Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Adaptive steering fault

• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   FAST380

FAST380

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

Sorry for the cross post, I started a new thread on this subject, but there are so many people on this thread with steering issues I thought I would ask if anybody had these same issues.

We just picked up a new 2017 Edge Sport last week.

The best way to describe the issue is, it feels like the tires are grabbing a groove in the road and changing direction, but they aren't.

When going around a long sweeping turn, with a constant pressure on the steering wheel, the resistance will all of a sudden get softer, causing you to turn a little sharper. It feels like the tire grabs a groove and pulls, but that is definitely not what is happening, it is definitely in the steering, and yes it has the adaptive steering.

Has anybody felt anything like this?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#442 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 47 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

Sorry for the cross post, I started a new thread on this subject, but there are so many people on this thread with steering issues I thought I would ask if anybody had these same issues.

We just picked up a new 2017 Edge Sport last week.

The best way to describe the issue is, it feels like the tires are grabbing a groove in the road and changing direction, but they aren't.

When going around a long sweeping turn, with a constant pressure on the steering wheel, the resistance will all of a sudden get softer, causing you to turn a little sharper. It feels like the tire grabs a groove and pulls, but that is definitely not what is happening, it is definitely in the steering, and yes it has the adaptive steering.

Has anybody felt anything like this?

Sounds like your lane keeping system is whacked out.  Try turning it off and test it out.

#443 OFFLINE   RedEdge16

RedEdge16

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 34 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:45 PM

I agree with FAST380. This sounds like Lane Keeping is on and you're not used to it, or it may be set to its highest sensitivity. I've never had that steering issue with my '16 Edge Sport.

#444 OFFLINE   FAST380

FAST380

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

Like I said, it's new... Lane Keeping? I know we have the sensors in the side mirrors, but I didn't know we had lane keeping.... We do not have the Adaptive Cruise, which also did the braking, is the lane keeping part of that option we don't have?

#445 OFFLINE   rvcjew

rvcjew

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:24 PM

Like I said, it's new... Lane Keeping? I know we have the sensors in the side mirrors, but I didn't know we had lane keeping.... We do not have the Adaptive Cruise, which also did the braking, is the lane keeping part of that option we don't have?

On the turn signal stalk do you have a button on the end, and if you press it do you get a car with lines on either side show up in the left side of the Cluster? Also since you are feeling this issue on turns while making a turn that you know it can repeatably be done on and when safe to do so turn on your turn signal in the direction of the turn to disable the system if it is enabled and see if anything changes.

https://owner.ford.c...ing-system.html

Malcolm

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#446 OFFLINE   Martindwright

Martindwright

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:European Union

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

Ford dealer UK won't allow car to be driven on road as it is "NOT SAFE" to be on the road be advised that Insurance may be void if you drive this vehicle with Warning light appearing ????

My car has been in ford dealer for 4 weeks now they won't let me use it on the road as they say it is not road worthy waiting on back order wheel for 3 weeks so far.

#447 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,576 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

Did they provide you a rental for the duration?

#448 OFFLINE   ErikA

ErikA

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

Got the the dreaded Adaptive Steering Fault message today. Booked an appointment at the dealership for Friday. The steering wheel is at 90 degrees when the car is driving straight. Steering otherwise feels normal.

Is there a documented fix for this now?

2016 Edge Sport 15000 kms.

#449 OFFLINE   RC Mike

RC Mike

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

Yes, there's a fix. They replace the wheel with a revised one.

#450 OFFLINE   ErikA

ErikA

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

Update on the Adaptive Steering Fault error message. After turning off the car the steering wheel went back to 'almost normal', only about 20 degrees off of straight, and the error message went out and never came back again. At the dealer this morning the dealer/mechanic recognized the issue right away, has ordered all the parts and they will arrive on Monday. Hopefully I'll have the car back on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week at the latest. They were VERY good at the dealership. Kudos to them. They did not want me to drive it until the parts arrive so they paid for a rental. All done under warranty.

Edited by ErikA, 16 June 2017 - 12:17 PM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users