Adaptive steering fault

Isn't that the 2020 Ford prototype where the body is made from transparent aluminum, stronger than helium and glows in the dark? Heard the engine is made out of plastic and powered by a fusion reactor. Wonder if Ford will able to get the door switches to work by then?

The unobtanium will be the first car in history that can penetrate into the earth's core as it strenthens the more pressure is exerted on it. It will also be able to convert that heat into energy to drive the electric motors and will need to be liquid helium cooled.

I test drove a platinum Edge with heated and cooled seats and I don't remember anything uncomfortable about them. Are you sure yours aren't defective? If not then it must just be a personal issue. There are some complaints about the seat bottoms not being big enough and the cooling not working but don't recall any about that particular problem.

It may be defective. It may be due to poor design. The effect is the same. Unuseable. And I have let many friends of very different sizes try it and they "get it" right away.

But the steering issue is way more safety oriented, so let's make this thread about that. Others are having the precise same issue. Safety first.

Definitely a safety issue, that is why I reported it here: https://www-odi.nhts...hicleComplaint/

The dealer gave me an update today, they are now trying a 3rd steering wheel and module. Will probably know more tomorrow.

Kills me, because I really like the car. But this made me very uneasy.

Edited by Chris Furman
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info Chris. My car just sits. I will call the dearer tomorrow and suggest what is being tried on your car.

I am also uneasy. I want to drive this car to Florida but I don't need any mishaps on way down or back!

Will report to that website but I don't know if Canada counts.

Once you get it fixed, just gradually build your faith back up in the car. Fill it up with a few tanks of premium, go stomp some unsuspecting ricers with fart can mufflers, and I guarantee you will start to feel better. I am hoping it is just an isolated incident.

Unfortunately with 2 kids in the back seat I will not be doing that anytime soon. My thoughts will be about gripping the wheel and making sure it does want to turn or change direction unexpectedly.

I'm glad that stomping on unsuspecting ricers helps you personally.

It will take a bit more than that for me.. especially when I'm driving around with precise cargo that is irreplaceable.

• Like 1

Priorities are different when you drive alone and have yet to have children. Instead of picking fights with them, it is mostly satisfying denying them their signature drive by. Other times, it is just fun to,let the nano engine exercise itself those rare opportunities when you are first onto the highway onramp.

Chris, I sympathize with you completely. From a personal standpoint I have 100% confidence in my car. The moment that drops below complete confidence, I start looking for answers.

There is nothing more important to a man than his family. A dad will sacrifice anything, everything, for his wife and especially his kids; and their safety is more important than anything else.

There are so many dangers while driving a car, the last thing a father needs is to not feel his car is 10p% safe.

That said, I'm certain your dealer will find the problem and restore your trust.

• Like 1

I test drove a platinum Edge with heated and cooled seats and I don't remember anything uncomfortable about them. Are you sure yours aren't defective? If not then it must just be a personal issue. There are some complaints about the seat bottoms not being big enough and the cooling not working but don't recall any about that particular problem.

This is part of the issue. It did not become apparent until the 3 or 4th day I drove the car. And it is a serious issue.

Yup, not good. I am scared every day. Car goes in on Monday. I really do not want them to start doing crazy stuff to TRY and fix it. I just want the damn thing fixed, fixed right, and without breaking or even scratching anything else in the process.

Now could be the time to get that regional customer rep involved. If your dealer has tried twice and failed, either they are not qualified to make these repairs(most likely) or they have recieved a string of bad parts(less likely). I have never had any issues with warranty work, but I have a great relationship with a single dealer who our family exclusively uses and they only use veteran techs.

• Like 2

Hi all,

My adaptive steering fault light came on this AM and I'm feeling sick ---we've only had our 2016 Ford Edge Sport for 1 month. To make matters worse, this was our replacement car for our diesel VW--ughhhh... So my questions to those who have dealt with this issue so far is:

-Did the steering wheel need to be replaced or is this just a computer glitch?

-how long did the repair take (sounds like a long time for some)?

-did your warranty cover it? We do not have an extended warranty - just the basic - but the car has less than 2,000 miles

-is it safe to drive, at least for the next two days. I transport my kids in this car and I want to be sure it's safe.

Thank you!!

Hi, I feel your pain. I had my car in yesterday for diagnostics on this same thing. They said, "I need a new "Clock Spring"." They were not sure about it and said they would order the part and then see what was up, and then judge if they needed to order a new steering wheel. I am heartbroken that my new car may get a new steering wheel, I kind of love this one!

And she also said it would be in the shop a few days if that were the case :(

They let me drive it out. I am very sensitive to how the car drives and it feels OK to me. But I may not take it on a long trip. If it did start not driving well I wold notice and take whatever action was needed. No loaner for me. That does not come with their standard warranty. Yuck.

We are in this together, let's work to get this stupid issue solved 100%. Dave

Mine is a part not the steering wheel. Dealer already fixed one car by replacing the part.They said if not for that fix they might know know what to do..

I have the part name and number but left it in Canada.

I have been told that part has to be re-engineered which is why it is not available until Nov 29.

