Intercooler - Sport

Nick Halstead

Lets start off with HAPPY NEW YEAR!... :salute:

I realize that many of you have been patiently waiting for this information but unfortunately there are those who can find the time to take what we have to offer but can't find the time to give back.

That being the case here, to spare you any further delay I'm going to at least provide the pics and highlight in red the areas of focus i.e. cutout modification.

You can blame the hatchet job on the highlighted cut on the owner... :doh:

Note: since this is going to be a large post I'll break it into three sections:

- Comparative

- Removal

- Installation

Here's the 3rd of 3 posts:

Jim if they do make more than a few of these, please let me know how to get my hands on one. most importantly a price.

Hi,

I've been logging my "Manifold Charge Temp" when doing 0-60 WoT it goes to about 160 in the summer and 100 in the winter (well Ca winter which is like 40-50).

So assuming I am just using this thing as a dog hauler and not a track machine, any reason why I should think about upgrading the intercooler?

What about passing from 60-85, maybe I should log that?

I'm taking a survey of how many are seriously interested enough to put down a $100 deposit with me so I can put in an order for the IC shown in the Pics below which were also posted in one of my previous write ups in this string.

Depending on the level of interest/hard orders I will attempt to get us a group discount and only tack on a $50 handling fee unless the manufacture is willing to direct ship each order.

Until we do some Dyno testing, which will happen some time this year, the preliminary unofficial Specs from the manufacture & Special K are:

- Bolt in application after an easy modification of the IC part of the AGS or simply removing entirely

- 25% over all increase (size & Perf)

- Based on the Fusion Sport IC results with this manufacture you can expect to see around 50-70 degrees less IATs

- Estimate 4-7 tenths off of your acceleration times

- Cost with shipping $850

Notes:

- The vendor is prepared to manufacture the first mass production batch and needs a solid Qty in the next 1-2 Wks.

- We're still scheduled to perform R&D, fitment & testing with CPe for their IC sometime in the next 1-3 months.

- It is apparent that we're looking at significantly more than 5% gains with this manufacture as opposed to others mentioned in this string and other topic threads.

post-46284-0-10548700-1515433198_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-31377800-1515433209_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-45136400-1515433219_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-88253300-1515433230_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-45090000-1515433702_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-74428700-1515433716_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-92368800-1515433731_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-04127900-1515433745_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-95429500-1515433757_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-38041800-1515433770_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-99378800-1515433796_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-35253500-1515433808_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-64529100-1515433822_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-11103200-1515433834_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-00759700-1515433852_thumb.jpg

Edited by snmjim

Hi,

I've been logging my "Manifold Charge Temp" when doing 0-60 WoT it goes to about 160 in the summer and 100 in the winter (well Ca winter which is like 40-50).

So assuming I am just using this thing as a dog hauler and not a track machine, any reason why I should think about upgrading the intercooler?

Remember...heat is an engine's & engineering enemy

Thanks Snmjim and Special K for doing the research, design, engineering.

Least we forget to thank y'all for bringing dreams to reality by sharing your findings with those of us that would like to put more sport into the edge sport.

I don't even have a edge sport. But I am interesting in tuning and modding her when I do.

There is a old saying that if you have to ask how much something cost than you can't afford it. Nevertheless I have to ask.

How much is the total cost of the intercooler and BOV?

I'm sure there are others that may be interested once they know the numbers etc.

Thanks in advance.

Onyx

I'd be interested in putting money down on the intercooler if they could keep the cost roughly the same as the CX intercooler chris is running. bang for buck is there with the CX option, and with no physical data to see how much it cools temps vs CX I would hate for people to throw money at it with no proof

Hi,

the only reason would be because you want to. it is not necessary if you are not constantly going hard on the throttle. heat is the enemy, yes.. but for the occasional gas'n'go on the highway or hitting it hard at a couple stoplights, there wouldn't be a real need to upgrade.

some people have money to put into things that aren't necessary. I've been there, and I've done it. I may put a catch can on this because it "might" help with catching some gunk and coking, and hopefully it would increase longevity of the engine. so that's me spending money on stuff that may be unnecessary. some people would say the same about an aftermarket IC.

I'd be interested in putting money down on the intercooler if they could keep the cost roughly the same as the CX intercooler chris is running. bang for buck is there with the CX option, and with no physical data to see how much it cools temps vs CX I would hate for people to throw money at it with no proof

some people have money to put into things that aren't necessary. I've been there, and I've done it. I may put a catch can on this because it "might" help with catching some gunk and coking, and hopefully it would increase longevity of the engine. so that's me spending money on stuff that may be unnecessary. some people would say the same about an aftermarket IC.

