Magnaflow

gjb89

Duly noted, slightly disappointing though.

Will do titan01, not sure when everything will be completely done by. It'll probably take some time to get the sound right.

gjb89, good read, the poster 'ecoboosted's system does sound pretty good, they did end up quieting it down though. We'll see how bad the edge drones soon enough.

Update 12/01/17: In about 3 weeks I'll be having specifics about the system back from the shop (their exhaust guys are taking time off) total is going to be around $1000 CAD for them to do a complete cat back install. I'll post back with pics and whatnot whenever it gets finished

Hey Beezz, it has been a few months. I wanted to check in on how the exhaust work is going. Very curious on your plans and if installed what you did, how it sounds and any lessons learned?

Hey Beezz, it has been a few months. I wanted to check in on how the exhaust work is going. Very curious on your plans and if installed what you did, how it sounds and any lessons learned?

Hey there Titan, I honestly haven't gotten much done. The shop I'm working with was unable to source a good muffler for the rear and they told me once they find one thats going to suit the build they'll let me know. Its been a few weeks since I talked with them, the last update is they are trying to source the MRT muffler only, but haven't had any luck. I've been super busy with school and haven't had much time to spend on the edge. The next update will probably will be in late May when I'm done with exams and have had time to check out some other shops. I'll definitely post back if anything changes. Im calling LMS soon about some other things so I'll see what they say about an exhaust.

Update March 10th: Can't source the MRT muffler from vendors here, moving on to another shop.

Edited by Beezz
  • Like 2

Hey there Titan, I honestly haven't gotten much done. The shop I'm working with was unable to source a good muffler for the rear and they told me once they find one thats going to suit the build they'll let me know. Its been a few weeks since I talked with them, the last update is they are trying to source the MRT muffler only, but haven't had any luck. I've been super busy with school and life and haven't had much time to spend on the edge. The next update will probably will be in late May when I'm done with exams and have had time to check out some other shops. I'll definitely post back if anything changes. Im calling LMS this Tuesday about some other things so I'll see what they say about an exhaust

Appreciate your desire to be the trailblazer here... Would have pulled the trigger on the MRT a longtime ago but you know how it is, always looking for something better...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some SS mufflers from Magnaflow that are similar to the ones used in their cat back for the FWD Sport. The shorter one I would use in the back and is straight thru design the other is longer for under car and has an internal X-Pipe also striaght thru design. Of course you will need muffler shop to bend pipe to fit and weld hangers to fit stock locations. MRT mufflers hang too low while these will fit the stock locations. Amazon has mufflers for $93 and $123. Pipe, labor etc should be $300-400.

post-45225-0-58987500-1489890661_thumb.png

post-45225-0-53863200-1489890725_thumb.png

post-45225-0-99826800-1489890824_thumb.png

Edited by STB130
  • Like 2

Just remember that if you need to bend pipes, very few exhaust shops have a mandrel bender as nearly all utilize a crush bender. Mandrel benders are insanely expensive. Crush benders add kinks at the bend along with ripples at times that can cause a bottleneck in the flow of exhaust. This could defeat any gain you may have been seeking to gain unless you were looking purely for a sound increase.

• Like 1

Just remember that if you need to bend pipes, very few exhaust shops have a mandrel bender as nearly all utilize a crush bender. Mandrel benders are insanely expensive. Crush benders add kinks at the bend along with ripples at times that can cause a bottleneck in the flow of exhaust. This could defeat any gain you may have been seeking to gain unless you were looking purely for a sound increase.

Yes

That why you have to find a good shop to bend the pipe

A good shop and a bad shop will still be utilizing a crush bender. There are probably less than 5 shops in the entire country that have the ability to mandrel bend custom pipes due to the insanely expensive nature along with the skill level required when operating one of those.

Remember that maintaining the equal length nature of the factory true dual system means that the shop will have to get creative with the bends. Each crush bend adds a restriction point.

That Borla muffler in that Edge wouldn't help us at all as we have a true dual system. That is why replacing just the muffler gets tricky with the Sport as Ford got creative to maintain an equal length true dual setup. I have been a huge fan of Borla exhaust systems, but they do not have any catback or rear section systems for us. Borla exhaust systems have little to no drone and they are designed for each application. Most recently, I ran a Borla system towing a trailer through the mountains of Northern BC in Canada with absolutely no drone. I have run Borla systems on most vehicles I have owned and the sound they create is legendary. The quality of their systems is also second to none, but you pay a hefty price tag for it. If someone is just swapping out mufflers, then I have no experience with that and it is quite possible that there is drone when doing that.

That Borla muffler in that Edge wouldn't help us at all as we have a true dual system. That is why replacing just the muffler gets tricky with the Sport as Ford got creative to maintain an equal length true dual setup. I have been a huge fan of Borla exhaust systems, but they do not have any catback or rear section systems for us. Borla exhaust systems have little to no drone and they are designed for each application. Most recently, I ran a Borla system towing a trailer through the mountains of Northern BC in Canada with absolutely no drone. I have run Borla systems on most vehicles I have owned and the sound they create is legendary. The quality of their systems is also second to none, but you pay a hefty price tag for it. If someone is just swapping out mufflers, then I have no experience with that and it is quite possible that there is drone when doing that.

It was the muffler only I was referring to (which is what they are selling). Although I had a full cat back Borla exhaust on my previous Subaru BRZ and the drone was terrible. I ended up switching it for an HKS cat back.

I have run Borla's on many of my previous vehicles and have never had any drone issues. Borla in their latest designs even acoustically tune their systems to avoid droning. Maybe we are talking about a different noise as I will admit that I have never run a Borla system on anything I owned that had less than 6 or 8 cylinders.

If you have an Edge Sport AWD, yes the MRT appears to be the only option. It is a rear section exhaust so not a full length system. I am curious to see if anyone here is running it as their video makes me think that it is just barely louder than stock. The issue with exhausts and the 2.7 has been that it is not very easy to get this motor sounding very good. A lot of the F150's with the 2.7 running an aftermarket catback sound like ricers.

I have run Borla's on many of my previous vehicles and have never had any drone issues. Borla in their latest designs even acoustically tune their systems to avoid droning. Maybe we are talking about a different noise as I will admit that I have never run a Borla system on anything I owned that had less than 6 or 8 cylinders.

If you have an Edge Sport AWD, yes the MRT appears to be the only option. It is a rear section exhaust so not a full length system. I am curious to see if anyone here is running it as their video makes me think that it is just barely louder than stock. The issue with exhausts and the 2.7 has been that it is not very easy to get this motor sounding very good. A lot of the F150's with the 2.7 running an aftermarket catback sound like ricers.

Are you talking about cat back or axle back?