0-60 | Quarter Mile | Stock | Tuned Edge Sport Thread

GT500R

Since I realized I have a lot of threads in this forum around 0-60 and different tests, I figure I am going to keep them all in one thread to make things nice and neat.

This thread will be a good repository to show people performance I measure through VBOX and track for not only Stock tuned vehicles, but different tuners also - LMS, Unleashed, etc.

TEST: Stock tune - Drive vs. Sport

Hey guys,

So now that my car is broken in a bit more I am starting to perform some testing to see how my 0-60 changes with different driving methods. Today's test is a stock test measuring 0-60 between Drive and Sport mode in the transmission.

I did something similar with my GLi (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7243386-VBOX-Times-VS-Tune-gt-APR-Tune) and would like to do the same for this car.

So here we go....

One run each transmission mode in a straight away with almost same starting point.

You will notice a negative slope, which is less than a half of a percent... so that means I started at an elevation of 187.8 ft and when the run was over was at 186.5 ft (essentially negligible).

Brake boost was 1000 rpm for each run, 93 octane, and legit 0-60 (not a 1 foot roll out)

pwPh3aa.png

Questions or comments welcome! One fun fact was the SPORT mode run had a 0-60 with 1 foot roll out of 5.672 seconds!

I am thinking next test should be best brake boost point? 1000 rpm vs. 1500 rpm vs 2000 rpm, thoughts?

TEST: Stock tune vs. RPM Launch

Specs -
2015 Edge Sport
100% stock with 2800 miles on the clock
Rune performed in SPORT with 1/2 tank of 93 octane
I didn't catch the exact DA, but was around 55* and close to sea level.
First run was in Drive just a a warm up, then two runs were made there after in each direction and valid best runs were taken to compare
Results below -
bCsCU7s.png
Now if you are like me, you said.... wait how did the lowest RPM get the fastest? And I thought the same... so I dug into the graphs and what I remember feeling when launching. I remember 1500 wasn't as bad as 2000 rpm in terms of smoothness when I let go of the brakes. It's like the car jumped for a split second, had to catch up and then go. 1000 rpm was just smooth, no catching up, no small bog... So I checked the graphs (on the right side of the pic above). And as you can see, the green line (Lateral G's) goes to the first high point quicker in the 1000 rpm graphs (the line is the same size to compare them across) then the other two runs... interesting...
So conclusion is 1000 rpm is the best launch point for a 2015 Edge Sport based on the data I have.
Questions, comments, etc. welcome. Now I am thinking the next test can be a 87 octane vs. 93 octane. Or a tune if Livernois ever releases it!!! :P

TEST: 93 off the shelf tune w/ and w/o K&N Filter

So after dave80 told me K&N Filters for the car are on sale during Black Friday ($37 plus $10 rebate), I decided to get one and see if there is any difference in performance.

Testing was done from 30-60 and 40-80 very most consistent results since I most likely couldn't do the same exact launch every single time for 0-60. (Plus there was a small amount of moisture on the road)

Le Filter ->V9r3xPX.jpg?1

Le Testing results -> 98dCqXi.png

Test Notes:
- Can't really feel any difference by the seat of my pants (didn't expect to)
- MPG seem to be up slightly (yay)
- Seems that it does make the car slightly quicker
- Based on testing, the filter is good for a tenth or so in the 1/4 mile or longer roll runs.
- Based on 40-80, it seems that the K&N car is 10 feet in front at 80 mph which is roughly 1/2 car, not bad.

Will most likely retest a 0-60 to see if there is any difference when it dries up a bit.

Thanks guys.

Edited by GT500R

TEST: 93 off the shelf tune vs. RPM launch
Specs -
Livernois 93 Tune
Winter Wheel Set Up
Miles = 4300
1/4 tank of 93 octane
48* F
All tests done with traction control off and Sport Mode. I used my old school Scan Gauge (like 2004 era...) to understand RPM when launching. Also note that all runs done on a private road - not a track.
aJl5Jqs.png
Took a couple videos of the scan gauge to see IAT change over the run. To be honest, it didn't go up at all during 0-60, it actually went down on the runs interestingly enough....
3mBYUjC.png
Test Notes
- Runs were performed in the order above, car is extremely consistent (last 3 runs were estimated RPM)
- 1500 RPM is not as great where it used to be pretty decent with the stock tune
- 2000 RPM is the sweet spot (maybe 2200?)
- 2300 RPM spun ALL FOUR TIRES and it showed.... I assume with a better street set up that I would grab a really good 0-60.
- Best 1/8 mile time (only one of them was 8.7 @ 81 mph - last run of the night)
- The one 91 Octane Tune I had was 5.408
- The best 93 Stock Tune I had was 5.976
- The 1 foot roll out average is 4.9 (what magazines use to test), best of 4.8!
This tune took off .806 seconds off my best 0-60 and I must say I am impressed, I can't wait to see what downpipes / intercooler pipes / intake does (maybe 0-60 in 4.8?).

Thanks Livernois Motorsports, can't wait to see how the car performs when you tweak the tune later on down the road!

