Adaptive steering fault

I feels all your pain for sure! This is no fun at all. I would like to see some photos of this "steering harness" and learn about the actual problem. It seems to have two variations:

1. The scary warning comes on and not much else is changed.

2. The warning comes on and the steering wheel turns to the left and/or makes "grinding" noises. In my case, it turned 90 degrees to the left. No small matter.

Mine also makes a clicking noise (very light) during "normal" operation. I hate this because why would Ford use a part that clicks ever?

Also, that fact that the "fix" is to yank off the entire steering wheel assembly (something that I cannot imagine that Ford workers have much, if any experience at) means the likelihood for screwing up something else is high.

I want a different car. I paid good money for this car, like we all did.

Edited by CapeDave

CapeDave , I tried new car idea on ford service rep in Florida. I paid for a car that should be operable and mine is not. I thought I should get a replacement .Ford said 'no way' .they know what problem is and will have fix nov 29. The said it about as callously as anyone would. Dealer says they should replace but no help coming from Ford.

I will not be ever comfortable driving the car . The least expensive option to me seems to be to get best deal from dealer on an Edge without steering option.

I generally but a new car every two years ,this is the last Ford ever..

• Like 1

CapeDave , I tried new car idea on ford service rep in Florida. I paid for a car that should be operable and mine is not. I thought I should get a replacement .Ford said 'no way' .they know what problem is and will have fix nov 29. The said it about as callously as anyone would. Dealer says they should replace but no help coming from Ford.

I will not be ever comfortable driving the car . The least expensive option to me seems to be to get best deal from dealer on an Edge without steering option.

I generally but a new car every two years ,this is the last Ford ever..

VERY IMPORTANT to get action on this....

Make sure you report your issue in detail here: https://www-odi.nhts...hicleComplaint/

It only takes about 5-10 minutes.

• Like 1

I would sure like to see some official response from Ford. Like the CEO. I spent over 2 years researching what car to buy. I now feel like I made a huge mistake.

Funny, the warning light has not come on for almost 2 days. I do not know what to think. Good? Bad? Worse?

I am thinking that there will be MANY more with this issue. I think every car with the set of options that includes adaptive steering will have this issue.

Together we are strong.

If they know they will have a fix within the next 30 days it would be stupid to go replacing vehicles. They should accommodate free loaners for anyone who doesn't feel comfortable driving with the problem. And if it's not actually fixed by the end of the month then I think the buyback discussion is warranted.

• Like 1

Nov 2 2016 3947 - 2016 Edge/MKX - Adaptive/Active Steering Fault Message With DTCs U3000, C2003, B137F, B1380, U210A, And U2000 In The Steering Effort Control Module (SECM)

Some 2016 Edge/MKX vehicles may exhibit an illuminated adaptive/active steeringfault message in the instrument panel cluster (IPC) message center with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) U3000, C2003, B137F, B1380, U210A, and U2000 stored in the SECM. If DTC U3000:96 is present, the SECM must be replaced. If DTC U3000:96is not present, reprogram the SECM to the latest calibration using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) release 102.05 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to obtain the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com. Use causal part3600 and applicable labor operations in section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) manual.
  • Like 4

If they know they will have a fix within the next 30 days it would be stupid to go replacing vehicles. They should accommodate free loaners for anyone who doesn't feel comfortable driving with the problem. And if it's not actually fixed by the end of the month then I think the buyback discussion is warranted.

Yes, I agree. I see below some good hard information about the issue. That is great progress. I sure hope mine is a computer fix rather than part replacement. And I hope the same for all on here.

Nov 2 2016 3947 - 2016 Edge/MKX - Adaptive/Active Steering Fault Message With DTCs U3000, C2003, B137F, B1380, U210A, And U2000 In The Steering Effort Control Module (SECM)

Some 2016 Edge/MKX vehicles may exhibit an illuminated adaptive/active steeringfault message in the instrument panel cluster (IPC) message center with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) U3000, C2003, B137F, B1380, U210A, and U2000 stored in the SECM. If DTC U3000:96 is present, the SECM must be replaced. If DTC U3000:96is not present, reprogram the SECM to the latest calibration using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) release 102.05 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to obtain the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com. Use causal part3600 and applicable labor operations in section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) manual.

Thank you! This is excellent information. I will make sure my dealer knows about it. Also, it seems a loaner is in order. If not for a situation like this then for what? All I got was "Call Enterprise". Ouch.

Thank you! This is excellent information. I will make sure my dealer knows about it. Also, it seems a loaner is in order. If not for a situation like this then for what? All I got was "Call Enterprise". Ouch.

This falls under the normal warranty coverage which does not provide free loaners unless you purchased the ESP. That said, dealers can still offer loaners on their own.

CapeDave, I just got a call from the dealer (my Edge is still in the shop)...they did some "reprogramming" and are going to test drive and release it back to me today. IF the fault light comes back on they said I may need a new clock spring. I'm worried about this as it sounds like that didn't correct your problem...? How is your car today? Light still off? Can you drive in sport and regular mode? Are you hearing/feeling anything in the steering column? Thanks.

