Replaced Rear Vision Camera - 2012 Edge Sport

My camera started flaking out about a month ago. I lost the parking aids for good and the camera would intermittently display an upside-down image or the "Camera is unavailable. Please contact your dealership." message. Then my brake booster started leaking so I decided to get a quote from the dealer for the camera replacement while they had it for the booster replacement. They wanted over $500 for the camera replacement. I chose not to have them replace the camera because I had checked ALLDATA beforehand to get an idea of what labor and parts were involved and $550 was too high, IMO. So I decided to do it myself. I followed the shop manual instructions which has you do the following:

1. Remove the rear liftgate applique: This is accomplished by first removing the rear liftgate trim panel. There are 4 screws that have to come out in the interior "handles." Once those 4 screws are out you have to use some elbow grease to pop the panel off as it is held in by plastic clips. Not one of my clips broke, thankfully. There are 5 (maybe 6?) bolts that have to come off from the inside of the liftgate and two plastic "snaps" on opposite ends. I used needle nose pliers to pinch the ends of the "snaps" so that I wouldn't break them. The applique came off easily.

2. Remove the rear nameplate and discard. It's held in place using a thin, double-sided foam tape. I actually removed the nameplate first. Not sure if it would have been easier removing it with the applique detached from the liftgate. I used a plastic key card and flat screwdriver to carefully remove the nameplate. It came off with no issues or damage to the paint.

3. Drill a one-quarter inch hole in the applique so that you can access the head of the T20 screw holding the camera bracket in place:

post-39442-0-51925300-1472269999_thumb.jpg

I had to make the hole bigger because my T20 screwdriver needed more than a 1/4" opening. I drilled the hole before removing the applique, as I figured it would be easier to drill it while still attached to the liftgate. Loosen the camera bracket screw.

4. Remove the camera bracket and the old camera.

5. Install the new camera and snap the bracket back into place and tighten the camera bracket screw through the new hole.

6. Snap and screw the rear liftgate applique back into place and re-attach the trim panel. