Intercooler - Sport

Nick Halstead

We (SnMJim, Special K & Bishop) just installed a custom IC on his 2016 Edge Sport along with Pics. He will B posting a write-up when he gets time from his uniformed duties however, maybe N the mean time he could post some quick Pics with measurements PLEEEASE!... :salute:

N the mean time...U may want 2 consider the IC grill & AGS Mods we developed and posted 2 help drop the CAI Temps... :hat_tip:

BTW, Special K & I R currently working directly with CPe 2 finalize the RMM fitment soon followed by the IC which is N fabrication... :happy feet:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

Where can I get the Garrett intercooler??

As Nick mentioned, the guy from the Fusion Forums makes it. Matt Triplett - talontsi37@gmail.com

i don't know where you get these charts from but thank you! that is quite an insane jump in temps. real world is quite different than when they have a fan pumping air into it on the dyno.

I ran logs for Leo's car when we went to the track 2 weeks ago. I have the original LMS tune logs to compare to also.

But I can see through logging how the car is tuned, and you can see KR is a big factor once you hit 3rd gear as it jumps up pretty high and timing is pulled A LOT...

do you think a "fin" or some sort of chin spoiler type thing might direct some more air toward the stock intercooler and give it some more breathing room? i used to have one on a mustang to keep the radiator cool. something like this:

79-93-mustang-radiator-air-deflector-4.p

I don't think so, I opened up the stock grille to get more air to the intercooler but found it didn't help at all despite getting 23% more air.

QaHadxQ.png

6RHDryf.png

I ran logs for Leo's car when we went to the track 2 weeks ago. I have the original LMS tune logs to compare to also.

But I can see through logging how the car is tuned, and you can see KR is a big factor once you hit 3rd gear as it jumps up pretty high and timing is pulled A LOT...

maybe i missed something. what does KR stand for?

I wonder if a water spray system would work in cooling the intercooler?

It probably would help a little bit, but as I posted above, those temps are so high at the end of a run it might not do much in the end.

Of course it didn't work if U didn't also modify the IC portion of the AGS

Have it coded out like I did or remove them completely like Nick.

maybe i missed something. what does KR stand for?

KR = Knock Retard

In my words - when the ECU detects any kind of knock due to too much heat or poor fuel or too lean, etc it removes timing from the ignition so you don't blow the car up.

In the Internets words - Knock retard is when the PCM detects detonation. All internal combustion engines have detonation. Knock retard is the amount of spark advance the PCM removes to stay below the detonation threshold. The PCM is very fast at detecting knock and I keep the knock sensor set at the most sensitive settings. I also have it set to pull twice as much timing as knock is detected. so when you see kr of 2.0. then PCM was only needing to pull 1* of timing.

In the stock PCM logic, vehicles constantly push to the point of sensing knock, as this is where you can safely run the most amount of spark advance. Doing this provides the best amount of power and fuel economy as that is where the engine is most efficient for the fuel that is being burned. It is common too see kr at part throttle and it serves as no harm as long as the engine isn't heavily loaded. If you are cruising and happen to glance at the AP and a high number is registered on the high/low of the AP, it is generally noise picked up by the knock sensor and of no concern. A general rule of thumb is kr of up to 2.0 is perfectly acceptable at wot (wide open throttle/heavy load), but you want it as clean as possible.

So when you take a look at the V3 tune (100 octane), you can see that as KR goes UP, Timing goes DOWN and you loose power at the end of the run, but you have some pretty strong timing in the beginning -

L3BG3a3.png

Thank you GT500R

No problem.

His active grill is tuned to stay open 100% of the time

Bingo :P

His active grill is tuned to stay open 100% of the time

You LMS guys arent gonna like hearing it, but when you start adding more mods and going more custom your gonna want a different tuner

i was really hoping they'd come around and figure out what unleashed is doing. it seems they have a bit more figured out about these engines. only time will tell, but so far i may end up with 2 tuners (as have other people)

I think that would be a slick way to drop temps....Would that be difficult to tune for...via LMS?

I am 100% confident LMS could tune for it, problem is you would need to bring it to their shop and have it custom tuned for a couple hours... maybe $500-700 on top of the cost of the tuner.