Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Adaptive steering fault

• Please log in to reply
444 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   junehhan

junehhan

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 313 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:50 PM

Just give then a chance to do their job and get things fixed. Something this new unfortunately means there are sometimes issues that will need to be fixed. If you feel things are not progressing like they should, escalate it to the service manager, then the dealer GM. If that does nothing, your next step in the chain is with Ford's customer service hotline where a regional representative will get involved. Does your dealer offer loaners? Mine does but not all of them do. Just be polite and stay completely factual during correspondence. Once it gets resolved, I bet you will be back to loving this car again. Also give the Ford seats some time. They usually get much more comfortable after they have had a chance to break in which can take 5k miles or more.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   CapeDave

CapeDave

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 135 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:43 PM

Just give then a chance to do their job and get things fixed. Something this new unfortunately means there are sometimes issues that will need to be fixed. If you feel things are not progressing like they should, escalate it to the service manager, then the dealer GM. If that does nothing, your next step in the chain is with Ford's customer service hotline where a regional representative will get involved. Does your dealer offer loaners? Mine does but not all of them do. Just be polite and stay completely factual during correspondence. Once it gets resolved, I bet you will be back to loving this car again. Also give the Ford seats some time. They usually get much more comfortable after they have had a chance to break in which can take 5k miles or more.

Thanks. Good advice. Except the main reason for the uncomfortable seats is a metal rod that is not padded correctly, so it would be impossible for it to get more comfortable over time.

But be calm and factual during negotiations is great advice :) 

#43 OFFLINE   junehhan

junehhan

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:16 AM

Thanks. Good advice. Except the main reason for the uncomfortable seats is a metal rod that is not padded correctly, so it would be impossible for it to get more comfortable over time.

But be calm and factual during negotiations is great advice :)

Yeah, emotions can run tense on both sides of the fence during issues like this, but staying 100% factual with the details while remaining calm will often help you to build rapport with others and they may be much more motivated to go the extra mile. The Titanium seats must be different as I thought they were all the same except for the faux suede inserts on the Sport. A good automotive upholstery shop can actually do wonders for the comfort of your seats. I even bet your dealer knows of some they could refer you to. Due to seat frame constraints, they will not be able to turn them into Lincoln Continental like couch cushions, but they can really do wonders.
  • CapeDave likes this

#44 OFFLINE   CapeDave

CapeDave

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, emotions can run tense on both sides of the fence during issues like this, but staying 100% factual with the details while remaining calm will often help you to build rapport with others and they may be much more motivated to go the extra mile. The Titanium seats must be different as I thought they were all the same except for the faux suede inserts on the Sport. A good automotive upholstery shop can actually do wonders for the comfort of your seats. I even bet your dealer knows of some they could refer you to. Due to seat frame constraints, they will not be able to turn them into Lincoln Continental like couch cushions, but they can really do wonders.

All the different seats in the different models make for a very confusing choice. Especially as my dealer never had these particular seats to test drive. Stay away from the "perforated" heated and cooled seats if you value your comfort!

#45 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,669 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

I test drove a platinum Edge with heated and cooled seats and I don't remember anything uncomfortable about them.   Are you sure yours aren't defective?  If not then it must just be a personal issue.  There are some complaints about the seat bottoms not being big enough and the cooling not working but don't recall any about that particular problem.

#46 OFFLINE   junehhan

junehhan

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:18 PM

I test drove a platinum Edge with heated and cooled seats and I don't remember anything uncomfortable about them.   Are you sure yours aren't defective?  If not then it must just be a personal issue.  There are some complaints about the seat bottoms not being big enough and the cooling not working but don't recall any about that particular problem.

You mean Titanium Edge? I do wish the seat bottom was a little wider and softer, but not terribly matched for the Sport trim level.

#47 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,669 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

Sorry yes - Titanium.  I always mix up my precious metals.

#48 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Member
  • 1,881 posts
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:13 PM

Sorry yes - Titanium.  I always mix up my precious metals.

Yup, makes one wonder what the 2018 palladium trim will include.