CapeDave, I just got a call from the dealer (my Edge is still in the shop)...they did some "reprogramming" and are going to test drive and release it back to me today. IF the fault light comes back on they said I may need a new clock spring. I'm worried about this as it sounds like that didn't correct your problem...? How is your car today? Light still off? Can you drive in sport and regular mode? Are you hearing/feeling anything in the steering column? Thanks.

Ah, so you got the "clock spring" diagnosis too. They did not replace mine yet, so I cannot speak to whether that fixes it. My car has been perfect for about 3 days. I do not drive in Sport except by mistake. But it has been fine. No steering issues. No sounds. No warning lights. You KNOW that it will come on as I am about to take a trip to the store :)

Also, dealer has not called my to say the part was in. Or for any reason. And so it goes.

Move the shifter to S instead of D.

Precisely :) I will try the sport setting in the gauge and report back tomorrow. I have never tried it. Sure would be nice if we could just turn this feature off completely. I would be interested to see how it drives with regular steering.

Edited by CapeDave

The Sport active steering setting actually just recalibrates the wheel to require more effort at low and highway speeds. I am not sure what it does to the adjustment of steering ratios as you drive, but I have never gone back to the normal mode since I switched it to be on the sport steering setting all the time. The normal setting feels too light and floaty for my taste.

I am glad that Ford is making progress on this issue. That is the downfall of being volunteered to test cutting edge technology. I still believe this will be an isolated incident. Notice that since this thread started, we really havn't had a whole lot of people running here to report this problem. There are likely at least 10000 2016 Sports on the roads and a high failure rate would have caused a stampede to the internet forums. Since the 2016's have been out for over a year now, some have probably hit high miles.

• Like 1

The Sport active steering setting actually just recalibrates the wheel to require more effort at low and highway speeds. I am not sure what it does to the adjustment of steering ratios as you drive, but I have never gone back to the normal mode since I switched it to be on the sport steering setting all the time. The normal setting feels too light and floaty for my taste.

I am glad that Ford is making progress on this issue. That is the downfall of being volunteered to test cutting edge technology. I still believe this will be an isolated incident. Notice that since this thread started, we really havn't had a whole lot of people running here to report this problem. There are likely at least 10000 2016 Sports on the roads and a high failure rate would have caused a stampede to the internet forums. Since the 2016's have been out for over a year now, some have probably hit high miles.

Funny, I find the steering to be up to my high standards when all is working and no warning lights are on :) I will try the sport setting to see what I think, I am curious.

I think that many car owners are not Forum people. So it is very possible that they are heading right to the dealer with this issue rather than head here. I would estimate that there are between 10 and 100 with this issue for each individual here on this forum/thread.

Also, my issue first happened at 2200 miles. And then was almost constant for awhile. And for the last three days one would have no way of even knowing there was an issue. So, it is intermittent to one degree or another and also prone to happening at different mileages.

That said, I am very happy with the knowledge gained on this forum and the "progress" made. Still, Ford needs to step up. Beta testers of software often get a free copy of the software. What will we get from Ford?

You would be surprised at how many people will hit up internet forums to complain about or find information about a problem. We will see as winter comes though as it seems like the majority of people having active steering issues are either in the northern states of in Canada.

Personally, I do not like this variable ratio steering but had no choice.

• Like 1

There is another TSB that just came out:

Nov 3 2016 3960 - 2016 Edge/MKX - Adaptive/Active Steering - Check Adaptive/Active Steering Message Illuminated With DTC C1B00

See TSB: 16-2066 for details.

It calls for replacing the steering wheel:

Issue: Some 2016 Edge/MKX vehicles equipped with adaptive/active steering may exhibit a check adaptive/active steering message illuminated in the instrument panel cluster (IPC) message center with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1B00 stored in the steering effort control module (SECM).

You would be surprised at how many people will hit up internet forums to complain about or find information about a problem. We will see as winter comes though as it seems like the majority of people having active steering issues are either in the northern states of in Canada.

Personally, I do not like this variable ratio steering but had no choice.

Yeah, I did not want it either. But I figured it would work as advertised. Not this crap.

There is another TSB that just came out:

Nov 3 2016 3960 - 2016 Edge/MKX - Adaptive/Active Steering - Check Adaptive/Active Steering Message Illuminated With DTC C1B00

See TSB: 16-2066 for details.

It calls for replacing the steering wheel:

Issue: Some 2016 Edge/MKX vehicles equipped with adaptive/active steering may exhibit a check adaptive/active steering message illuminated in the instrument panel cluster (IPC) message center with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1B00 stored in the steering effort control module (SECM).

So it would appear that there are at least three separate fixes. One computer fix, one replace steering wheel assembly and one "Clock Spring" which is still a huge mystery.

When I buy a car new, it is because I expect a sealed unit. I do not want the engine swapped out, the steering wheel swapped out, or the transmission swapped out, to name a few. I want it to be correctly assembled from working parts the first time, at the factory. I realize that manufacturing is excellent, albeit not perfect. And yet I have never had an issue like this on a new car, and I have bought a few. More than most.

Because like I said, when was the last time a Ford mechanic EVER swapped out a steering wheel? I am guessing probably never. Or very rarely. And bad enough my car was an unasked for BETA test of this crappy adaptive system, I certainly do not want to be a training ground for complex repairs.

Edited by CapeDave