"Grabby" brakes...

Hi, new guy here, with a question about the brakes our new vehicle... we recently bought the car, a 2015 Titanium model, that hadn't been registered... so it's a "new" vehicle, though it has about 5,000 miles on the odometer. Apparently, it was the dealership's owner's ride for a while.

Anyway, I did check "search" and didn't see anything directly related to what I'm experiencing... and that is, the brakes seem awful "grabby". They don't pull to the right or left, they're just not "linear", it's as if they are an "on/off" switch.

Perhaps it's just a matter of adjusting to a new car, but I thought I ask and see if others have experienced this.

Other than that, we couldn't be more pleased about this car... it rides, handles and performs as well, or better, than any of the "up market" brands we test drove.

Thanks for any feed-back...

Possible they use different brake pads? MKX shows

14 F2GZ-2001-A FRONT PADS

MKX

$94.37

$65.11

Edge options show:

14 F2GZ-2001-C BRAKE PADS

W/18 ROTOR

$94.37 $65.11 14 F2GZ-2001-A BRAKE PADS

W/17 ROTOR

$94.37 $65.11 14 F2GZ-2001-C FRONT PADS

EDGE; 18 FRONT BRAKES

$94.37 $65.11 14 F2GZ-2001-A FRONT PADS

EDGE; 17 FRONT BRAKES

$94.37 $65.11

Just a follow-up... apparently, I'm "getting used to" the brake feel. They still seems rather abrupt, but I'm beginning to get the feel.

By comparison, after not driving it, I drove my '07 Magnum R/T today, and the difference in brake feel is amazing. Neither car is "bad", I just find the brakes on my Magnum so much easier to modulate. Of course, I've been driving it since 2007, so I know exactly what to expect.

Edited by unca waldo

Hi,

I have noticed that when I am driving and try to apply the breaks I sometimes don't get any until I step down really hard, then it grabs. at times if I am reversing I don't get no breaks at all???

can someone tell me what might cause this on my 2011 ford edge.

I have checked the break fluid and it seems to be fine.

Hi,

I have noticed that when I am driving and try to apply the breaks I sometimes don't get any until I step down really hard, then it grabs. at times if I am reversing I don't get no breaks at all???

can someone tell me what might cause this on my 2011 ford edge.

I have checked the break fluid and it seems to be fine.

have you had any work done on the breaks recently?

Could be air trapped in the line. Have you tried to bleed the break lines?

I had the same problem with my '15 Sport. There is a SSM (Special Service Message) about the issue. Bring it to a dealer and the fix is to replace the brake booster with an updated part.

do you know the SSM # I would like to have it before I go to the dealer and get brushed off once again :headspin:

• 2 months later...

I've noticed this from day one on my Feb 2016 build Titanium. Just last week found info on NHTSA & Ford TSB regarding this problem. The numbers are TSB# SSM-45857 & NHTSA ID # 10081005, which applies to all Edge & MKX built before 23 March 2016.

I went into my dealership here in Toronto and they hadn't any knowledge of this bulletin and also said It did not apply to my particular vehicle, which it definetly did.

Next step Ford Canada Customer Services.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well had my Edge back at the dealership again (see my above post) and they agreed there was a problem. They ordered the replacement brake booster which was on back order and arranged a loan car for me. Picked up car after two weeks and it now stops as it should do. I can slow down without the brakes grabbing. Feels like a different vehicle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the brake booster replaced on my '15 Edge due to the "grabby" brakes. It seems to have helped with that problem, but now every morning when I go to start the car and I push on my brake pedal, the pedal is hard. Once it starts, the pedal drops down to the normal area where it should be, and while driving it is fine, it is just after the car sits overnight that the pedal is hard. I guess I need to take it back to the dealer for that now. :(

• Like 1

Sounds like you may have a small leak in the vacuum booster or line leading to it. A leak will allow the vacuum to bleed off and when you start the car, it's re-established and your brakes operate normally.

it may just be when the technician was reattaching the vacuum line, he didn't get it fully seated. As long as it doesn't rupture or fall off, you should be Okay, but have it checked ASAP.

• Like 1

Well, I dropped off my Edge yesterday to the dealer, and he called me a little bit ago and said they confirmed the hard pedal this morning. They checked out everything and could not find an issue, so they are ordering another new brake booster. Maybe I should of just put up with the grabby brakes throughout my 3 year lease, it has already been over a year. Hopefully this doesn't become an ongoing issue. :(

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

We are having the same problem............ our 2015 is in the shop for a brake booster replacement...... Ford has a bulletin about it.

I had on service writer to give me the run-around, but another person knew about the problem. Hope it works........... dealer is Supreme Ford Slidell, LA