TEST: 93 off the shelf tune w/colder weather

7650 miles

93 LMS tune

K&N Filter

Sport Mode

DA: -2200 feet (he he he)

XcL21e7.png

(data directly from vBox Tools website - new best on the 0-60!!!)

Oh and a bonus for those who wanted to see a 0-60 video and watch the lag after 2nd gear (damn 60-70 lag) here it is!

Thanks guys!

Edited by GT500R

TEST: 93 off the shelf tune vs. the "91 aggressive tune" (93 aggressive tune also available).

"The transmission tune has firmer shifting and an overall more aggressive shift strategy which is the primary changes to the tune. The 93 tune would still have more timing advance because of the higher octane." - LMS

Impressions of the 91 agr. tune: the shifting is actually better then the current offering of tunes! Shifting is very quick (almost like my DSG VW, but not quite) and CRISP, there is no clunking, banging, etc. from the shift strategy on this tune - which the other 93 tune doesn't really clunk, but I feel like it sometimes bangs into the next gear on full throttle and I feel it can be a bit smoother. Normal "D" is very nice with the shifts also, crisp and clean. I think there is a bit more aggressive tuning (timing) in this tune based on the canned tune but I am not 100% certain. Either way I ran three times and had very similar results each run. It seems that this tune is just a SMIDGE slower then the 93 can tune (pretty cool). I now want the shift strategy on my 93 tune! DA was pretty much same for all runs for both tunes (-2200 DA)

TbWwDtU.png

I am not sure if I should keep posting these threads or should just create one big VBOX thread to sticky or keep updating? Do you guys mind these many updates?

Thanks.

TEST: Actual Track Time

Anyway.... decided to take my car to the track.

2015 Edge Sport (CAR 8909)

10,xxx miles

LMS 93 Octane Tune

K&N Filter

Stock Wheels (no more winter set up)

bwjgn4W.png

What is super interesting is comparing this to Corey's run -

w1tOApL.png

Legit almost a dead even race the whole way...

TEST: Modified Stock Grille To Increase Air To Intercooler.
QUESTION: Will removing panels on the stock lower grille decrease air temp to the engine and help performance?

Conditions: Summer night, +600 DA | 68*
93 LMS Tune
K&N panel filter

Test procedure: let off brake then mash gas to keep out other variables about launch rpm etc. 0-60 was measured with 1 foot roll out.

Modifying the stock grille to remove panels and increase air flow to the intercooler. Blue tape was used for testing the stock style grille.

QaHadxQ.png

Results: No actual change 0-60 (ran with a 1 foot roll out - no launch for consistency) nor temperature changes with intake temp.
Three runs were made with each grille type back to back trying to get start temp close before the next run.
Rsi3dzW.png

First run examples of how temperature vs. mph is plotted on a graph shown below. Was hoping to see maybe area under the curve better for the modified grille, nope.
6RHDryf.png

Conclusion: if you want your grille to look more aesthetically correct, this is a good mod, looking to gain performance, probably not going to happen.

Edited by GT500R

TEST: Altering shift points

I have been working with LMS on lowering the shift points to see if anything changes with 0-60.

Theory is by 6100+ rpm the turbo's are just pushing hot air and after the trans. shifts it isn't fully utilizing the power band.

Request was to lower shift points from LMS....

1. 0-60 w/1 foot roll out time was not affected in any way with the shorter shifts. 4.85 ave. for short shifts vs. 4.86 ave for long shifts (3 runs each).
2. RPM only change slightly from the long shift.... which was a bit disappointing....
Long shift points were averaged as so -
1st to 2nd gear shift rpm was 6225
2nd to 3rd gear shift rpm was 6350
Short shift points were averaged as so -
1st to 2nd gear shift rpm was 6100
2nd to 3rd gear shift rpm was 6200
the short shift was pretty much spot on from what I got from the stock tune. I assume the tuner just set the settings back to stock instead of adjusting from stock.
Some things I noticed with the short shift tune was less wheel hop after the 1st-2nd shift, just as quick acceleration (as stated above), turbo air cooler temps didn't go as high, spark advance was a tad better and cat temps were just a bit lower. My theory is the turbo at 6.2 - 6.4 rpm is really blowing a lot of hot air and out of the efficiency range and helps out slightly with temps. I recon a couple less rpm will help out even more.
EQ4PSvt.png

TEST: Altering shift points v2

LMS further lowered the shift points to 6k exactly.

Long story short...

Straight 0-60 (not 1 foot roll out)

DA = +500

Short Shift V2
1 - 5.12
2 - 5.13
3 - 5.10
Normal Tune
1 - 5.03
2 - 5.07
3 - 5.07

Going to stick with the stock shift point tune for now as I feel it is just as good as the aggressive shift tune.

TEST: VBOX vs. LIVELINK 0-60

I see a lot of folks using the livelink data logs to show 0-60. Since I have both livelink and VBOX (https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/index.php/us/) I figured it would be a good idea to compare the two and see how accurate the live link truly is to the Vbox.

I took a couple of tests done on different days ensuring I had both the Vbox AND the livelink running during the same time.

