Adaptive steering fault

Adaptive Steering Fault... yup, I got intermittent warning lights at 4,000 miles, then three weeks ago became constant (every time the vehicle is shut down and then started). It's now in the shop at Koch33 Ford since Wednesday, June 28th. Got a call from the dealership this morning that the part won't be available until July 15th.

Has anyone contacted Ford directly about this problem and the part availability (what, are they making the parts as needed?) and, if so, what was the result?

I was getting the adaptive steering fault intermittently at first. It started when the odometer was at about 5600 km. Around the end of May I took it into Ford and they said they'd have to order a replacement part, no ETA. It didn't appear to be affecting steering, so I didn't have to leave the vehicle at the shop. I think adaptive steering was just getting disabled, so normal steering mode was active instead. The warning got progressively more frequent until it would show up as soon as I started the vehicle every single time.

Then I was out of town for a little over three weeks and came home to a dead battery. Since then, I have not had the warning once and adaptive steering seems to be working. I'm still waiting for the replacement part which has apparently now been shipped. I'm hoping they still replace it since I don't think a dead battery is a real solution.

I was getting the adaptive steering fault intermittently at first. It started when the odometer was at about 5600 km. Around the end of May I took it into Ford and they said they'd have to order a replacement part, no ETA. It didn't appear to be affecting steering, so I didn't have to leave the vehicle at the shop. I think adaptive steering was just getting disabled, so normal steering mode was active instead. The warning got progressively more frequent until it would show up as soon as I started the vehicle every single time.

Then I was out of town for a little over three weeks and came home to a dead battery. Since then, I have not had the warning once and adaptive steering seems to be working. I'm still waiting for the replacement part which has apparently now been shipped. I'm hoping they still replace it since I don't think a dead battery is a real solution.

The dead battery most likely caused the module to reset and it will come back when it determines it is still faulty. The part they shipped is a new wheel, but the car should be safe to drive as you have already experienced. If your car though the code that is in this thread and they have already ordered your wheel they will swap it no worries.

Malcolm

The dead battery most likely caused the module to reset and it will come back when it determines it is still faulty. The part they shipped is a new wheel, but the car should be safe to drive as you have already experienced. If your car though the code that is in this thread and they have already ordered your wheel they will swap it no worries.

Malcolm

I definitely spoke too soon. When I drove this afternoon, the fault was back.

• 1 month later...

I have Edge Titanium 2016 with only 3400km and had several problem with the power steering

-One morning NO power steering the Edge was towed to dealer he reprogramed the power steering was working but more difficult to turn the steering wheel than before

- after 3 times I had an error message telling a fault in adaptative steering but when I arrive in the dealer the message was no longer on the dashboard but the steering is more difficult than before

-Last wednesday, I was making a right turn and suddently the power stering no longer answer and I hit the border of the street and the Front left wheel was seriouly damaged

-The Edge was towed to the dealer and they discover by scanning the code for the power steering that a motor was dead and all the steering wheel must be replaced

PROBLEM, they are so much demand for Edge steering wheel that they are B/O for a minimum of 3 weeks beacuse of the problem reported above

I have Edge Titanium 2016 with only 3400km and had several problem with the power steering

-One morning NO power steering the Edge was towed to dealer he reprogramed the power steering was working but more difficult to turn the steering wheel than before

- after 3 times I had an error message telling a fault in adaptative steering but when I arrive in the dealer the message was no longer on the dashboard but the steering is more difficult than before

-Last wednesday, I was making a right turn and suddently the power stering no longer answer and I hit the border of the street and the Front left wheel was seriouly damaged

-The Edge was towed to the dealer and they discover by scanning the code for the power steering that a motor was dead and all the steering wheel must be replaced

PROBLEM, they are so much demand for Edge steering wheel that they are B/O for a minimum of 3 weeks beacuse of the problem reported above

I was told it would take about three weeks when the steering wheel was ordered on May 16. It arrived on July 6, so it was more like 7 weeks. I hope you don't have to wait that long.

Is the dealer offering to repair the wheel since they had supposedly "fixed" the power steering?

I haven't had any issues since the steering wheel was replaced.

I also had issue multiple times when the steering wheel was behaving weird (making some noise etc) and the message "Adaptive Steering Wheel Fault" was appearing. I don't get why Ford doesn't do a recall on that issue? It's definitely affects the safeness, I almost hit the other car parked next to mine :(

I also had issue multiple times when the steering wheel was behaving weird (making some noise etc) and the message "Adaptive Steering Wheel Fault" was appearing. I don't get why Ford doesn't do a recall on that issue? It's definitely affects the safeness, I almost hit the other car parked next to mine :(

Before my wheel was replaced, I set the steering to normal mode and didn't use the adaptive mode. I'm not sure if it made a big difference, but I didn't want the steering sensitivity to change if the fault showed up while I was turning. I found the difference between the two modes to be most noticeable at slower speeds, especially while parking.

