Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Adaptive steering fault

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,856 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

I found the difference between the two modes to be most noticeable at slower speeds, especially while parking.

That's exactly what it was designed to do - make it easier to steer at slower speeds such as while parking.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#462 OFFLINE   rvcjew

rvcjew

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 75 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

That's exactly what it was designed to do - make it easier to steer at slower speeds such as while parking.

I find it also requires more effort to turn the wheel at higher speeds which I like. I find my self over correcting a ton on the Normal mode VS Sport. Coming from a car with a hydraulic rack I feel more in tune with the car in the Sport mode.

@Quila it is always on just different levels of how it changes. It is only off when it fails.

#463 OFFLINE   Quila

Quila

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

I find it also requires more effort to turn the wheel at higher speeds which I like. I find my self over correcting a ton on the Normal mode VS Sport. Coming from a car with a hydraulic rack I feel more in tune with the car in the Sport mode.

@Quila it is always on just different levels of how it changes. It is only off when it fails.

I understand that it's always on when it's enabled, I just notice it most when I'm parking.

I just think that there's a small risk of hitting something if you're maneuvering into a tight parking spot when the adaptive steering fails and you suddenly find yourself back in normal steering mode.  I often don't have the luxury of finding a big open parking spot with no obstacles to avoid, so there's usually not much room for error.

• t0lkman likes this

#464 OFFLINE   rvcjew

rvcjew

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

I understand that it's always on when it's enabled, I just notice it most when I'm parking.

I just think that there's a small risk of hitting something if you're maneuvering into a tight parking spot when the adaptive steering fails and you suddenly find yourself back in normal steering mode.  I often don't have the luxury of finding a big open parking spot with no obstacles to avoid, so there's usually not much room for error.

Yeah I get you that would suck I can happily say that after my new wheel I have not had one single fault but where I started getting faults was after I went on a 2k mi road trip and that will be again soon so will update if anything happens on that trip.

#465 OFFLINE   richzx14

richzx14

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:22 AM

New steering wheel resolved all the fault issues. I quite like the Adaptive Steering functionality at low speed. Ford has a video (on the F250) at my dealer that shows how the AS works - they quote a 30% reduction in steering wheel turning effort at low speed.   

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#466 OFFLINE   richzx14

richzx14

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

Here is a video I found on the Edge AS. Not as good as the F250 video at the dealer but still informative. The F250 video might be under the F250 section. I didn't realize there is multiple AS versions. I thought only Normal and Sport but you can select Sport in Sport mode and gain another level of AS handling/function. View the video to see.

https://owner.ford.c...e-steering.html

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users