All runs are 0-60 (not 1 foot roll out) and are on a level ground.

DA is anywhere from +100 to +500.

ZcJcJGK.png

Clearly the live link is very very close to the Vbox, being only hundredths of a second difference.

While the live link is pretttty close, the other things to consider is the grade (uphill vs. downhill) and distance. So the Vbox can show the grade and sometimes you think the road is level, but it sometimes might not be.. also the Vbox can show distance measures (1/8 mile and 1/4 mile which is super accurate vs. the track - see above test).

Overall, use the live link to show 0-60, its is pretty damn accurate.

TEST: Actual Track Time v2 (right car)

sshcYy7.jpg

Decided to get around 10 runs in at the track, majority being 13.4xx range and squeezed out two 13.3xx with this one being the fastest!!!!

WOOP WOOP

TEST: Unleashed Tuning Rev 5

Unleashed had a chance to work on the 2.7 more closely and really straightened out the tune on what it was before. I believe I was one of the few that received this rev. and decided to provide more and more data logging to get it to be as fast as possible. After 5 revisions I felt like I should do a quick litmus test and see how quick the SUV was. I knew it was going to be fast, and sure enough each run got faster and faster.

I need to work straighten out the wheel hop during the 1-2 shift. Not sure if the trans. pressure needs to increase or decrease to help.....

8N4YY6E.png

TEST: LMS 100 Octane Tune

Whoops forgot about this thread.... April was racing with 100 octane and was able to pull off a 13.1x@104.xx

EsznIuC.jpg

TEST: Unleashed 93 Octane Tune / 100 Octane Tune

Tested out the 93 and 100 octane tunes (100 wasn't much faster and sent logs to Torrie to figure out if something needs to be changed).

Slips below!

CLhQSc0.jpg

TEST: Unleashed Tuning E30 Tune

Track day extravaganza!!

Unleashed vs LMS

I am going to try and keep this post as short as possible, but Leo and I decided to hit the track up for the last time of the season.

Leo Edge Mods - 4460 lbs
- Springs
- Thermostat
- Race can gas
- LMS V3 Tune (93 and 100)

Chris (me) Edge Mods - 4460 lbs
- Trans Mount
- Intercooler
- E30
- Unleashed V3 E30 Tune

Both set ups have winter tires.

Since Leo forgot not one but both helmets at home I decided to let my car cool off and run Leo's car on the 93 tune - 13.24(?)@104.x. Almost beating the straight 93 octane 1/4 mile record time by me.

We then got a rental helmet and went head to head 4 times.

Averages for the 4 runs:
LMS - 13.150 @ 105.11
Unleashed - 13.037 @ 106.44

Leo unfortunately went 0-4 in the fastest time contest but if we were bracket racing went 2-2.

All Unleashed runs -
13.015@106.48
13.011@106.29
12.999@106.51
13.033@106.13
13.077@106.73
13.039@106.40

I would say pretty damn consistent, if I could get my 60' down in the 1.8 range, this would be 12.8x or low 12.9 all day. Not bad for an intercooler 5% bigger then stock and a tune for power adders.

6CaUrK2.jpg

TEST: Unleashed 93 Octane Tune / 100 Octane Tune

Tested out the 93 and 100 octane tunes (100 wasn't much faster and sent logs to Torrie to figure out if something needs to be changed).

Slips below!

Edited by GT500R
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this. Very much appreciated. Does this car have 12s in it? Larger inter cooler? How long is the tranny gonna last?

12's with just a tune, no. 12's with race gas and exhaust, probably. Larger intercooler and W/M injection would probably get it real close to 12's too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Okay my engine tune is done. I am checking about firming up the shifts. Torrie says I have a 91 performance tune.

I haven't found a flat place to really test. It seems from 8-60 mph I am 1/2 sec faster (actually .56), and from 8 to 80 a sec faster (actually 1.04).

My Edge has the Ford 21 Sport rims. Also it is a 2017, and Torrie used the HP Tuner, where I would do many 0-60 and 0-80 WoT and send him the logs and then he would make changes.

I am using the HP Tuner software for logging the times, I assume that is pretty accurate?

how does that look?

Okay my engine tune is done. I am checking about firming up the shifts. Torrie says I have a 91 performance tune.

I haven't found a flat place to really test. It seems from 8-60 mph I am 1/2 sec faster (actually .56), and from 8 to 80 a sec faster (actually 1.04).

My Edge has the Ford 21 Sport rims. Also it is a 2017, and Torrie used the HP Tuner, where I would do many 0-60 and 0-80 WoT and send him the logs and then he would make changes.

I am using the HP Tuner software for logging the times, I assume that is pretty accurate?

how does that look?

Sounds good to me! If you can head to a track that would be very accurate also to compare times.

Updated thread with Unleashed 1/4 mile times also.

Sounds good to me! If you can head to a track that would be very accurate also to compare times.

Updated thread with Unleashed 1/4 mile times also.

Are you getting better results with Unleashed than LMS in 0-60, 1/4 mile times and shifts or both are close to each other?