Adaptive steering fault

I will pay closer attention next time I take the Edge out for a drive in 2 days, but I probably should have noticed it by now if it was normal

It really is strange. You know those GM ignition switches that they got sued for? Well, I remember times riding in GM cars with keys dangling from that and the sound is almost like the keys hanging down from a keychain and snicking together as one drives down the road, but much fainter. That is as close as I can get to describing the noise.

But can you see it and get the correct info from it in a super quick glance? I doubt it. You need to stare at it, figure out where the indicator is, then figure out where on the scale that is, then process where is that in relation to the (non-existent) "redline", then maybe you have what you need to know.

Under what circumstance in your automatic transmission vehicle do you need detailed tachometer information in the first place? Even if you're using the paddles it won't over-rev past redline. Don't you also have the option of a round tachometer?

Under what circumstance in your automatic transmission vehicle do you need detailed tachometer information in the first place? Even if you're using the paddles it won't over-rev past redline. Don't you also have the option of a round tachometer?

Yup you can have the bar type tachometer or the traditional round one. I never use it. I usually keep the left screen showing the digital speed readout.

The point here is the overall poor design of the panel. That is undeniable. Sure, some claim they "like" it, or think it is pretty, or whatever. But that is not the point. The point is the vertical tach is simply one big standout of the poor design.

This thread is NOT about who needs a tach, or whether a tach is necessary with automatic. That is an entirely different thread.

• Like 1

I'm denying it. You're trying to make it an objective truth when it still comes down to personal preference.

You can keep saying that all l you want. But studies have been done, and that pathetic vertical tach is a disaster at disseminating the information it is supposed to convey. You can deny science all you want but that does not make it so. Liking it or not liking it is a personal preference. But does it do its job? That is science.

• Like 1

In a manual transmission sports car, sure. You need to clearly see the tach for shifting.

But this is an automatic where 99.99% of owners don't need or want or ever look at a tachometer in the first place. For these vehicles the vertical design is just fine.

And you're completely ignoring the availability of the round tachometer.

• Like 1

In a manual transmission sports car, sure. You need to clearly see the tach for shifting.

But this is an automatic where 99.99% of owners don't need or want or ever look at a tachometer in the first place. For these vehicles the vertical design is just fine.

And you're completely ignoring the availability of the round tachometer.

No, but I just have nothing to say about it. It is the way better option between the two for sure. Let's say you just bought the car. And let's say you want to keep the rev's under 4k for the first month. THAT is one BIG reason for a tach in automatic. And if you wanted to actually be somewhat accurate during this time, would anyone actually try to accomplish this with the vertical? I doubt it.

No, but I just have nothing to say about it. It is the way better option between the two for sure. Let's say you just bought the car. And let's say you want to keep the rev's under 4k for the first month. THAT is one BIG reason for a tach in automatic. And if you wanted to actually be somewhat accurate during this time, would anyone actually try to accomplish this with the vertical? I doubt it.

But that's precisely why you can use the "analog" round tachometer for the times you may want to use it.
  • Like 1

I purchased a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium in August 2016. In January the adaptive steering fault light came on. Called my dealership, made an appointment the next day, well the next day came and the fault light did not come on & of course nothing can be done at the dealership unless the fault light is on. Just recently the fault light has been staying on all the time, took into the deslership, they diagnosed it & ordered a new module, just found out today (February 27th) the part is on back order, the part consists of a complete steering wheel. I am still driving the vehicle, the dealership seems to feel it's ok to drive till the part arrives.

I purchased a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium in August 2016. In January the adaptive steering fault light came on. Called my dealership, made an appointment the next day, well the next day came and the fault light did not come on & of course nothing can be done at the dealership unless the fault light is on. Just recently the fault light has been staying on all the time, took into the deslership, they diagnosed it & ordered a new module, just found out today (February 27th) the part is on back order, the part consists of a complete steering wheel. I am still driving the vehicle, the dealership seems to feel it's ok to drive till the part arrives.

I drove mine until it got fixed. Just local around town at slower speeds. Not ideal, but although I was hyper aware, I did not feel unsafe. But still, I would insist on a loaner if it happened again. Glad you are getting the full replacement. I got the "other" fix which was some complicated bunch of module replacements, etc etc etc.

There is no reason to keep RPM below 4K. When the vehicle rolls off the assembly line they go WOT on the dyno.

And if you want the round tach then you can use the round tach. I don't see the issue.

I still think there is a good reason for a moderate break in period. Old school.

• Like 1

If you can be patient for the first 1000 miles, not a bad idea :) We don't have any data one way or the other. But if we are to believe production tolerances have improved so much, and/or break in is done at the factory, the payoff might be further down the road than with engines in the past.

I still think there is a good reason for a moderate break in period. Old school.

Can we start calling you OldSchoolDave? ;)

Wait. I am busy. Let me finish rolling down my window, adjusting my clutch and pushing the button on my radio to get the right station... there! All done except for refurbishing my drum style brakes. OK, now I am done. Sure, you can call me that :)

• Like 1

Other than an absurdly complex and unnecessary "feature" what was it about that video that shows what the exact problem is? If I had known more about this "feature" I wold not have bought this car. I hate over-engineered beta 1.0 crap features. Easy to see why all that crap in there could cause the clicking that I have mentioned in above posts. What the hell was Ford thinking?

Edited by CapeDave

Other than an absurdly complex and unnecessary "feature" what was it about that video that shows what the exact problem is? If I had known more about this "feature" I wold not have bought this car. I hate over-engineered beta 1.0 crap features. Easy to see why all that crap in there could cause the clicking that I have mentioned in above posts. What the hell was Ford thinking?

It's not the what, it's the who.
  • Like 1

It's not the what, it's the who.

Oh I see! Light dawns on marble head :) This quote is, well, inaccurate to be polite, and a total load of BS.

"Steering wheels are a whole other matter — and there have been no insinuations of any widespread defects in them or the other parts that Takata makes."

Overall, just makes me feel that I made the wrong decision. Ouch.