2.7 EcoBoost Cold Start Noise / Rattle

Pretty normal for an Ecoboost engine as oil pressure builds. There is speculation that it is due to the timing chain, and that will in due time turn to timing chain slap and constant rattling. More true on the F150 than in the transverse engined crowd.

One solution is to always use the Motorcraft oil filter, it really does allow oil pressure to build quickly. Another is to use a quality full synthetic oil, instead of the minimum spec in the owner's manual.

EDIT: I have not heard of an HPFP (high pressure fuel pump, sits atop the engine) failing this early, but it's worth checking that a) the sound is not coming from there, and B] the insulating cover is present. Check the oil level while you are at it. BTW, it's normal for these engines to sound like diesels, as much of the technology is the same.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Run to the dealer, that severe of a start up rattle should not be 'normal'. The worst I've heard is a bicycle chain sounding noise when I left it outside during a winter storm. When you say sitting, do you mean a few days, or a few weeks?

Edited by Beezz

Run to the dealer, that severe of a start up rattle should not be 'normal'. The worst I've heard is a bicycle chain sounding noise when I left it outside during a winter storm. When you say sitting, do you mean a few days, or a few weeks?

one to two hours.... if I restart within an hour, it won't do it.....closer to two hours, and certainly over two hours, massive chain slap from the passenger side of the engine.

Edited by VisionPilot

one to two hours.... if I restart within an hour, it won't do it.....closer to two hours, and certainly over two hours, massive chain slap from the passenger side of the engine.

Let the dealer know you might have a loose timing chain Which is just surprising considering how new your engine is. The timing of the issue makes sense as these engines hold oil for a while after shutdown.

heres what mine sounds like after sitting for 2 days (17K km): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KiK2mnNJqFcXJXV2llaG1jSmc/view?pref=2&pli=1slight diesel-ish clatter but normal as WWWPerfA_ZN0W said

Edited by Beezz
  • Like 1

My God that sounds horrid! I've had 2 2.7 V6's and neither has done that noise at all. Run back to the dealer STAT

I've been waiting a week for my service appointment. Supposed to drop the car off this evening. From everything I've read, and advice from a professional mechanic friend, it's identical to the VTC phaser failures on the 3.5 Ecoboost, addressed in TSB 16-0027. They wanted to have it overnight so that they could cold start it in the morning, but that won't be necessary. It does it after sitting for only 20-30 minutes! A hot start within 5-10 minutes won't produce the metal/metal rattle.

Edited by VisionPilot

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they find the cause, explain it to you, and fix it ASAP!

It's been 9 days since I dropped the car off at the dealer. It has endured multiple thunderstorms with some hail. They have done absolutely nothing on the car other than confirm the noise. They opened an incident with Lincoln last Tuesday the 23rd, and Lincoln Tech subsequently gave them a test to perform. That test has not been performed, and the car was never brought back inside to a service bay. Instead, they have had at least one, if not more vehicles come in after mine, that they have been working on. I am beyond pissed off.

On top of that, when I went to check on it last Friday, it was left unlocked with the keyfob inside in their back lot. I plan to go retrieve the car today, without warning....

Edited by VisionPilot

Find the service manager and drag them with you to your car, if it is unlocked today, I suggest you do this as you drive off http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/cnvrtble.gif

On a more serious note, did they provide you with a free rental for the time being? Was your mkx leased or purchased (I find that people who paid in full don't really get the same attention from the dealer)

• Like 3

Is this a Ford/Lincoln dealer, or a Lincoln-only dealer? Anyways, what did the service mgr have to say about this?

Multi car complex, but Lincoln only dealer, no Fords. Service manager just says that they have to finish the ones that came in after mine before they have room for it. The issue is that there are multiple open bays, but they service more than one brand. I'm presuming that they only have one tech that does Lincolns, and they have him tied up with cars that came in after mine that have lengthier issues to fix.

• Like 1

Find the service manager and drag them with you to your car, if it is unlocked today, I suggest you do this as you drive off http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/cnvrtble.gif

On a more serious note, did they provide you with a free rental for the time being? Was your mkx leased or purchased (I find that people who paid in full don't really get the same attention from the dealer)

It was purchased through Lincoln's finance. Yes, I did get a free rental. That took an extra week to arrange, so in the interim, I quit driving my car anywhere. So, it's really been 2 and a half weeks that I've been without the use of a car that I bought 4 weeks ago.

Edited by VisionPilot

I made an appt with another dealer (albeit 10 days out), and drove up to the original dealer on Wednesday, shortly before noon, to pick up my car. I parked where I wouldn't be noticed by the service dept, and walked around the side of the building, around back, and to the other side where my car was parked. Snapped a photo showing the FOB was still in the same place, in the cup holder. Took a pic from the front to show it hadn't budged, and as I was looking at the hood for hail damage, the tech came out and opened the door to get in. Coincidence? Dunno, but I was only at my car a few seconds. I let him pull it into the service bay, and then walked over and spoke to the service writer I had been dealing with. I did not yell, or get angry. I was very calm, but matter of fact. The SW assured me that if I let them keep it, it would not leave the service bay until it was fixed, but that he couldn't blame me if I wanted to take it. I left it there for them to work on. I didn't even bother asking for an estimate as to how long it would take, as they will have to do whatever testing Lincoln prescribes to arrive at a diagnosis. I do know that once they commit to it being the camshaft timing phaser, that is about a 9 hour book job.

Edited by VisionPilot
  • Like 1

And, another new turn of events. I opened a ticket with Lincoln corp on Wednesday. The case manager called me back Friday asking if I was happy with my car. I said.. what? He said he called the dealer, and that the dealer told them I had picked it up. I told him they lied to you. My car is sitting outside their service bay, waiting for parts that aren't supposed to arrive until next week some time... Now what do I do? They straight up lied to Lincoln corp, telling them they fixed my car and I picked it up, which is absolutely not true. Oh, and the Lincoln corp guy did provide them my VIN, so there was no confusion.

• Like 1

However, the case manager did call the dealer back, and they admitted that they were wrong. They expect the parts any time. At this point, they are telling me they will have it ready next week. I won't hold my breath, it's been one lie after another, as they keep pushing my service back. At this point, I have put more miles on their loaner than the total mileage on my "new" car!

Edited by VisionPilot
  • Like 1