Adaptive steering fault

Sadly, it is because they are not compensated for providing loaners. Dealers like mine pay out of pocket to provide them for their customers. Your dealer decided that they were not going to provide such a service. Some smaller dealers just cannot afford the expense. Others are just dicks.

The stars must have been aligned correctly. I did get a loaner. They are putting in a clock spring and another part I did not get the name. I am hoping to hear from them tomorrow.

I need to do some driving on Thursday, so I really hope it is fixed and fixed right. This really colors my whole experience with my first American car. I also wonder why a recall has not been issued? Or did I miss that?

I need to do some driving on Thursday, so I really hope it is fixed and fixed right. This really colors my whole experience with my first American car. I also wonder why a recall has not been issued? Or did I miss that?

Isn't the car still driveable? If so then it's not a safety issue thus no recall. Besides - how would a recall help the situation?

• Like 1

Isn't the car still driveable? If so then it's not a safety issue thus no recall. Besides - how would a recall help the situation?

I guess that depends on what you mean by drivable. Since it is the STEERING that is affected, it seems to me it would qualify as a safety issue. A recall would raise awareness generally and also possibly SAVE a life before anyone actually died or was injured from it. Believe me me, when your steering wheel turns itself 90 degrees to the left (like it did once for me, luckily I was going slow almost in my driveway) trust me, that sure does SEEM like a safety issue for sure.

Also, since it is happening to so many vehicles, it seems that would be a good way for Ford to get out in front of this.

Did you have your hands on the wheel when it turned? I haven't heard anyone say they lost control of the vehicle. Ford is usually pretty quick to recall something if it is truly a safety issue.

It was a while back when this happened, so I am cloudly on the precise circumstances. As I recall I had tried turning off the car and on again to reset the error message and right then the wheel turned 90 degrees to the left. The wheels themselves did not turn, the wheel turned. The car was actually drivable but with the wheel 90 degrees off center. I am an expert driver so I was able to get into town. Stopped for gas on the way, and after restarting after fill up, the wheel magically re-centered itself.

In a new set of events, the wheel was 10-15 degrees off center and had been for a week when I took it to dealer today.

I will be picking the car up tomorrow. I will give a full report tomorrow night.

Edited by CapeDave
  • Like 1

Congrats! It is going to feel good to be back in your car once again. If this ends up being an isolated incident, there really will be no recall type of action. Even then, Alan really explained it well as to what consequences a failing component must present before a recall is even considered by the gubmint overlords. I have had a few lemons before(made the British mistake) and know very well how good it feels to be back in your own car after having spent a lot of time in either a loaner or Enterprise rental that they supply you with. A celebratory WOT run is in order.

• Like 4

OK, I got my car back. They replaced and reset some modules. replaced the Clock Spring. And did a bunch of other stuff I do not understand but is on the service order. I am very happy to say all error messages are gone. Heated steering wheel works again, yay. And a bluetooth issue seems to have disappeared (a good thing) and all seems very good. So it is running "better than new" at this point.

If anyone cares, I could post a jpg of the service order tomorrow. Let me know.

For now, I am quite happy. As I can now focus on the other BIG but not necessarily safety related issue. The unbelievably uncomfortable front seats. I still may have to trade the car and take a hit as this precludes me using the heated seats and using the seats at all without a cushion. Lincoln MX maybe?

Edited by CapeDave
  • Like 2

I had my adaptive steering replaced back in Aug-Sept of 16. Car was down for 25 days while waiting for a part. I had an F 150 loaner for this time. Car has been fine with the replaced parts, but I have to take it back in to find out why the horn is extremely hard to blow.

• Like 1

Give the seats a chance with your butt. At 9300 miles, my seats have broken in nicely and fit my butt like a glove. I have found that Ford sport buckets tend to need at least 5000 miles of seat time to really get comfortable.

I wouldn't really call the seats in the Edge "sport buckets". There is really nothing sporty about them at all. However, I agree with you that they do get more comfortable as they work in (I'm sure your body gets used to them as well).

Give the seats a chance with your butt. At 9300 miles, my seats have broken in nicely and fit my butt like a glove. I have found that Ford sport buckets tend to need at least 5000 miles of seat time to really get comfortable.

I am at 6000 and have not used the seats without a thick cushion because it is too painful. Therefore, I have not been able to properly avail myself of the heated seat feature, and the cooling, well, that simply does not work. But I knew that from this forum going in.

