Adaptive steering fault

I don't get this either. I think Ford has nailed the dash cluster out of the park in terms of readability and usability. It has to be personal preference as my Fusion Titanium was just like this and I was pleased to see that Ford kept the exact same setup for our Edge Sports.

I have a 2013 Fusion titanium - maybe that's why I like it.

I don't get this either. I think Ford has nailed the dash cluster out of the park in terms of readability and usability. It has to be personal preference as my Fusion Titanium was just like this and I was pleased to see that Ford kept the exact same setup for our Edge Sports.

I have never driven a sport, but I suspect that they might well have a different cluster than the one I speak of. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure now that I think about it. Gauges that need to disseminate information clearly and quickly without eye strain is SCIENCE, not personal preference. I assure you of that. Ask any airline pilot :) And take a look at a Porsche cluster next chance you get. Maybe the moderator should break this out into a separate thread?

• Like 1

I don't sell cars.

I'll say it again - this is just personal preference. I bet a lot more owners like it than hate it.

Many pardons, I misinterpreted from your info that said Ford Edge Legal Resident and the fact that you are a moderator that you worked for Ford. I guess I am dreaming that they would read these forums as I knew more about my steering issue than they did at the service center. Anyways, my bad. But I still disagree wholeheartedly :)

Yup, that is a 100% different cluster :)

No it's almost exactly like the Edge cluster. Google images of it.

This is why I also don't love the look. It's barely evolved since the the 2011 Edge when it was introduced. A little bit cleaner, and sharper but still the same basic design and colors.

No it's almost exactly like the Edge cluster. Google images of it.

This is why I also don't love the look. It's barely evolved since the the 2011 Edge when it was introduced. A little bit cleaner, and sharper but still the same basic design and colors.

Oh, ouch. I stand corrected. I will do that. I may have been thinking of the Lincoln equivalent model cluster, THAT actually is different. Still needs huge improvement though. I will not make this mistake in my next car. I'll go back to the classic look of the BMW cluster even though that car is not as quiet as my Edge. It is also too much $$$ :)

I went to Ford's site to check on this. The Sport has essentially the same cluster. As a side note, I noticed that they used a female model in the car who looks not old enough to drive. Her hips fit in the narrow seat. Mine, quite average for a 65 year old male, definitely do not.

Edited by CapeDave

Just for the record, none of the moderators on any of the blueovalforums related websites (fordedgeforum, fordfusionforum, etc. etc.) are affiliated with Ford in any way. We're just volunteers who love cars and spend a good bit of time on the website anyway so we help out Robert the site owner.

I'm not disputing whether you like the cluster or not or whether it's a problem for you personally, but it's still just personal preference. These clusters have been out since late 2012 and I can count on one hand the number of complaints from the Fusion and Edge forums. I for one have no problem finding the info I need at a quick glance nor do the colors strain my eyes. And I know that some people probably bought a Fusion or Edge because of the cluster and the fact that it looks more modern to them (think diehard smartphone lovers).

Our MKX is a bit more subdued but I don't have any problem switching back and forth from the Fusion to the MKX.

As a diehard smartphone user and a person who really appreciates the thought that goes into good UI, I can say that the Edge cluster really has a lot of room for improvement. akirby, you've been very accepting of the design. Perhaps you just don't have the same passion for great UI?

As a diehard smartphone user and a person who really appreciates the thought that goes into good UI, I can say that the Edge cluster really has a lot of room for improvement. akirby, you've been very accepting of the design. Perhaps you just don't have the same passion for great UI?

Amen Mike, you get it! If that were on a website it would be unusable :) I will now be stopping my "rant" even though it was most informative :) The original topic of this thread is way more important.

Well I do have 30 years experience in IT development and architecture, but I will confess I usually prefer command lines to GUIs.

I don't have an issue with the colors - I like them. I keep the right hand menu on climate - temperature and the left hand display is on the vertical Tach and fuel economy and that's the way I leave it.

The left hand menu system is a little clunky but I rarely use it. The layout could be improved but again it gives me all the info I want the way it is.

To me it's more function over form and for me it's perfectly functional the way it is. YMMV.

I leave mine on the circle tach and temp and fuel, I mean come on if you get the sport and want to try to get good mileage your kidding yourself lol. I agree the euro cluster and NA explorer one looks nicer but at the same time my vision is not as good as many so having the speedo in the middle does help and I prefer an analog speedo to digital. The entertainment portion of the cluster though does suck and shows almost no information. If people want the other cluster look here: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22024-north-american-2016-ford-edge-sport-instrument-cluster-upgrade/

Now we should get back on topic I think this thread has been derailed lol.

Malcolm

Edited by rvcjew
  • Like 1

I leave mine on the circle tach and temp and fuel, I mean come on if you get the sport and want to try to get good mileage your kidding yourself lol. I agree the euro tach and explorer one looks nicer but at the same time my vision is not as good as many so having the speedo in the middle does help and I prefer an analog speedo to digital. The entertainment portion of the cluster though does suck and shows almost no information. If people want the other cluster look here: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22024-north-american-2016-ford-edge-sport-instrument-cluster-upgrade/

Now we should get back on topic I think this thread has been derailed lol.

Malcolm

Ah, I was right, I knew the Sport had a different cluster, albeit as an option :) Next time any of you are able take a look at the 2016/17Honda Accord cluster. I parked next to one at night and had the honor and pleasure of viewing it. I stood there staring at it, mesmerized by its pureness of design.

post-39404-0-57778000-1486602609_thumb.jpg

post-39404-0-79196900-1486602626_thumb.png

Edited by CapeDave

Ah, I was right, I knew the Sport had a different cluster, albeit as an option :) Next time any of you are able take a look at the 2016/17Honda Accord cluster. I parked next to one at night and had the honor and pleasure of viewing it. I stood there staring at it, mesmerized by its pureness of design.

The Sport doesn't have a different cluster. European models of the Edge do, but not in NA.

The Sport doesn't have a different cluster. European models of the Edge do, but not in NA.

Oh, again I stand corrected. Thanks. Even though I have alot to learn, I know I could teach Ford a thing or two. I will start a separate thread before I "pontificate" about the seats :) There are some things I like about this car also. The engine is superb. The quietness is excellent. And the tech generally works great. And on a smooth road, it drives impeccably.

Poor UI design is generally "unusable" on the web. I do not have any specifics. But try keeping a sharp eye on the tach when in vertical mode. Ouch.

Why do I need to watch the tach in the first place?

Ok, we're not going to agree on this one so to each his own. Back on topic since I can't split this out to its own topic.

I do watch the tach sometimes, much less now than when I first got the Edge, to get a feel for how the power band and shifting are designed in this case. When you take O/D off, it works pretty similar to a manual trans, so it is a good idea to know what is "normal" to know when something happens that is "not normal". Plus you can intuit better when you know how the sound of your ride matches the revs and the gears, which makes you a better driver, even when the computer is really making 99% of the decisions for you :)

Not that I want to go back to a stickshift mind you, the traffic around here just doesn't allow it. If I could have a "weekender", then most definitely!

• Like 2