To flush or not to flush

wlepse

Guys take this for what it is worth but this is what happened to me this morning. Last week I called into the dealer by my office to get a quote on a transmission flush and was quoted $199. I double checked with the service writer that this wasn't just a drain and fill it was a complete flush using the machine; he double checked with a tech and came back confirming it was a complete fluid replacement. So today I go in and noticed the guy was just draining the fluid, the truck wasn't hooked up to the power flusher. So I went over to the service writer and asked what was going on; he went out to the tech and was told they don't power flush Edges. When he came back in he told me he was initially given the wrong info, apologized and said they only flush the bigger transmissions. The service manager told him to have the tech complete the drain and fill at no charge which I thought was strange. When I stepped away from the desk I heard the manager say they have seen a high seal failure rate on the smaller transmissions after a power flush so they refuse to do them; I assume for liability reasons. While I haven't heard of this happening I figured I would share since they did have the machine and could have done the power flush easy enough and writing off the cost of labor and fluid was surely more than just connecting the truck to the machine. When they were done I did offer to at least pay for the fluid but the service writer said it was their mistake and apologized again. So like I said take it for what it is worth...I don't see they would have written off that cost unless there was a real reason to from their stand point. Interested to see what others think of this...but I guess my plans have changed, I will just do drain and fills maybe every 30k to keep things clean and running good.

• Like 1

Since they didn't use it I didn't see what they have either, just know they only use it on the big trucks. I thought the machine hooked up to the trans cooler lines and while the trans pumped fluid out to be cooled it was disposed of and the return hose was sucking from a clean reservoir. But come to think of it...do Edge's have trans coolers if you didn't get the towing package? I do know another dealer quoted $225 and stressed it was a complete fluid change so you get everything out of the torque converter, just didn't go there since they are not as easy to get into. In light of what I over heard I might not bother. I could do a drain and refill every three oil changes or something and play it safe.

• Like 1

a drain and fill is fine if you do it more often. I have always done the drain n fill in all my smaller vehicles, ie FWD.

I never liked the flush machines as some do put extra pressure on the system. And if you haven't changed the fluid in a while, this can cause some dirt/contaminants to come loose and that isn't good.

• Like 1

I really don't know but not sure I want to take the chance if the dealer was so dead set against it. Just doesn't make sense unless they have seen a real problem. But with that said maybe it is a function of their machine or how they operate it, just not sure why the larger trans' would be OK.

• Like 1

Mathematically it comes out to more like 87% with 3 drain & fills since about 50% of the fluid is drained each time.

The advantage is the machine will change 95% of the fluid including the torque converter. Even a 3x drain and refill is only going to get 60%-75% at best.

Probably more to do with the non-serviceable filter in the 6F50 transmission, rather than smaller/bigger. It's possible transmissions built for bigger vehicles are sturdier, but I am also sure they have serviceable filter and regular fluid change intervals.

I really don't know but not sure I want to take the chance if the dealer was so dead set against it. Just doesn't make sense unless they have seen a real problem. But with that said maybe it is a function of their machine or how they operate it, just not sure why the larger trans' would be OK.

I have been using the fluid transfer machine with my Edges for years now. ( I refer to it as a flush) but it is a fluid transfer. Best way to get most of the fluid out in my opinion and experience.

Ā 

I have read that the Flush machine requires pressure and transmission temps to be at near operational since the Thermal Bypass valve directing hot transmission fluid has to be open to exchange the fluid in the transmission cooler. In the trucks this bypass valve is located internally.

Ā 

The Edge has an external thermal bypass valve mounted on the side of the transmission. The lines do not go to a transmission cooler. The transmission fluid cooler and the AC condenser are the same part. All Edges use the AC condenser as a transmission cooler.

Ā 

FYI my transmission fluid changes cost me about 150 dollars.

• Like 2

I have been using the fluid transfer machine with my Edges for years now. ( I refer to it as a flush) but it is a fluid transfer. Best way to get most of the fluid out in my opinion and experience.

Ā 

I have read that the Flush machine requires pressure and transmission temps to be at near operational since the Thermal Bypass valve directing hot transmission fluid has to be open to exchange the fluid in the transmission cooler. In the trucks this bypass valve is located internally.

Ā 

The Edge has an external thermal bypass valve mounted on the side of the transmission. The lines do not go to a transmission cooler. The transmission fluid cooler and the AC condenser are the same part. All Edges use the AC condenser as a transmission cooler.

Ā 

FYI my transmission fluid changes cost me about 150 dollars.

Mac,

Ā 

How does the machine your using change fluids? I tried to figure it out from you video but could only see a line going through the oil dipstick.

very simple it merely replaces the drain and fill. They measure the dip stick to the line first as you do not want to just shove the hose down into the transmission and come into contact with anything. Then they fill the machine with new fluid and it then sucks out one quart and returns one quart, waits while fluid is circulated then sucks out one quart and replaces one quart. Thing is you can see the old dark fluid coming out and new going it to the transmission. Eventually the dark fluid being sucked out become lighter and lighter in color changing to a red equal to the fluid being put into the transmission. Then you finish your coffee and pay the man. IMO is beats the heck out of drain and fills.

• Like 1

I just figure I have never found a dealer that didn't want money, so the shear fact they refused to do it while providing a free service and since all they see are Fords I have to believe there's something to their concern. For those that are comfortable doing flushes...go for it...for those not sure, maybe more frequent drain and fills are the way to go. My plan is to do a drain and fill every 30k or so.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the great videos from MACTFORDEDGE! Makes life easier for us DIYer's

Ā 

I just did the "fluid transfer" on my 2011 Limited with 55K miles. Gave the dealer a shot while they were doing my oil change today (coupon.....). Asked them how much for the transmission flush..... response was "$199 plus labor, so would run you about $249." Gave em a chance...... so drove to the Valvoline store 1/4 mile away that has done my oil changes for years and it was $149 plus a $10 off coupon. They rolled out the same unit as MACT had in his video. Thanks again MACT!

Ā 

Here's a pic of the Valvoline MaxLife ATF going in (left) and the old coming out (right). 15 minutes out the door

Ā 

post-39090-0-88665000-1478716603_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Your dealers must not be up to date on their machines. I had the pan dropped and filter changed and low pressure fill and flush done for $199 on my automatic transmission Mustang at my local Ford dealer. I have read a lot of people using the 'chain' transmission shops that offer low pressure transmission flushes for around $150. I would check around and talk to other Ford dealers to see what they have to say about it :)

If they're doing a low pressure fluid swap you don't really need to drop the pan or change the filter. As a transmission engineer once told me - if there is enough stuff to clog up the filter then the tranny is already toast.

Ā 

It's suggested to drop the pan and change the filter for the first flush because of the break in of new parts. I watched them doing it and they showed me the pan when it was dropped. The filter looked pretty clean but was changed anyway. What was very dirty was the magnet that sits in the bottom of the pan. It looked like it was covered with 'graphite'. It was cleaned off and put back in the pan. They told me this was normal, they also told me the next time they will just flush the transmission without changing the filter or dropping the pan. This was done to my Mustang at 20,000 miles :)