GT500R said they paid about 5 and change for their CXRacing intercooler. They said it was 5% bigger than stock. If the price is in the same ballpark, then the price would be fair. I agree data is essential for making an educated purchase. I would like to support the team that brings their ideas to life and shares them with the group.

I've modded every car that I have owned and made some purchases that seem necessary to me but unnecessary to others.

I agree with you. The catch can seems like a worthwhile investment. Anything that can potentially extend the life of the engine is money well spent. Its not snake oil and it has been proven. Some members here are getting better results than others. But only time will tell. It will be among the first mods I consider doing.

Edited by onyxbfly

Thanks Snmjim and Special K for doing the research, design, engineering.

Least we forget to thank y'all for bringing dreams to reality by sharing your findings with those of us that would like to put more sport into the edge sport.

I don't even have a edge sport. But I am interesting in tuning and modding her when I do.

There is a old saying that if you have to ask how much something cost than you can't afford it. Nevertheless I have to ask.

How much is the total cost of the intercooler and BOV?

I'm sure there are others that may be interested once they know the numbers etc.

Thanks in advance.

Onyx

U R most welcome OnyX,

It's good 2 note that at least a few appreciate our efforts after having to tolerate so much opposition & criticism from other members.

People forget that this is truly a labor of love/common interest and we're not getting any benefits or kick backs, it's totally a community benefit.

The prototype cost $850, however note it's a one of a kind and significantly larger, we wouldn't have R&D this one had there only been a 5% benefit (i.e. CX IC) per another members post in this string. The intent was to find an IC with siginifncant improvement for the stock turbos & should one choose to upgrade turbos this IC will also handle the higher demands and eliminate the need to change the IC again... :hat_tip:

We're estimating an all around 25% benefit N size & Perf, that's a preliminary educated estimate based on physical measurements and an initial performance check.

Note: we are still scheduled to R&D with CPe for their IC after their finished doing the form, fit & function on the Fusion Sport which is installed and under test & evaluation as I type... :clapping:

As far as the BOV...go to my BOV topic and there is a link to the vendor (Turbosmart).

Hopefully this provided the answers U needed... :drop:

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 3

U R most welcome OnyX,

It's good 2 note that at least a few appreciate our efforts after having to tolerate so much opposition & criticism from other members.

People forget that this is truly a labor of love/common interest and we're not getting any benefits or kick backs, it's totally a community benefit.

The prototype cost $850, however note it's a one of a kind and significantly larger, we wouldn't have R&D this one had there only been a 5% benefit (i.e. CX IC) per another members post in this string. The intent was to find an IC with siginifncant improvement for the stock turbos & should one choose to upgrade turbos this IC will also handle the higher demands and eliminate the need to change the IC again... :hat_tip:

We're estimating an all around 25% benefit N size & Perf, that's a preliminary educated estimate based on physical measurements and an initial performance check.

Note: we are still scheduled to R&D with CPe for their IC after their finished doing the form, fit & function on the Fusion Sport which is installed and under test & evaluation as I type... :clapping:

As far as the BOV...go to my BOV topic and there is a link to the vendor (Turbosmart).

Thank you for replying. I'm not sure which forum members you are referring to when you mention opposition and criticism. Most if not all members have been helpful.

$850 for a 25%(educated estimate) increase in cooling sounds more than fair. Considering that the alternative is $550 for only a 5% increase.

I don't know why I thought that the BOV was one of the aftermarket products that you and Special K were working on. I thought the link you provided was to provide more information (usage, benefits of having one etc) on the BOV itself.

Thanks once again for sharing the fruits of your labor with us!

• Like 1

in my initial emails with Matt. He said the first intercooler would be discounted at $850, the rest would be in the 4 digit range, I then passed that intercooler to James once we figured shipping to Hawaii was gonna be a pain in the rear. Though it's been a minute. I could see him doing a group buy @850 though. Honestly, I'm waiting on the sizing of CPe to compare to Matts

• Like 1

Thank you for replying. I'm not sure which forum members you are referring to when you mention opposition and criticism. Most if not all members have been helpful.

$850 for a 25%(educated estimate) increase in cooling sounds more than fair. Considering that the alternative is $550 for only a 5% increase.

I don't know why I thought that the BOV was one of the aftermarket products that you and Special K were working on. I thought the link you provided was to provide more information (usage, benefits of having one etc) on the BOV itself.

We started the BOV topic (http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/23661-2016-sport-27-bov) to provide our findings after having helped a member with Mods on his 2015 Edge Sport FWD and being impressed with the quality and ease of fitment.

