My 2016 Ford Edge Sport - Hardware Add Ons and Software Modificaitons

I just tried the MKX and it closes all the way with one button press whether it's in the normal or fully open position (or tilted). If the Edge stops short it means there is no pinch sensor to stop it from closing if something is in the way. I never use tilt so I didn't test it.

The 2016 MKX doesn't have the same vista roof as the Edge. If I recall correctly, you have the smaller panel in front & when it opens it slides below the rear panel (basically it's a regular moonroof with a big glass panel behind it). The 2015+ Edge has the same vista roof from 2007+ where the front glass is the larger panel & when opening it slides above the rear smaller glass panel.

I think due to the big(ger) panel on the Edge & the fact that the rails/tracks are somewhat exposed & more subject to dirt & grime, the pinch sensor cannot be accurate enough like smaller roofs to close completely in a safe manner.

Edited by omar302

The 2016 MKX doesn't have the same vista roof as the Edge. If I recall correctly, you have the smaller panel in front & when it opens it slides below the rear panel (basically it's a regular moonroof with a big glass panel behind it). The 2015+ Edge has the same vista roof from 2007+ where the front glass is the larger panel & when opening it slides above the rear smaller glass panel.

Nope. MKX has the same panoramic vista roof as the Edge.

How far does it let you walk away from the running vehicle before it honks? Will it honk if you exit the vehicle with the key fob in your pocket to say brush snow off the car? Or is it a certain distance away from the vehicle before it honks?

It honks after 2-3 feet. Remember the sensor is in the center console, not the door. Just don't close the door all the way when you get out and it won't honk.

Thanks. It's just nice in the bitter cold winter (or if it's snowing) to be able to keep the doors shut, heat on, and go brush snow off without the damn horn honking as you get to the front or rear of the car. I'll just have to leave the keys in the car when I get out I suppose.

Thanks. It's just nice in the bitter cold winter (or if it's snowing) to be able to keep the doors shut, heat on, and go brush snow off without the damn horn honking as you get to the front or rear of the car. I'll just have to leave the keys in the car when I get out I suppose.

Interesting, will have to definitely try this on my test drive.

Nope. MKX has the same panoramic vista roof as the Edge.

Ok, my bad. The MKX also has the front panel slide above the rear with the rails on the outside, but it is smaller than the Edge's (2016 MKX). Even the part numbers are different & the Edge has a more expensive list price.

2015/2016 Edge Sunroof Front Glass

2016 MKX Sunroof Front Glass

The vehicle should never honk when you leave it running with the IA fob in it unless you attempt to lock the door. The double horn honk delete that you are referring to is when you have the IA fob on you and you exit the vehicle with it running and close the door. Its a safety feature but also can be embarrassing to have it happen in a public lot or at 4am in your driveway and you wake up the neighbors etc. That is the first thing I changed when I got the Edge.

I really need to turn this feature off. The dpuble honk is probably the most hated feature I have

• Like 1

My dealer loves me...imma try and get them to do it for free.

Turning it off/on is not a native function of IDS. They will be clueless unless they are provided the file and instructions. You would be better off getting Forscan and an adapter and doing it yourself.

Since web forums are great complaint repositories and I've already complained about the sunroof function I abhor, I'll now express my distaste for the obnoxious keyless go honking function. When the engine is running and the keys are in my pocket, why must my Edge wake up the neighbors if I exit the vehicle and close the door behind me? Let's say I'm in freezing Michigan and there is a foot of snow on my car and I put my laptop inside and start it up. Then get my snow brush and exit the car. BEEP BEEP! Hey look at me! Over Here! Oh Yes, this is the New Edge! No other car with Keyless Go honks louder! It bites me when I move garbage pails, come home late and retrieve the mail... you get the picture. In that brief moment when I swing the door to close and before the honk happens, my brain scrambles to compute whether I left key in my pocket or in the car. I swear this is a real trigger for anxiety. Remember the guy in the original Ghostbusters movie who would get zapped with electricity for answering the Venkman ESP test question incorrectly? Zap! That's what my Edge does to me. Google it if you are too young to remember.

I cannot believe the engineer responsible for this classless use of the horn did not have a better idea. This car will shut off the engine after a set time if you forget it. This car has a keypad to get you back in if you somehow locked your keys inside. It does not need to punish your ears for making a mistake. It does not need to wake up your sleeping neighbors. I sure hope the Edge "customer focus group" didn't ask for this feature. Ford, I love you and I know you are reading this so please make my car less offensive.

• Like 2

The keypad won't help you if you walk away with the only fob in your pocket and someone else drives away.

I thought someone said this was about to be a nhtsa requirement for all vehicles within a couple of years.

It's really not that big of a deal - turn off the engine, leave the door open or leave the fob in the vehicle.

It was in the news a while back about why vehicles these days have this "safety" feature. It is because there have been a few instances of people getting home or whatever and inadvertently leaving their push button start vehicle running in the garage. The alert (double horn honk) is to say hey...you left your car running, don't kill yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning. This was more prevalent in hybrid vehicles as the operator doesn't realize they left the car on (no running engine) but then the vehicle says hey the battery is low I need to start the gas engine to charge it and now you have real problem. It would not surprise me to find this as a mandate in the future if it isn't already. My personal opinion...money hungry lawsuits are driving the reason for having it.

I agree with it being totally obnoxious. I understand it's there to alert you but it shouldn't honk the horn at full blast.

Some other manufacturers have the same alert feature but it's nothing to this degree.

Its an annoyance to work around and should atleast have an option to disable it.

Using the horn is the simple solution without having to do additional hardware and software additions. My guess would be in a full vehicle re-design you will see something less subtle. Ford basically has a few vehicle programming platforms and without a redesign you likely won't see a change. The current Edge electrical platform has been in use since at least 2013.