Dealer was not comfortable with my driving even though there seemed to be no effect. He was concerned that while driving the computer might recognize fault and shift into 'limp' mode - not good.

Dealer/Ford has supplied loaner.

Customer service rep was useless, just repeated the party line.

Mine is a part not the steering wheel. Dealer already fixed one car by replacing the part.They said if not for that fix they might know know what to do..

I have the part name and number but left it in Canada.

I have been told that part has to be re-engineered which is why it is not available until Nov 29.

Dealer was not comfortable with my driving even though there seemed to be no effect. He was concerned that while driving the computer might recognize fault and shift into 'limp' mode - not good.

Dealer/Ford has supplied loaner.

Customer service rep was useless, just repeated the party line.

Curious as to how you have already fixed one car if the new part is not available until November 29th? Also very upset that my dealer happily let me drive off. What is the real deal with this issue? Car safe or not? I need to do a 2 hour drive tomorrow but cannot risk life doing it. DAMN this sucks.

Hi all,

My adaptive steering fault light came on this AM and I'm feeling sick ---we've only had our 2016 Ford Edge Sport for 1 month. To make matters worse, this was our replacement car for our diesel VW--ughhhh... So my questions to those who have dealt with this issue so far is:

-Did the steering wheel need to be replaced or is this just a computer glitch?

-how long did the repair take (sounds like a long time for some)?

-did your warranty cover it? We do not have an extended warranty - just the basic - but the car has less than 2,000 miles

-is it safe to drive, at least for the next two days. I transport my kids in this car and I want to be sure it's safe.

Thank you!!

I wish I would have kept my previous VW... :-(

They supposedly replaced the steering wheel twice on mine, and the adaptive steering still isn't right. The part #s of the replacement wheels were different than the original one that came on the car.

3 weeks and still going....

Yes and better be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty

I also have 2 kids and have lost all confidence in this car. I refuse to drive my 2 kids in it. I'm driving a loaner from the dealer.

Ford Customer Service is the worst that I have ever experienced. They are playing a game. The rep accidentally called my mobile instead of the dealer and they left a message regarding me and my vehicle as if she was leaving a message for them. The things that were said did NOT have the customer's best interest or care in mind. I'll leave it at that. Absolutely horrible service and treatment.

I wish I would have kept my previous VW... :-(

They supposedly replaced the steering wheel twice on mine, and the adaptive steering still isn't right. The part #s of the replacement wheels were different than the original one that came on the car.

3 weeks and still going....

Yes and better be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty

I also have 2 kids and have lost all confidence in this car. I refuse to drive my 2 kids in it. I'm driving a loaner from the dealer.

Ford Customer Service is the worst that I have ever experienced. They are playing a game. The rep accidentally called my mobile instead of the dealer and they left a message regarding me and my vehicle as if she was leaving a message for them. The things that were said did NOT have the customer's best interest or care in mind. I'll leave it at that. Absolutely horrible service and treatment.

Make sure you do NOT delete that message. What a big mistake she made!

• Like 1

I have reported this issue as above. Had to cancel a road trip for business due to it just does not seem wise to do extra driving that is not very local. I wish Ford had let this "feature" gel for another year or two before doing us the "favor" of letting us beta test for them.

Hint: if you have Ford Credit, you can go there to get your VIN number for reporting purposes. Saves a trip to the car, etc.

Edited by CapeDave

Just took our Edge back into the dealership. The warning light is now staying on and I notice the steering wheel has moved a tad to the left while going straight. I'm now at 5500 miles.

I also filed a complaint, as was suggested, to the NHTSA. This might be nothing more than a software issue. Then again... it could be something very serious.

What is really irritating is that Ford doesn't make a care available when you have an obvious design problem on a brand new car.

Just took our Edge back into the dealership. The warning light is now staying on and I notice the steering wheel has moved a tad to the left while going straight. I'm now at 5500 miles.

I also filed a complaint, as was suggested, to the NHTSA. This might be nothing more than a software issue. Then again... it could be something very serious.

What is really irritating is that Ford doesn't make a care available when you have an obvious design problem on a brand new car.

Sorry to hear..

Nope, not software. It's a steering module harness problem. Make sure you keep a log of dates/times it happens. In most states, after 4 times for the same issue it's considered to be lemon and eligible for buyback.

The loaner is all on the dealer. I would push the dealer for one. Mentioning of the service survey works like magic in some situations.

Hi all,

Well, my new Edge went into the dealer last Wed. Finally got it back on Saturday and they had no clue what caused the fault light to come on. By the time I took it to the dealer the light had turned off. All they could do was reset the system and give me the car back. They told me to come right back if/when the light comes on again and sure enough that happened today (Tuesday)!! Again, a few techs looked at it and they had never seen that message before, but they promised to call the Ford Hotline in Detroit tomorrow and hopefully they'll have answers...? Can't say I feel hopeful since this is new technology and no one seems to know how to fix this. I'm so depressed, and car-less with two kids! So is everyone certain it's a harness issue with the steering wheel - and that piece has been back ordered until late Nov? I'm relaying info from this forum to the dealer since they have no clue. Any update on what actually may be the issue is much appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by alesham