Panoramic vista roof on Ford Edge

I am writing on the forum today because I have never been so upset in my life about a car. I bought a used (17K miles on it) 2014 Ford Edge last year. It has 40K miles on it, I went to open the sun roof yesterday and the tread came falling down. I took it to the dealership and they told me it would be 4900.00 to fix. The whole thing needs to be replaced. They charged me 125.00 to close it and told me I couldn't open it again. My husband and I both have had Fords in the past and have always been loyal to this company. I was told that my warranty did not cover this. I am SICK! I am afraid to take it somewhere else in fear that they will mess it up or tell me the cost is the same. We have always bought the extended warranty, this time we didn't because we have never used it in the past. This is a defect in the roof and should not have happened!

I am so upset and lost; I do not know what to do about this!

Any suggestions????

Niecy

Any time you buy a used vehicle without a warranty you risk having a failure. It's entirely possible the previous owner damaged it.

If you had purchased it new then the dealer might be able to assist with an after warranty adjustment but not for a used vehicle.

Your only real recourse is to leave it closed or get it fixed and I would recommend getting more than one quote. $4900 sounds high if the glass itself is still intact.

Regardless of it being used. It should not have a problem at 40k Miles. So you are saying I am out of luck since there is not extended warranty. I am taking it back to the dealership where I bought it for a second opinion. And, yes the quote was 4900.00 to fix it at a Ford dealer. Crazy! Hopefully the second opinion will be better and the people there will be willing to help!

Just remember every dealer is an independent business - doesn't matter that they all have a Ford sign out front. Ford has no control over their business practices. So just because one dealer says $4900 doesn't mean another dealer won't give you a much cheaper alternative.

If the roof is intact I can't believe it would cost $4900.