Adaptive steering fault

If your warranty is expired, warranty won't cover it.

But there may be good news.  Just today Ford released a recall for certain 16 Edge steering wheels.

Service action 19B04.

To see if your vehicle falls under that go to https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

If 19B04 comes up they will replace your steering wheel at no charge.

Edited by jmr061

25 minutes ago, Amerikaner83 said:

Looking to purchase a 2016 Sport, and the Carfax lists this as being issued, how can I tell if it's actually gotten done before I buy the thing (CPO from dealer)?  I could ask them, but is there any way to VERIFY it's been done?

Ask the dealer for an OASIS report.  The OASIS report is a detailed list of any and all service/ warranty work that has been done at any Ford Dealership.  If the repair has been reported to carfax then its a pretty good chance that the work has been done.   

This is a list of everything that is checked under the CPO program.

https://www.ford.com/certified-used/about-certified/inspection/

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

OASIS report?  Hmm what's that?

Edit - oh ok, it's basically Ford's internal "what we did" report.  I figure if it's being sold as a CPO from this dealer, they will perform the work if they haven't already.  

edit 2 - To clarify, Carfax isn't stating the work has been done - it's simply showing the issuance of the "Customer Satisfaction Program"  

image.png.b8181b06602ef0c0e64b6a02aae2bd07.png

Edited by Amerikaner83
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 12:00 AM, jmr061 said:

If your warranty is expired, warranty won't cover it.

But there may be good news.  Just today Ford released a recall for certain 16 Edge steering wheels.

Service action 19B04.

To see if your vehicle falls under that go to https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

If 19B04 comes up they will replace your steering wheel at no charge.

Hi Jason, 

Any details on the reasons for this recall? What are the symptoms or safety concern?  Also the remedy is only changing the steering? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, omar302 said:

Hi Jason, 

Any details on the reasons for this recall? What are the symptoms or safety concern?  Also the remedy is only changing the steering? 

In some of the affected vehicles, wire terminal plating in a steering wheel connector may wear away
and cause a poor connection between the steering wheel and the steering column control module.
This condition may cause the adaptive steering feature to become disabled and a message to display
in the instrument cluster that indicates “Adaptive Steering Fault – Service Required.” In some cases,
the steering wheel may not appear straight while the vehicle is driving straight. If the adaptive steering
becomes disabled, the steering system, including the power assist, remains fully functional.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had 19B04 addressed on my 16 Sport on Thursday.  The following day I noticed the steering wheel was slightly off center.  Today I pulled the service manual procedure for the replacement and it calls for partial alignment which they obviously didn't do since the steering wheel was off center.  I decided I better check all the programming stuff that was supposed to be done so I hooked up IDS and checked and nothing was done.  All they did was do the physical steering wheel replacement and sent me on my way.  I have a long email into them (polite) with what I discovered along with a print out of the service manual sections pertaining to everything that needs to be done when the steering wheel is replaced and everything highlighted that they forgot.  The fun of waiting for a reply.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 6

On 8/12/2018 at 2:56 AM, luxpow said:

I got it repaired finally. They replaced the steering wheel column as expected.

But I have no recollection of how light/heavy the adaptive steering is supposed to feel.

Is there a definite way to verify the adaptive steering still works ? The menu entries do exist still.

The whole COLUMN or just the steering wheel?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 8:38 PM, jmr061 said:

I had 19B04 addressed on my 16 Sport on Thursday.  The following day I noticed the steering wheel was slightly off center.  Today I pulled the service manual procedure for the replacement and it calls for partial alignment which they obviously didn't do since the steering wheel was off center.  I decided I better check all the programming stuff that was supposed to be done so I hooked up IDS and checked and nothing was done.  All they did was do the physical steering wheel replacement and sent me on my way.  I have a long email into them (polite) with what I discovered along with a print out of the service manual sections pertaining to everything that needs to be done when the steering wheel is replaced and everything highlighted that they forgot.  The fun of waiting for a reply.

Well it took a total of three visits including the original to get the job done properly.  Frustrating but at least its done. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So my wife's 2016 Ford Edge Sport has had this adaptive steering fault for a while.  We took it in while the car was still under factory warranty (sometime in 2017-2018) and the service advisor at the Ford dealership told us it was a code error and that nothing was wrong with the steering, which I believed.  He said they reset the system and the code was gone.  Well weeks later the error came back and has basically been back ever since.  Probably a mistake on my part, but we let it go on since we knew it was just a code error and nothing was truly wrong.

Well after thinking about it, I realize that we made the mistake of us demanding that they not fix it.  The car is under a full extended warranty that we purchased through Ford, but now if we ever try to sell or trade it in, I'm sure this will be used against us.

What are the odds that they're going to be able to fix this?  We have an appointment at the same Ford dealer I'm hoping that they can do a system update, as opposed to a full wheel replacement.  I doubt the wheel replacement will be covered under the full warranty.  Has anyone had luck with the system update and can advise me on what I need to tell the service advisor?

I did check the recall site with the VIN and nothing came up.

Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...

***Update***.  When I took the Edge in, they told us we would have to play the $100 deductible that's with our extended warranty, which I full expected.  They replaced the clock spring inside the steering wheel and the error code has been gone ever since.  Well when I went to check out, they said I didn't owe anything.

I'm assuming this was because of the recall, but was surprised they still honored it since we didn't complete the work before the required deadline.

Glad it worked out in the end.

11 hours ago, edgenoles said:

***Update***.  When I took the Edge in, they told us we would have to play the $100 deductible that's with our extended warranty, which I full expected.  They replaced the clock spring inside the steering wheel and the error code has been gone ever since.  Well when I went to check out, they said I didn't owe anything.

I'm assuming this was because of the recall, but was surprised they still honored it since we didn't complete the work before the required deadline.

Glad it worked out in the end.

Maybe the satifaction program was extended, especially considering the Covid-19 pandemic. But the fix was supposed to be the steering wheel itself, not the clockspring. Did they install a new steering wheel?

• 9 months later...

Have a 2016 Edge Titanium. Had the steering wheel replaced in 2018 due to this issue. Adaptive Steering fault message showed up again in late 2020. No steering issues. Drove it for at least six months. Took it to the dealer for the latest recall on the brake hoses and aske them to check out the adaptive Steering fault. They tell me it’s now in the “steering column” and it is “kaput”. Interesting in that there have been zero steering issues and everything I read in this thread said the guts of this system are in the steering wheel. Told them to clear the code and I’ll take my car back. Ford needs to make this right.