Intercooler - Sport

Nick Halstead

SJCabose,

A performance IC & true CAI Sys would be totally awesome & GREATLY appreciated by many!... :hat_tip:

At the moment those are our two major sticky points, of course more will follow as we knock out the big ones... :doh:

I totally agree and personally want the IC more than the CAI. Not to be greedy, but if you could mock up a rear motor mount/torque damper too, that would be great! :rockon:

• Like 1

:worship:

I think it's time for me to jump on the machine and start designing a system for this engine. With the amount of people we have here we can Def mock up one for our Edge with parts already out there, all we would need is an adapter bracket.

I'm going to be installing a hitch, lowering spring, and air bags this weekend. Let me see how the layout is for the IC and air filter and get back to yall.

just like to chime in here on one thing. You could run another five pounds of boost and have no trouble with the OE IC as long as you help the breathing at both ends. Now if you were running a full day of track time, different story.

My car has breathing mods at both ends. Even in stock tune the IC can't begin to keep up enough for a track day or even 2 to 3 laps. I can push my 2016 Sport in the canyons 80 to 90% of track duty and after only 5 to 10 min of pushing it that hard power starts to drop off. And if you have stock brakes they will also start to go in that time. I have been in the canyons stock and tuned. I can run all day at 60 to70% of track duty and it is fine, any more and HP starts to drop off until things cool down. The car works great stock or tuned at those levels and handles spirited driving well. A typical canyon run for me is 40 to 60 miles of hill climbs, hairpins and tight turns. I do not open it up on the straights and keep top speed to around 50 to 60 MPH. Push it hard for just a few minuets and things heat up fast. I have had the PTU over heat, the IC can't keep up and power drops way off, Stock brakes fade. Warning lights and chimes tell me to pull over take a break . All because of hard driving and heat. If I could I would upgrade the IC and add a PTU cooler. I fixed the brakes problem. After a few thousand miles in those canyons I have a good feel for what the car can and cannot do and what upgrades it needs.

When someone cracks the IC problem or finds a place to mount a PTU cooler I will upgrade.

Edited by Xtra

So I did some searching around before I started to pull up the CAD and found this intercooler. https://www.carid.com/2015-ford-edge-engine-components/afe-blade-runner-intercooler-454065097.html?parentsubmodel[]=ENGINE|2.7L

Maybe a little pricy.

I have seen this and was told by someone in one of the groups or forums that it would not fit but that is all I know about it and cannot confirm the accuracy.

If you want to shop using CARIDs search query, you are assuming a big risk. Most companies have vague knowledge of how many cars feom a manufacturer are the same or different. The ford fusion 13-16 dry flow air filter from aFe will work on Edge Sport. A fmic from a pickup truck and from fusion sport WILL NOT work on a Edge Sport

Edited by Nick Halstead

@Xtra...R u monitoring Tranny temps? Mine goes to 210 easily curious about what happens with spirited driving.

No . How did you get the Tranny temp? I know that it must be getting hot, but I can't figure out how to monitor it. And Ford must have a transmission cooler available because the Edge is rated for towing in some configurations. I wonder if the Sport has a tranny cooler.

No . How did you get the Tranny temp? I know that it must be getting hot, but I can't figure out how to monitor it. And Ford must have a transmission cooler available because the Edge is rated for towing in some configurations. I wonder if the Sport has a tranny cooler.

Those tuned through Unleashed and have a SCT X4/Livewire can get transmission temps via datalogging

• Like 2

Also, anyone willing to spend $900. To be experiment for an intercooler? Fusion Sports are already running these, just need to confirm Edge fitment, measurements are done. Just need a risk taker (this is pending the wife says hell no when I plea my own case for it)

Let me get back and settled and I will do it, if I can return it if it doesn't work.

Who, what where when Nick???

Guy making them for Fusion Sports right now, all god reviews. Im gonna have to pass which sucks, so Im currently looking for a guarenteed sale of someone who can drop this money and get the ball rolling. Its not $500 like CPe but its also not 1600 like the aFe either and temps are drastically down on fusion sports

Guy making them for Fusion Sports right now, all god reviews. Im gonna have to pass which sucks, so Im currently looking for a guarenteed sale of someone who can drop this money and get the ball rolling. Its not $500 like CPe but its also not 1600 like the aFe either and temps are drastically down on fusion sports

Just the IC and no pipes?

• 2 weeks later...

You can get the tranny temp from many of the OBDII scanners that do real-time monitoring. I am using OBDLINK (wiFi version) with the Iphone App that it comes wtih and with Forscan.

Also I am getting tuned with HP Tuner device that has that and many many other things to monitor!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

any more luck with this? after yesterday at the track, i feel this issue is just destroying power under higher boost. the v3 tune was worse than the v2 tune at the track, and i think this is the major issue.

cx racing makes a bunch of intercoolers and i know i could make something fit, but i don't know what size is in ours. anyone have Length, width, height and in/out size of it?

any more luck with this? after yesterday at the track, i feel this issue is just destroying power under higher boost. the v3 tune was worse than the v2 tune at the track, and i think this is the major issue.

cx racing makes a bunch of intercoolers and i know i could make something fit, but i don't know what size is in ours. anyone have Length, width, height and in/out size of it?

I think you have two options at this point.

Garrett - with a larger size where you have to modify/cut some of the pieces where the stock intercooler sits - but provides great cooling vs. stock.

CXRacing - same size intercooler core (5% bigger actually) and is made by Chiseled Performance in Florida - provides better cooling then stock.

The graph below is stock intercooler with V3 tune showing 25*C (77*F) at the start to 75*C (167*F) which is crazy how hot it gets (0-106 mph)

kGeOa1e.png

I think you have two options at this point.

Garrett - with a larger size where you have to modify/cut some of the pieces where the stock intercooler sits - but provides great cooling vs. stock.

CXRacing - same size intercooler core (5% bigger actually) and is made by Chiseled Performance in Florida - provides better cooling then stock.

do you think a "fin" or some sort of chin spoiler type thing might direct some more air toward the stock intercooler and give it some more breathing room? i used to have one on a mustang to keep the radiator cool. something like this:

79-93-mustang-radiator-air-deflector-4.p