Magnaflow

gjb89

Sound sculpting is bread and butter for a lot of companies, just gotta keep asking till you find ones willing to work with you on your application. For example, MRT has a very specific sound I think they like to go for, and they get it across engine types. Plus, if you put in cutouts, take mufflers out of the equation, you can definitely gain more than 2 hp :) but that is not an everyday solution.

Borla will probably not sell any systems for the Edge Sport, but I know that they used to sell universal mufflers that you could take to any exhaust shop and weld one. That may be out of date though as I have not checked, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with that giant suitcase like muffler we have in the back.

On dear goodness, don't do cutouts. It will not sound very good and in fact only v8's usually can get away with it. While twin turbos tend to not get as obnoxiously loud, it can become very obnoxious in SUV's from the droning.

when you start buying my mods, I'll start building my car to your specs. Everything you've said in this thread has been negative. I don't think any of us build our cars to please you.

cutouts eliminate back pressure, turbos hate back pressure.

Even turbos need some backpressure. While simple cutouts will not make as big of a difference, some of the 2.3 guys in particular are burning up their turbos after modifying the turbo downpipes. I have been around the block, tested lots of mods, and have seen lots of people do mods. Doing simple cutouts will not make much of a difference until you start doing some serious power adders. Ford factory exhaust systems have been well optimized and I have seen dynos of people who actually lost power when they went too far with their exhaust systems. Based on the pictures I have seen of our true dual systems, I think it has been very well done as I see no major sources of restrictions like you used to see in factory exhausts from the pre mid 90's era. At this stage, you are not going to gain anything noticeable while you will make your car much more obnoxious both to yourself and others. If you are happy with that, then go ahead. You do not need to please me, and I only seek to inform potential readers to some of the pitfalls. Maybe I sound negative because there really is not a whole lot that we can do to our vehicles right now without having a speed shop do custom work. I am hoping the Fusion Sport will change that for us. I watched a few of your videos and traction seems to be a real limitation to more power.

Do you think a larger diameter tip would give it a better sound at all? The diesel guys low those obnoxious large tips.

I thought it was more of a style thing as some diesels like the Colorado with the baby Duramax even come with bazooka sized tips. From a stock perspective, newer diesels may have a special shield around the tip to protect the body from the heat that can be produced when it goes into regen mode. It used to be the ricers in the 90's that put these size tips on.

Meanwhile our motor, not the 2.3 is making 20-30hp just off cutouts in f150. 3.5 with some upgrades gained 50hp just on cutouts.

Cutouts arent a drive all the time mod anyway. Its a i need it now, quartermile at the track mod

If you are looking for a 1/4 mile mod, have you tried sizing some super sticky R compound tires or maybe street legal drag radials. Sizing will probably be a huge challenge to find and those tires could very well break driveline components and even void the warranty. Back in my SHO days, it took a stock v8 sho running nitrous from the 14's into the 13's. I got to drive it once during a meet and it was insane how it just hooked up.

I thought it was more of a style thing as some diesels like the Colorado with the baby Duramax even come with bazooka sized tips. From a stock perspective, newer diesels may have a special shield around the tip to protect the body from the heat that can be produced when it goes into regen mode. It used to be the ricers in the 90's that put these size tips on.

Reading a few threads on some other forums ipthere seems to be a consensus that are larger tip will change the tone, nothing drastic.

I'm wondering if I can find a 2.25 in inlet and a larger od turndown. I would place the turn downs right after the muffler.

Reading a few threads on some other forums ipthere seems to be a consensus that are larger tip will change the tone, nothing drastic.

I'm wondering if I can find a 2.25 in inlet and a larger od turndown. I would place the turn downs right after the muffler.

Come to think of it, I cannot really hear the exhaust as it is so quiet. I mostly hear induction noise combined with a little valvetrain noise. How will hou navigate those exhaust outlets integrated into the bumper?

• 2 months later...

Have a consultation with a shop next week for a custom exhaust. I asked them how much just for a rear muffler delete/replacement and it was only 150 CAD installed. There is a reason why I think the MRT system is stupidly priced.

Beezz, plz post your outcome. I am also considering an exhaust change and not sure I want to pull the trigger on the MRT, cost and sound the youtube videos are not the best... I had a phone consultation with a custom shop, while informative I didn't come way feeling good. It seems most of their work is V8 centric, not any ecoboost work. If you do the install, I would be interested in what your final design was and your thoughts.

• Like 1

Check out the fusionsportforums.com there is alot more guys on there that are more eager to mod the 2.7... A few of them have done a few different custom exhaust setups, should be able to help decide on what path you want to take with yours.

http://www.fusionsportforums.com/forum/225-fusion-v6-sport-performance/6057-mrt-axle-back.html

http://www.fusionsportforums.com/forum/225-fusion-v6-sport-performance/6545-custom-catback-exhaust.html

Edited by gjb89
  • Like 3

May have increase the loudness by 10% not much at all. It did add an awful rasp and crackling sound that reminded me to much of the rice cars with the big fart cans on them.

Duly noted, slightly disappointing though.

Will do titan01, not sure when everything will be completely done by. It'll probably take some time to get the sound right.

gjb89, good read, the poster 'ecoboosted's system does sound pretty good, they did end up quieting it down though. We'll see how bad the edge drones soon enough.

Update 12/01/17: In about 3 weeks I'll be having specifics about the system back from the shop (their exhaust guys are taking time off) total is going to be around $1000 CAD for them to do a complete cat back install. I'll post back with pics and whatnot whenever it gets finished

Edited by Beezz
  • Like 4

Something to remember if you are doing a custom exhaust is that very few exhaust shops(literally very very few) have a mandrel bender. Most utilize a crush bender which adds restrictive kinks in all the bends. The material is also important as most utilize economy grade aluminized steel which has a much shorter life than high quality grades of stainless such as T409(most common due to price) or T304(very high quality and will outlast your car). The other thing they better keep in mind is the ensure that their system retains the equal length nature of the stock system.

• Like 1