Intercooler - Sport

Nick Halstead

To save everyone the back & forth between posts to see the differences between the 2015-2018 Ford Edge Sport and the 2017-2018 Ford Fusion Sport Intercoolers I decided to post the comparative Pics here... :hat_tip:

The outlet (cold) side isn't a problem, their short of identical.

The inlet (hot) side presents a couple challenges but nothing that can't be over come.

Ref next post where we (snmjim & SpecialK) test fit... :clapping:

The point of all this test fitment is to identify potential issues to ease the test installation when CPe calls us in to fit the 2017-2018 Ford Fusion Sport IC... :happy feet:

post-46284-0-22452600-1522159249_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-69569200-1522159257_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-02158400-1522159266_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-79702100-1522159286_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-04629000-1522159299_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-51847500-1522159315_thumb.jpg

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 4

The following are the test fitment Pics of the 2017-2018 Ford Fusion Sport IC test fitted to the 2015-2018 Ford Edge Sport.

Notes:

- The outlet (cold) side is short of identical

- The inlet (hot) side presents 2 challenges, the IC hanger tab (remove) and the radiator mounting tab (remove & secure at another point).

- The inlet (hot) side clearance can also be mitigated by shimming the IC forward some, which may eleviate the need to remove and/or secure at another point.

- To simplify the R&D process we stuffed the intake (hot) boost tube over top of the IC mounting bracket, yes it gives a strange appearance and they are deceiving... :doh:

We won't know for sure until CPe starts... :drop:

post-46284-0-30618900-1522159919_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-86620500-1522159928_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-49045000-1522159936_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-61487100-1522159942_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-58809200-1522159982_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-24921700-1522159999_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-42619500-1522160023_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-29122000-1522160045_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-06387800-1522160057_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-44097900-1522160070_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-93477900-1522160082_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-86250500-1522160095_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-00481400-1522160111_thumb.jpg

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

To all, after much trial and tribulation we have decided that the fusion intercooler is just no worth the amount of modifications that would have to be done. There is too much hard mounted objects in the way and way too many bends for piping. Sorry to give up after all this time.

We have gone with ultimate performance intercooler with the Garrett core.

-Special K & Snmjim

• Like 4

To all, after much trial and tribulation we have decided that the fusion intercooler is just no worth the amount of modifications that would have to be done. There is too much hard mounted objects in the way and way too many bends for piping. Sorry to give up after all this time.

We have gone with ultimate performance intercooler with the Garrett core.

-Special K & Snmjim

keep us posted on what kind of results you see with this one. I've got my eye on one if they are worth the pennies!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Ultimate Performance intercooler with the Garrett core #002 for the G2 Edge Sport 2.7L EcoBoost just arrived !!! :happy feet: :happy feet: . The welds and workmanship are great and with almost 70% more area than the stock IC it should work as good as it looks. :2thumbs: Big thanks to snmjim and Special_K for making this happen :thumbsup: . They have #001

You can get yours here:

https://ultimateperformancenm.com/shop?olsPage=products%2F15-ford-edge-sport-27-front-mount-intercooler

post-46130-0-62042800-1524096084_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

My Ultimate Performance intercooler with the Garrett core #002 for the G2 Edge Sport 2.7L EcoBoost just arrived !!! :happy feet: :happy feet: . The welds and workmanship are great and with almost 70% more area than the stock IC it should work as good as it looks. :2thumbs: Big thanks to snmjim and Special_K for making this happen :thumbsup: . They have #001

You can get yours here:

https://ultimateperformancenm.com/shop?olsPage=products%2F15-ford-edge-sport-27-front-mount-intercooler

attachicon.gifG2 Ford Edge intercooler#002.JPG

Do you have a way of doing some performance tests with before and after intercooler? I really am thinking about one, but I need to see some substantial gains in power. I know you're not much of a 1/4 mile guy, but maybe make some 0-60 or 0-80 pulls before and after and post what kind of results you see. All I see so far is people talking about temperature differences, which of course equates to more power, but i'm looking for real numbers, not temps.

hopefully you can do this before you strap on those oversize hairdryers you bought!

• Like 2

I want to know actual IAT's, if the drop is near the 70* claimed by UP then I'm in. I know there will be some performance improvement but that kind of temperature drop will yield many other benefits. Heat is the enemy of not just power but also efficiency, longevity and more. The EB engines are pretty stressed out of the box and any meaningful relief of that stress will be worth the investment.

