Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Adaptive steering fault

• Please log in to reply
439 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   PaulSchott

PaulSchott

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 314 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:2007

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:29 AM

(Referring to the link put up by macbwt on page 19)

I love the statement about Takata air bags.

Air bag inflators that can fail and "injure" people.

Is a punctured carotid artery an injury?

Remember the old Ford slogan "Ford has a better idea"

I'm not against technology,  I'm against dealing with a company (Takata not Ford) that has covered up its problems and is dragging its feet on recalls.  Just about every month there are new cars added to the Takata recalls.  Takata should be spending all of its resources on airbag replacement and not developing new toys that will just end up on new recall lists. 

I prefer to point my car where I want it to go. 

Edited by PaulSchott, 25 April 2017 - 06:45 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#422 OFFLINE   CapeDave

CapeDave

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 135 posts
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

(Referring to the link put up by macbwt on page 19)

I love the statement about Takata air bags.

Air bag inflators that can fail and "injure" people.

Is a punctured carotid artery an injury?

Remember the old Ford slogan "Ford has a better idea"

I'm not against technology,  I'm against dealing with a company (Takata not Ford) that has covered up its problems and is dragging its feet on recalls.  Just about every month there are new cars added to the Takata recalls.  Takata should be spending all of its resources on airbag replacement and not developing new toys that will just end up on new recall lists. 

I prefer to point my car where I want it to go. 

We think precisely alike. I hate everything about that company. Because of them, I will most likely not be buying another Ford. Sucks.

#423 OFFLINE   Hermans

Hermans

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

The Takata airbag recalls affect 18 auto manufactures including Ford. Looks like you will be riding a bike.

• CapeDave likes this

#424 OFFLINE   CapeDave

CapeDave

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:23 PM

The Takata airbag recalls affect 18 auto manufactures including Ford. Looks like you will be riding a bike.

Roger that. Thanks for the clarity. I get it. It is a Takata thing, not a Ford thing. I now hate Takata 18 times more than I did before :)

#425 OFFLINE   Martindwright

Martindwright

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

Hi

I have recently bought a Ford Edge Sport in the UK and after owning and loving driving it the Adaptive Steering Malfunction warning came on It has now been to Ford Dealership twice and tomorrow they will fit a new Steering Wheel lets hope that works but not convinced 

RAttached File  IMG_2257 2.JPG   102.92KB   2 downloads

#426 OFFLINE   t0lkman

t0lkman

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 141 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:None

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

So I've got the same message alert today in the morning, afternoon it has disappeared though...

#427 OFFLINE   RedEdge16

RedEdge16

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:08 AM

Mine has come and gone for a month. Took it to the dealer last week, who acknowledged the issue; My Edge is going back in at the end of the week for the fix.

#428 OFFLINE   t0lkman

t0lkman

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

Mine has come and gone for a month. Took it to the dealer last week, who acknowledged the issue; My Edge is going back in at the end of the week for the fix.

How are they planning to fix it?

#429 OFFLINE   rvcjew

rvcjew

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

How are they planning to fix it?

New Wheel.

Malcolm

#430 OFFLINE   t0lkman

t0lkman

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:37 PM

Really? is it how they solve the problem for others here as well? Basically, they confirm it's a hardware issue? not just some software glitch...

#431 OFFLINE   rvcjew

rvcjew

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

Really? is it how they solve the problem for others here as well? Basically, they confirm it's a hardware issue? not just some software glitch...

It seems to be a over time tolerance issue with the gears inside the wheel itself so they have revised the design internally and also I believe updated some software as well. For some they just got a revised clock spring but and I think they are okay but some came back from that so they went back and just fixed the core issue of the wheel itself I guess. 

FYI: My wheel was replaced and is same on the outside but my down arrow on the left side controls is a little finicky while my original wheel was perfect. I was not gonna fight them on this though as the wheel works fine and tracks fine.

Malcolm

Edited by rvcjew, 13 May 2017 - 02:42 PM.

#432 OFFLINE   RedEdge16

RedEdge16

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

Yes, my understanding is that the fix is a new steering wheel. I'll update/confirm when I have the Edge worked on on Friday. 

#433 OFFLINE   CapeDave

CapeDave

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

I got the software/clock spring replacement fix. There have been no issues that I know of since the fix. It appears to be OK. But I got this just on the cusp when the standard fix became a wheel replacement. I am a bit nervous that Maybe I should have gotten that fix. If it had been another week or two I would have had the knowledge of it (new wheel) being a default fix and would have insisted upon it.

I wish everyone well who has had this issue.

If anyone else got the clock spring repair and is having any further issues, I would be most grateful to hear from you.

#434 OFFLINE   richzx14

richzx14

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

Got the new steering wheel fix on 5/7/17. So far so good with no fault messages. Will advise the forum (and Ford) if any more fault messages. My service advisor did say the technician had to contact Ford Technology Center to implement the required "programming" to complete the new wheel installation.

• rvcjew likes this

#435 OFFLINE   Martindwright

Martindwright

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

Hi

I have recently bought a Ford Edge Sport in the UK and after owning and loving driving it the Adaptive Steering Malfunction warning came on It has now been to Ford Dealership twice and tomorrow they will fit a new Steering Wheel lets hope that works but not convinced 

Rattachicon.gifIMG_2257 2.JPG

Ford dealer UK won't allow car to be driven on road as it is "NOT SAFE" to be on the road be advised that Insurance may be void if you drive this vehicle with Warning light appearing ????

#436 OFFLINE   richzx14

richzx14

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:56 PM

My service advisor told me the Ford technician doing the repair and said it was safe to drive (even with the fault warning light coming on intermittently) while awaiting the new steering wheel. I drove it for a week with new problem. I have read about steering wheels that were turned 90 degrees to one side even while driving straight. That I could see being unsafe. 

#437 OFFLINE   RC Mike

RC Mike

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 42 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:38 PM

More unnerving than unsafe, from what those who have experienced it have said. That's likely why there isn't a recall for this. Ours has close to 1,500 miles since we got the new wheel. No problems.

#438 OFFLINE   rvcjew

rvcjew

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:18 AM

I also think the new wheel will be the correct fix, I have over 4,000 on mine now without issue.

Malcolm

#439 OFFLINE   RedEdge16

RedEdge16

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

Good news, less good news on the adaptive steering fault fix. Good news: Fixed. Less good news: The techs forgot to reprogram the car so that the adaptive steering works. (The option is grayed out in the instrument cluster.) So I'm stuck with regular power steering until I go back for that fix. I can live with that. First world problems.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#440 OFFLINE   pnewby

pnewby

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

Had mine replaced last August and no messages or crooked wheels since then.  I do need to pau the dealer a visit though.  Horn is hard to blow, but since I don't live in New York it isn't too bad. :) 

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users