared for 3 weeks and the steering was fine. As I pulled up to my motel 4 hours away, the damn error message appeared and has not disappeared since and the steering is misaligned about 10 degrees to the left. I had to drive back like this. Not a confidence booster I assure you :(

Also, the heated steering wheel feature stopped working completely. Which was one reason I bought the car. Along with the heated seats which I cannot use because I need a cushion on the seats because they are so uncomfortable and poorly designed (but that is another thread).

I would rewind this deal in the proverbial heartbeat if I could.

Welp, got the notice and it turned off again this morning but also threw that C2100 code this time so took it to Ford and they did not see anything under the vin. I forwarded them the TSB in this thread and they called me shortly after. I will be getting a new steering wheel next year. They cleared my code and the system came completely back but they told me it will break again most likely. So definitely give them the TSB if you go in.

Malcolm

ETA on new steering wheel is January 31. I will be expecting more answers on if this is a truly new version of the wheel assembly or just the same thing that could fail. My dealer still has my car and is having no luck finding another wheel assembly in the meantime. So far they argue it's unsafe to drive.

Jan 31 would be well over the 30 days for a lemon law filing if it indeed takes that long.

ETA on new steering wheel is January 31. I will be expecting more answers on if this is a truly new version of the wheel assembly or just the same thing that could fail. My dealer still has my car and is having no luck finding another wheel assembly in the meantime. So far they argue it's unsafe to drive.

Jan 31 would be well over the 30 days for a lemon law filing if it indeed takes that long.

I am praying for the Lemon Law for us both. Ford should know better than this crap and owes us something more than just a fix for being beta testers for a feature no one really cared about to begin with.

• Like 1

Hope you get it all settled I'm very happy with it minus this one thing. Mine when off just becomes like full ratio steering I luckily have not had the wheel go 90 degrees or anything. It just seems to have super light steering and goes all the way around now. I would not deem this unsafe to drive though. I think your dealer is shooting themselves in the foot for not letting you drive it like this, but I guess it is good their putting your safety first.
  • Like 2

Hope you get it all settled I'm very happy with it minus this one thing. Mine when off just becomes like full ratio steering I luckily have not had the wheel go 90 degrees or anything. It just seems to have super light steering and goes all the way around now. I would not deem this unsafe to drive though. I think your dealer is shooting themselves in the foot for not letting you drive it like this, but I guess it is good their putting your safety first.

Well my warning on the dash never goes off-- so it's sure not enjoyable to be in. And why should I assume it's safe? It's a steering error!! I think nobody could guarantee it wouldn't go awry and be a hazard.

• Like 1

Well my warning on the dash never goes off-- so it's sure not enjoyable to be in. And why should I assume it's safe? It's a steering error!! I think nobody could guarantee it wouldn't go awry and be a hazard.

I totally agree! Never ever have I been sold a car that had steering issues. It goes in tomorrow and I will see what they say/do. I still cannot believe that they are not falling all over themselves to give me a loaner. I mean this is not "I am not really happy with the color of the dashboard" kind of issue. This is serious.

The last time I was in when they just did the hookup test they said something like... "We could not possibly give you a loaner because blah blah blah." It is not easy to hold my temper in the light of such ignorance. What, would the universe break if they gave me a loaner?