#49 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 9,669 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:16 PM

2018 Edge Unobtanium

#50 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Member
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

2018 Edge Unobtanium

Isn't that the 2020 Ford prototype where the body is made from transparent aluminum, stronger than helium and glows in the dark? Heard the engine is made out of plastic and powered by a fusion reactor. Wonder if Ford will able to get the door switches to work by then?
  • macbwt likes this

#51 OFFLINE   junehhan

junehhan

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:57 PM

Isn't that the 2020 Ford prototype where the body is made from transparent aluminum, stronger than helium and glows in the dark? Heard the engine is made out of plastic and powered by a fusion reactor. Wonder if Ford will able to get the door switches to work by then?

The unobtanium will be the first car in history that can penetrate into the earth's core as it strenthens the more pressure is exerted on it. It will also be able to convert that heat into energy to drive the electric motors and will need to be liquid helium cooled.

#52 OFFLINE   CapeDave

CapeDave

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

It may be defective. It may be due to poor design. The effect is the same. Unuseable. And I have let many friends of very different sizes try it and they "get it" right away.

But the steering issue is way more safety oriented, so let's make this thread about that. Others are having the precise same issue. Safety first.

#53 OFFLINE   Chris Furman

Chris Furman

New Edge Member

• Facebook Member
  • 18 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:16 PM

Definitely a safety issue, that is why I reported it here: https://www-odi.nhts...hicleComplaint/

The dealer gave me an update today, they are now trying a 3rd steering wheel and module. Will probably know more tomorrow.

Kills me, because I really like the car. But this made me very uneasy.

Edited by Chris Furman, 18 October 2016 - 06:16 PM.

• CapeDave likes this

#54 OFFLINE   angler

angler

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the info Chris. My car just sits. I will call the dearer tomorrow and suggest what is being tried on your car.

I am also uneasy. I want to drive this car to Florida but I don't need any mishaps on way down or back!

Will report to that website but I don't know if Canada counts.

#55 OFFLINE   junehhan

junehhan

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

Once you get it fixed, just gradually build your faith back up in the car. Fill it up with a few tanks of premium, go stomp some unsuspecting ricers with fart can mufflers, and I guarantee you will start to feel better. I am hoping it is just an isolated incident.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#56 OFFLINE   Chris Furman

Chris Furman

New Edge Member

• Facebook Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:59 PM

Once you get it fixed, just gradually build your faith back up in the car. Fill it up with a few tanks of premium, go stomp some unsuspecting ricers with fart can mufflers, and I guarantee you will start to feel better. I am hoping it is just an isolated incident.

Unfortunately with 2 kids in the back seat I will not be doing that anytime soon. My thoughts will be about gripping the wheel and making sure it does want to turn or change direction unexpectedly.

I'm glad that stomping on unsuspecting ricers helps you personally.

It will take a bit more than that for me.. especially when I'm driving around with precise cargo that is irreplaceable.

• CapeDave likes this

#57 OFFLINE   junehhan

junehhan

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:06 PM

Priorities are different when you drive alone and have yet to have children. Instead of picking fights with them, it is mostly satisfying denying them their signature drive by. Other times, it is just fun to,let the nano engine exercise itself those rare opportunities when you are first onto the highway onramp.

#58 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Member
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:26 PM

Chris, I sympathize with you completely. From a personal standpoint I have 100% confidence in my car. The moment that drops below complete confidence, I start looking for answers.
There is nothing more important to a man than his family. A dad will sacrifice anything, everything, for his wife and especially his kids; and their safety is more important than anything else.
There are so many dangers while driving a car, the last thing a father needs is to not feel his car is 10p% safe.
That said, I'm certain your dealer will find the problem and restore your trust.
  • CapeDave likes this

#59 OFFLINE   CapeDave

CapeDave

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

This is part of the issue. It did not become apparent until the 3 or 4th day I drove the car. And it is a serious issue.

#60 OFFLINE   Chris Furman

Chris Furman

New Edge Member

• Facebook Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:36 PM

Got the Edge Sport back last night after the dealer replaced the steering wheel and module again for the 2nd time. 

Went straight back to the dealer today and the steering column sounds like it is grinding something when you rotate the wheel.  Not good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users