Also after modding other vehicles we have noted the need to refine the BOV pressure release point when increasing boost pressures, i.e. bigger turbos & a Tune.

Yes, it is correct that a stock Edge Sport does not warrant a BOV upgrade as of yet however, there isn't enough historical data on the G2 as of yet.

You are most welcome!

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

GT500R said they paid about 5 and change for their CXRacing intercooler. They said it was 5% bigger than stock. If the price is in the same ballpark, then the price would be fair. I agree data is essential for making an educated purchase. I would like to support the team that brings their ideas to life and shares them with the group.

I've modded every car that I have owned and made some purchases that seem necessary to me but unnecessary to others.

I agree with you. The catch can seems like a worthwhile investment. Anything that can potentially extend the life of the engine is money well spent. Its not snake oil and it has been proven. Some members here are getting better results than others. But only time will tell. It will be among the first mods I consider doing.

U R most welcome OnyX,

You guys all need to get the numbers straight.

I'll help put it into perspective.

1. The CXRacing intercooler was <$550 shipped... contact the guy for a quote, you can also increase the size per request (height) for increased cooling.

2. The CORE was 5% bigger, what does this mean? Well the dimensions vs. stock were 5% larger but all aluminum and better designed.

3. Wait so you only get 5% better cooling? NO, dear god I would not even tell anyone about this if I got 5% better cooling...

Tests pre and post intercooler show an average of 10*C in temps from 0-90. So take your original temp increase on stock intercooler, your increase on modified intercooler, difference, division and you get % gains. Which was 23%... logs show a decrease in KR at higher RPM, which means more timing which means more power back.

4. Intercoolers like the one I run or the others out there will gain the most from higher boost tunes, which as the moment I don't run a crazy high boost at high rpm tune (like LMS).

Also take off .4 - .7 seconds sounds awesome, that would take your SUV from 12.9 to a 12.2 to 12.5 SUV at least right? :hysterical:

• Like 3

Hi,

Tell Torrie to have the shutters be open 100% of the time through the tune. Makes a big difference with acceleration having the stock intercooler less heat soaked.

• Like 1

You guys all need to get the numbers straight.

I'll help put it into perspective.

1. The CXRacing intercooler was <$550 shipped... contact the guy for a quote, you can also increase the size per request (height) for increased cooling.

2. The CORE was 5% bigger, what does this mean? Well the dimensions vs. stock were 5% larger but all aluminum and better designed.

3. Wait so you only get 5% better cooling? NO, dear god I would not even tell anyone about this if I got 5% better cooling...

Tests pre and post intercooler show an average of 10*C in temps from 0-90. So take your original temp increase on stock intercooler, your increase on modified intercooler, difference, division and you get % gains. Which was 23%... logs show a decrease in KR at higher RPM, which means more timing which means more power back.

4. Intercoolers like the one I run or the others out there will gain the most from higher boost tunes, which as the moment I don't run a crazy high boost at high rpm tune (like LMS).

Also take off .4 - .7 seconds sounds awesome, that would take your SUV from 12.9 to a 12.2 to 12.5 SUV at least right? :hysterical:

Not trying to be argumentative. The numbers that I used were provided by one of your previous post. Apologies if i'm mistaken, I think this is the first time here that you discussed the % gained. All in all a very informative post. Thank you for shedding the light and being among the pioneers of putting the sport back into the edge sport!

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

Not trying to be argumentative. The numbers that I used were provided by one of your previous post. Apologies if i'm mistaken, I think this is the first time here that you discussed the % gained. All in all a very informative post. Thank you for shedding the light and being among the pioneers of putting the sport back into the edge sport!

Correct, I explained numbers in the previous posts, but no % efficiency gained.

Not trying to argue either, just making sure everyone has the facts!!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

In an effort to get this topic back on track... :doh:

While waiting on CPe to call us in sometime this month (Feb) we decided to attack the IC piping issue.

The piping on the IC intake side we deemed as being adequate however, the outlet side is whole nother can of worms, check out the Pics, see any problem... :drop:

Therefore, thanks to my awesome Ford parts guy... :hat_tip: he was nice enough to provide a sample outlet pipe for us to ship to the piping modification fabricator in FL... :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

post-46284-0-72281800-1517275093_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-28914300-1517275110_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-86487500-1517275151_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-78084900-1517275168_thumb.jpg

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2

Nick we cannot disclose that information to the public yet, sorry.

​however i can report that they did pulls on the same day with an unleashed tune on the stock and CPE FMIC and these are the results:

​Stock: Begin temp 70F / end temp 180F

CPE: begin temp 72F / end temp 87F and +38hp

That is all we are able to disclose at this time, sorry again

• Like 3