Current Honda owner interested in Ford Edge

Leah Maureen

Hi Everyone!

I'm a young mom with my second child on the way. I'm currently driving a 2007 Honda Accord which I absolutely love. I love it because it's been a good car to me, no major issues at all!

Any who, I was interested in a Honda Pilot but have been scared away reading about VCM vibration issues. I have yet to test drive a Ford Edge but researching online I've fallen in love!! I'm currently stuck on what year to purchase...I'm looking at 2013-2015.

Can anyone direct me to the correct place to post about this? I'm looking for a reliable year since this will be a family vehicle! Thank you!!! :noobie:

The 2015 Edge is a new generation, 2011-2014 are the older models. In general, the newer you get would be better, other than very early 2011 builds, there are no specific years with problems.

So if you liked the 2011-2014 models, get a 2014. Avoid any unwanted features like AWD or the Vista roof unless you really need them & enjoy. It is also a good idea to get a certified pre-owned with extended warranty for the piece of mind.

Another alternative would be the Lincoln MKX, it is mechanically a twin to the Edge with some few more bells & whistles & a longer factory warranty. Only the MKX's new generation debuted in 2016, so the 2015 model is similar to 2011-2014 (unlike the Edge), price for used ones are generally not that much higher than Edges.

• Like 2

Make sure maintenance is uptodate on the potential purchase. A lot of people seem to sell their vehicles right around when a major service might be coming up, and you don't want to be out of pocket right away. Not a "fault" in the vehicle, but just routine stuff.

Also, try and get a CPO (certified pre-owned) Edge, if the Edge is not under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. It drives up the price some, but gives great peace of mind. Then buy an extended warranty from Ford (aftermarket warranties are a crapshoot), Premiumcare being the highest level. You can compare the various levels of coverage here:

http://www.factoryplans.com/assets/cms/files/brochure_FordESPPlanOptions.pdf

If you decide to purchase said warranty, look up online pricing from lombardfordwarrantys.com (they are an authorized Ford dealer) to get an idea of how much the warranty costs. Try to have the selling dealership (if Ford) build it into the vehicle's financing at that price, or just buy it separately yourself.

I just bought a 2010 Ford Edge. My wife has a 2013 Honda Pilot. They are not the same vehicle at all. The pilot is a 8 passenger vehicle, the edge is only 5.

But of the ones I have are 3.5 V6. The edge is only FWD and the pilot has AWD.

The pilot doesn't really have the VCM issue. If you do get a pilot, you can always muzzle the VCM and this will get rid of the ECO mod and stop any vibration.

I am 6'4" and bigger guy. The pilot is nice, but the edge has more leg room for me in both the driver and passenger seat. The edge is a lot faster.

It should come down to, do you want a car that seats 5 people or 8 people.

If you are looking for as new as a 2015, have you considered buying a new 2016? There are really good deals along with 0% financing for up to 6 years. Not paying interest really raises your car buying ability for a budget. The new Edge is really refined and behaves more like an entry level luxury car.

• Like 1

If you are looking for as new as a 2015, have you considered buying a new 2016? There are really good deals along with 0% financing for up to 6 years. Not paying interest really raises your car buying ability for a budget. The new Edge is really refined and behaves more like an entry level luxury car.

Plus the 2015 Edge was the first year of the re-design and, IMO, should be avoided due to water issues (yes, they were eventually fixed, but there's no guarantee that EVERY vehicle still being sold isn't one of the suspect units until it pees all over itself on the inside and then you know), tailight condensation. And no Sync 3.

If you're looking for earlier years, check consumer reports and carcomplaints.com. I forget which year (2013?) but one of the Edge years was a total dog, IMO. Compared to others.

I have to agree with Omar, it's definitely worth checking out the 11-15 Lincoln MKX. I have put lots of miles on a 2011 Edge and a 2014 MKX. Prices can be pretty close between these two on the used market and I personally think the MKX is way nicer. Lincoln vehicles seem to drop in value more then others when driven off the new car lot and this is something you can really take advantage of. The Lincoln's interior materials/design, ride quality and interior noise level is what really separates it from the Edge.

Edited by fishx65

I have to agree with Omar, it's definitely worth checking out the 11-15 Lincoln MKX. I have put lots of miles on a 2011 Edge and a 2014 MKX. Prices can be pretty close between these two on the used market and I personally think the MKX is way nicer. Lincoln vehicles seem to drop in value more then others when driven off the new car lot and this is something you can really take advantage of. The Lincoln's interior materials/design, ride quality and interior noise level is what really separates it from the Edge.

Luxury cars in general tend to depreciate quickly. The 2 brands that are consistently immune to this phenomena is Lexus and Porsche. I know quite a few people who as a result wait for 18-24 month luxury cars to hit the market which are usually still under warranty.