That's exactly what it was designed to do - make it easier to steer at slower speeds such as while parking.

I find it also requires more effort to turn the wheel at higher speeds which I like. I find my self over correcting a ton on the Normal mode VS Sport. Coming from a car with a hydraulic rack I feel more in tune with the car in the Sport mode.

@Quila it is always on just different levels of how it changes. It is only off when it fails.

I find it also requires more effort to turn the wheel at higher speeds which I like. I find my self over correcting a ton on the Normal mode VS Sport. Coming from a car with a hydraulic rack I feel more in tune with the car in the Sport mode.

@Quila it is always on just different levels of how it changes. It is only off when it fails.

I understand that it's always on when it's enabled, I just notice it most when I'm parking.

I just think that there's a small risk of hitting something if you're maneuvering into a tight parking spot when the adaptive steering fails and you suddenly find yourself back in normal steering mode. I often don't have the luxury of finding a big open parking spot with no obstacles to avoid, so there's usually not much room for error.

• Like 1

I understand that it's always on when it's enabled, I just notice it most when I'm parking.

I just think that there's a small risk of hitting something if you're maneuvering into a tight parking spot when the adaptive steering fails and you suddenly find yourself back in normal steering mode. I often don't have the luxury of finding a big open parking spot with no obstacles to avoid, so there's usually not much room for error.

Yeah I get you that would suck I can happily say that after my new wheel I have not had one single fault but where I started getting faults was after I went on a 2k mi road trip and that will be again soon so will update if anything happens on that trip.

Here is a video I found on the Edge AS. Not as good as the F250 video at the dealer but still informative. The F250 video might be under the F250 section. I didn't realize there is multiple AS versions. I thought only Normal and Sport but you can select Sport in Sport mode and gain another level of AS handling/function. View the video to see.

https://owner.ford.com/content/ford-dot-com/en/how-tos/vehicle-features/convenience-and-comfort/adaptive-steering.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Same issue for me but now with a new twist. Took it in 3 times, last time they said they did a software upgrade. Was good for a few days then error message came up again and came on everytime I started it.

Last week, I started the car and backed out of a parking spot. Put it in drive and started to pull away, then notice something wasn't quite right. Realized the steering was 90 degrees off - the top of the steering wheel was 90 degrees to the right. Everything else was the same.

Left it with the shop this morning. They were puzzled, to say the least.

Otherwise, great car! Hope they can figure this out.

• 1 month later...

I had to have the steering wheel replaced.

2016 Ford Edge Sport.

Had a courtesy car for 3 weeks...

No problems so far since the wheel was replaced. The steering wheel isn't as loose when turning now.

The steering wheel was turned left 90 degrees despite the wheels being straight. Turning off and on the car no longer reset it.

Had to visit the dealership when it happened. The error message needs to be on when you visit or else they will probably ask you to come back when it happens again so don't turn the car off until they see it or you risk the error going away the car self fixing itself upon turning back on.. at least initially.

post-48540-0-69189600-1508457956_thumb.jpg

Edited by GenEDGE
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been about a year since the steering wheel assembly was swapped from a new Edge Sport into our Edge Titanium.

Fixed. No problems. No lights. The Edge runs and rolls like we had hoped. We are very happy now with our purchase.

And I do love the adaptive steering... and the adaptive cruise control. I really like that on our trips to our son's home in Arizona. Between that and the lane keeping system, the car almost drives itself.

And you get the best gas mileage when you use the adaptive cruise control.

Anyway... after months of hassle... it did get fixed. And it appears the new vehicles coming off the line have the issue fixed.

Happy driving everyone!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I purchased a new 2016 Edge Sport in June of 2017. Got a great deal as it had been sitting in the showroom since delivery. The AS light would periodically come on when I started the car so I'd turn it off and it would go away. Until I hit about 7000 miles.

I'm glad I found this forum or I'd be pretty concerned. I had traded in my beloved 2014 F150 for this car due to a ridiculous stereo issue that had been ongoing for 2nd years that the dealership couldn't figure out. Sounds as though there's a fix for this problem! I have an appointment on 1/5 so hoping it won't be another year of a loaner vehicle such as I had with my F150.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the same type of error (still under the 36k mile warranty) that Raven has. I took it into my dealer to be checked out for the second time and they are going to replace the steering wheel. I'll post again after the new part is in and working.

Edited by TourGuide
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done this repair themselves? We have a 2016 Edge Sport and just started getting this fault. The steering wheel is not rotated in any crazy angle (yet), but the warning indicator is kind of annoying. Our Edge is out of warranty and am curious if this is a repair that an average DIY'er can tackle? Anyone? Changing the steering wheel doesnt look too difficult, but with the adaptive steering, Im not sure this will severely complicate things. Any help would be appreciated!