• Like 1

You can get yours here:

I believe you have #3. I had UP get an edge from a local cop friend of his and fab up the IC, he upped the price for me once he found out I was in Hawaii and killed me on shipping and the wife wasn't having the new price, so I found another buyer in James Bishop so that the process would keep going instead of killing the IC R&D

• Like 1

Do you have a way of doing some performance tests with before and after intercooler? I really am thinking about one, but I need to see some substantial gains in power. I know you're not much of a 1/4 mile guy, but maybe make some 0-60 or 0-80 pulls before and after and post what kind of results you see. All I see so far is people talking about temperature differences, which of course equates to more power, but i'm looking for real numbers, not temps.

hopefully you can do this before you strap on those oversize hairdryers you bought!

we are waiting for the cold pipe to come in at which point we will install the IC and cold pipe, do 3 or 4 revisions on the tune, then dyno and go to test and tune and post slips

I want to know actual IAT's, if the drop is near the 70* claimed by UP then I'm in. I know there will be some performance improvement but that kind of temperature drop will yield many other benefits. Heat is the enemy of not just power but also efficiency, longevity and more. The EB engines are pretty stressed out of the box and any meaningful relief of that stress will be worth the investment.

I will post after install in a week or 2. also these EB are not stressed in the least bit out of the box, if they were you would not be able to get over 80hp and 80ft/lb of tq from a tune. the only part that really should have been different that is honestly at its limit stock is the intercooler.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can get yours here:

Any Updates?

• Like 1

Any Updates?

The UP intercooler with the garret core is the best intercooler you can get for the platform as of right now. Snmjim and I have it on our edge and we struggle to get 145 degree charge temps on a 80 degree ambient day. That's with 0-120 pulls and some fun backroad driving.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

GT500R

You still happy with the results of your IC?

Who is your contact at CXRacing?

For the money I think CXRacing is the way to go. almost half the price of ultimate performance. If you're going for every tenth you can squeeze out of it, ultimate performance (on paper) seems to have the best overall, but we haven't seen any logs to confirm any of this yet.

For the money I think CXRacing is the way to go. almost half the price of ultimate performance. If you're going for every tenth you can squeeze out of it, ultimate performance (on paper) seems to have the best overall, but we haven't seen any logs to confirm any of this yet.

The cxracing is nice for no cutting or modifications to stock parts.

The UP intercooler has the best core and the best flow.

FWIW Cxracing uses Cheap china cores... I've only used them for temporary use on my other builds until a custom intercooler comes in.

The cxracing is nice for no cutting or modifications to stock parts.

The UP intercooler has the best core and the best flow.

FWIW Cxracing uses Cheap china cores... I've only used them for temporary use on my other builds until a custom intercooler comes in.

We have yet to see any data to support that statement.

We have yet to see any data to support that statement.

Thanks For the input Mikula, Have you changed out your IC or plan to, if so which are you thinking of?

Aesthetics & build quaility is major factor for me also, that's why I'm swapping out my IC grill with the CNC'd one, so I can see that nice big & beautiful IC.

I just hit 6,000 miles and really don't plan much till fall, Foxbody Mustang getting all the attention right now. I also just got the LMS tuner and going to enjoy that for a minute.

UP intercooler vs stock intercooler, all data done from 0-100 in like temps 19c vs 21c:

Line color:

Dark red flat: ambient temp

Dark Red: TIP KPA

Blue thin: Vehicle Speed

Blue Thick: Charge temp

UP intercooler:

max temp: 68c

tip pressure max is 256kpa

Stock intercooler:

max temp 68c

Tip pressure max is 210kpa

Comments:

As seen with the logs the stock intercooler heats up with in 8 seconds of going WOT and sustains 68c from 55mph to 100mph, which pulls timing and is extremely hot. Boost pressure varies greatly from 170kpa to a peak of 210kpa (redline) due to restrictive manner of the intercooler and extremely high temperature. recovery is slow.

Aftermarket intercooler takes a while to reach 68c and finally reaches it at the end of the log which is over 100mph. Boost pressure is consistent and is roughly 20% higher. recovery is extremely fast.

Final thoughts: UP Intercooler is well worth the money.

Note: Hopefully it will hit the dyno this coming Monday (14th),and a test and tune soon.

post-47814-0-61758300-1525959297_thumb.jpg

post-47814-0-70762600-1525959308_thumb.jpg

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 4