Top likes/dislikes about 2016 Edge

mjonis

For those of you that have a 2016 Edge:

What are your top likes/dislikes?

I don't have one (yet--maybe), but there's lots of things that an actual owner might find that I might skip. Please list what model/trim you have.

For right now, my "list" (based solely on specs and the one 2016 test drive):

1) Styling

2) Sync 3 (vs. MFT)

3) Cabin quietness

4) Ride quality

5) Power of turbo and mpg

Dislikes:

1) Still no Carplay/AA

2) No seat back cooling that works

3) No power tilt/fold side mirrors

4) No "autonomous" braking

5) No fog lights

My biggest dislike so far is the insane amount of torque management Ford programmed into the transmission. This is my second experience with the 6F55 with my first brush being in a Lincoln MKT with the 3.5 Ecoboost which was not like this. I know a call to Livernois will solve that, but I also would like to refrain from molesting my warranty.

My biggest like so far are the seats. These are some really good supportive and comfortable seats in the Sport.

My seats started as my biggest dislike. 1500 miles later they either have broken in or Ive gotten used to them. I agree they are some very comfy seats / seem like some of the most high quality leather i can remember in a ford.

My biggest likes are:

The seats

Sync 3

The two dash screens that sandwhich the speedo (I think it looks cool and very functional right side for nav / quick redial from recent calls.

The look of the tailights

Intelligent access! (Never had a fob before, getting used to not digging for keys)

HVAC vents in the rear of console. (45k f150 didn't have this and there was terrible air circulation for the backseat)

The button in cargo to drop the seats

Super quiet interior. It's crazy how quiet it is even going 75-80 mph

Dislike

I feel like I have to get gas every other day (80 mile round trip daily, used to my 36 gal tank)

Center console cutting into leg room(it's tight at 6'5 on long trips, they need to make them narrower)

Another console issue is cup holder placement. I used to drive a manual and tend to leave my hand on shifter to this day. With drinks in the cup holders you can't lay your arm down comfortably without smacking them.

My dislikes are super picky and I'm pleased with my selection overall!

• Like 1

Dislikes: 2) No seat back cooling that works ??????

If you actually sit in the back seat with the AC on, the vents in the back cool the passengers really well.

sorry what I meant was the front seats, the back (vs. the butt) don't cool.

Oh, and I forgot another dislike:

The Driver's side "foot rest" thingy on the left on the floor. It's designed for like my mom who's 4' 10". I'm only 5' 7" and it's too far forward (or too close to the seat, depending on your view).

Especially compared to all the others I've test driven.

The bulbs you have are Long Life bulbs, simply changing them out to a normal life bulb or a high performance bulb is going to gain you some light. I did a hack that involves a slightly different style of bulb, basically trim 1 small tab, & gained a lot more usable light. Can't remember where i saw it, but a lot of Toyota guys do this 'hack'. It's not HID's, but for the money, it's worth it.

I'm waiting for a HID projector housing to become available & have a 'proper HID' lighting. Or go LED whenever the technology gets there

I'm not sure that's the case. They are not a direct replacement bulb, and have ballasts. For $100 I'll stick with these.

This 'mod' is under $20 & you just have to modify a couple tabs. You get a lot more usable light due to the fact that there's not a coating on the tip of the bulb

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?t=150621

Pic is a comparison of an H11 bulb to H9 bulb

post-41964-0-24793600-1471720334_thumb.jpg

Edited by lildisco

Wasn't referring to HID's except that with the H9 mod is not going to produce as much light as HID's. I was referring to the guy who posted before you complaining about his '16 SEL light output, guess i should have quoted his post to avoid confusion.

Yes, HID's are going to be completely different with ballasts & extra wiring

Edited by lildisco

There's a lot I like about my 2016 SEL. Like others have said, the quietness is great. Acceleration is good and gas mileage is averaging 22mpg, and I've only got 1300 miles on it so far.

What I don't like is the absence of a true accessory mode. I shouldn't have to manually shut off the HVAC system when in accessory mode. I've never had a car that behaved this way. Yes, you can just turn on the radio without accessory, but it shuts off after 10 minutes. I eat lunch in my car every day, 45 minutes, and I've always had a true accessory mode in my previous cars.

While I've not personally observed this (only one 2016 test drive), I'm seeing some overall "general" issues with the 2016:

a) random rattles/squeeks that show up relatively quickly - most seem to be fixable via re-welding or jamming random bits and pieces of insulation/foam to keep things quiet. This, IMO, is one of my pet peeves (noises) and I'm a bit concerned about Ford's QA on this vehicle with what appears to be a common issue (for those that report issues). Ironically my POS Chevy doesn't seem to have random noises like that (about the worst it has is if I hit a pothole and it moves this plastic thingy in the back that covers that gap between the trunk and rear seats if you fold them down).

B) Panoramic roof issues. (although to be fair, I'm seeing the SAME complaints on the Kia forums as well). Seems to be a constant lube maintenance that you either pay for, or do yourself, although supposedly Kia has a fix that requires a complete replacement of the ENTIRE unit (rails, glass, etc.).

And, the seatback issue, but that I've experienced.

Since the last item is fixable at a cost, I'm more concerned about "a" and "b". "b" being a royal PITA to have to constantly upkeep (although granted, not every vehicle seems to be experiencing this, but it's not like you know until you go to open/close the sucker and it doesn't want to work all the way). "a" is the most annoying, IMO, and things like that shouldn't be occurring if the QA is right.

So I'd put those on my "dislike" list as well, even though I've not had the 2 items (maybe I'll get lucky and have random noises in my 2nd test drive--not).

:)

The accessory mode is starting to annoy me a bit now, I often sit in car at lunch for some time. When it was 90+ degrees I didn't mind running the car. Now with weather cooling down I don't need my car running to play the radio!

As far as the panoramic roof, I've always stayed away from sunroofs of any type. It's a giant window on the top of your car. Anyone whose ever had one has seemed to have one problem or another with these things regardless of the make pre-panoramic frenzy or not. Either it leaks, doesn't shut, bad seal, needs maintenance. I'll keep the $1500 or so it costs and get different options or use it for upgrades.

I just don't trust having a glass roof on my vehicle :)

I've occasionally been hearing what sounds like the cargo door glass rattling almost like it's not shut, it's not often and likely could be me not shutting it firmly. The into real rattle is this stupid one near driver tweeter that I cannot figure out for the life of me

I've occasionally been hearing whatR sounds like the cargo door glass rattling almost like it's not shut, it's not often and likely could be me not shutting it firmly. The into real rattle is this stupid one near driver tweeter that I cannot figure out for the life of me

My rear pass door was tight to close. Keeping any widow open a crack helped. You might have someone drive the car while your in the back listening