Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Adaptive steering fault

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,973 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

I found the difference between the two modes to be most noticeable at slower speeds, especially while parking.

That's exactly what it was designed to do - make it easier to steer at slower speeds such as while parking.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#462 OFFLINE   rvcjew

rvcjew

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 77 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

That's exactly what it was designed to do - make it easier to steer at slower speeds such as while parking.

I find it also requires more effort to turn the wheel at higher speeds which I like. I find my self over correcting a ton on the Normal mode VS Sport. Coming from a car with a hydraulic rack I feel more in tune with the car in the Sport mode.

@Quila it is always on just different levels of how it changes. It is only off when it fails.

#463 OFFLINE   Quila

Quila

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 16 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

I find it also requires more effort to turn the wheel at higher speeds which I like. I find my self over correcting a ton on the Normal mode VS Sport. Coming from a car with a hydraulic rack I feel more in tune with the car in the Sport mode.

@Quila it is always on just different levels of how it changes. It is only off when it fails.

I understand that it's always on when it's enabled, I just notice it most when I'm parking.

I just think that there's a small risk of hitting something if you're maneuvering into a tight parking spot when the adaptive steering fails and you suddenly find yourself back in normal steering mode.  I often don't have the luxury of finding a big open parking spot with no obstacles to avoid, so there's usually not much room for error.

• t0lkman likes this

#464 OFFLINE   rvcjew

rvcjew

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

I understand that it's always on when it's enabled, I just notice it most when I'm parking.

I just think that there's a small risk of hitting something if you're maneuvering into a tight parking spot when the adaptive steering fails and you suddenly find yourself back in normal steering mode.  I often don't have the luxury of finding a big open parking spot with no obstacles to avoid, so there's usually not much room for error.

Yeah I get you that would suck I can happily say that after my new wheel I have not had one single fault but where I started getting faults was after I went on a 2k mi road trip and that will be again soon so will update if anything happens on that trip.

#465 OFFLINE   richzx14

richzx14

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:22 AM

New steering wheel resolved all the fault issues. I quite like the Adaptive Steering functionality at low speed. Ford has a video (on the F250) at my dealer that shows how the AS works - they quote a 30% reduction in steering wheel turning effort at low speed.   

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#466 OFFLINE   richzx14

richzx14

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

Here is a video I found on the Edge AS. Not as good as the F250 video at the dealer but still informative. The F250 video might be under the F250 section. I didn't realize there is multiple AS versions. I thought only Normal and Sport but you can select Sport in Sport mode and gain another level of AS handling/function. View the video to see.

https://owner.ford.c...e-steering.html

#467 OFFLINE   joecollins1

joecollins1

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:07 AM

Same issue for me but now with a new twist.  Took it in 3 times, last time they said they did a software upgrade.  Was good for a few days then error message came up again and came on everytime I started it.

Last week, I started the car and backed out of a parking spot.  Put it in drive and started to pull away, then notice something wasn't quite right.  Realized the steering was 90 degrees off - the top of the steering wheel was 90 degrees to the right.  Everything else was the same.

Left it with the shop this morning.  They were puzzled, to say the least.

Otherwise, great car!  Hope they can figure this out.

#468 OFFLINE   rvcjew

rvcjew

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:10 AM

Yup, new wheel inbound for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users