Although there are many issues with these seats, the deal killer is that where my thigh crosses the seat cushion bolster, there is not enough padding and a metal bar is what my leg is resting on. This is also the precise part of leg that has no padding of its own. Pure bone, all the time. Bottom line, these seats were poorly designed and even more poorly implemented. Very sad. Did Ford learn nothing while they owned Volvo?

So like a pebble in a shoe will not "break in" until it is removed, that is what we have here. The cloth seats in my $19,000 loaner were more comfortable than the top of the line leather "perforated heated and cooled seats" in my $45,000 Edge. That sucks, believe me.

Now that I feel my car is safe to drive I will be finding out what exactly my options are. First stop, local car seat upholstery company.

Edited by CapeDave

Finally (crossing fingers) my saga is over. Clock spring and new steering wheel for me. It was in the shop this last time for 13 days and got it back on Tuesday. No new error msgs yet! The messages came and went many times, but this last time when I brought it in my steering wheel had not been straight. Gave me a 17 Fusion loaner car. It was nice, but super pumped to get my sport back!

20161228 151751 resized

This was steering driving straight!
Edited by Sean Jones
  • Like 1

Finally (crossing fingers) my saga is over. Clock spring and new steering wheel for me. It was in the shop this last time for 13 days and got it back on Tuesday. No new error msgs yet! The messages came and went many times, but this last time when I brought it in my steering wheel had not been straight. Gave me a 17 Fusion loaner car. It was nice, but super pumped to get my sport back!

Yeah, I had same thing, freaky and not in a good way :) I guess I thought that if the steering wheel got replaced, the Clock Spring was a part of that, but from what you say, they are two separate things. Hmmm. My car is driving like it should and I enjoy it, but the fact that my steering wheel did not get replaced as well leaves me...

Got the Edge back new wheel and all, had to immediately take it for a reprogram to get rid of new errors regarding hill start and forward crash assist. Now the remote start doesn't work. Headed back in on Monday.

This is really getting old.

Dude, that sucks! I am sorry to hear that. This really is an insidious issue and I think Ford at minimum owes us a perfect fix and a few damn car payments. Maybe even a buy back offer.

That is ridiculous! For anyone saying this shouldn't be a safety recall, is out to lunch! I would not even have attempted to drive the car with the wheel that off center. Brutal, absolutely brutal.
  • Like 1

If you're in the mindset of a mechanical steering linkage, then that kind of photo certainly would be disturbing. The adaptive steering, as I understand it, has no mechanical linkage. Drive by wire, basically. Wherever the computer determines the neutral point to be, that's where it is. Much like calibrating a joystick back in the old days.

Intuitively disturbing, yes, but when you understand the type of steering it is, it's not quite so disturbing. I can see how it isn't a dire safety issue. Not that I'd want to deal with it.

Yeah, I had same thing, freaky and not in a good way :) I guess I thought that if the steering wheel got replaced, the Clock Spring was a part of that, but from what you say, they are two separate things. Hmmm. My car is driving like it should and I enjoy it, but the fact that my steering wheel did not get replaced as well leaves me...

I assume they are seperate parts. On my 2nd or 3rd visit (in September), they determined that I needed the clock spring but Ford didn't have an updated part for it. I called in November. Still no part. Finally end of December the wheel issue happened and drove it straight to the dealer. Couple days later it was determined that I needed a new steering wheel (also?), but they were back-ordered. Why couldn't they just pull one off the line? I dunno. Like I said fingers crossed.

And actually, I wasn't scared driving it with the wheel like that. It wasn't loose or anything, that was just the new center. Just if something did happen I didn't want to be liable. They actually wanted me to come back the next or following day when they would have a loaner for me. After thinking about it for a bit, the service manager miraculously found a car for me.

• Like 1

If you're in the mindset of a mechanical steering linkage, then that kind of photo certainly would be disturbing. The adaptive steering, as I understand it, has no mechanical linkage. Drive by wire, basically. Wherever the computer determines the neutral point to be, that's where it is. Much like calibrating a joystick back in the old days.

Intuitively disturbing, yes, but when you understand the type of steering it is, it's not quite so disturbing. I can see how it isn't a dire safety issue. Not that I'd want to deal with it.

You have a good point. When mine was like that it did not "feel" as unsafe as it looked, becasue as you said, it was basically just a new "center". Disconcerting yes! But lord knows I have driven off center cars before.

To give credit where credit is due, the car does now drive like "the poor man's BMW" that it is supposed to be :) One reason I bought the car was because I liked the way it drove, of which steering feel is a big part.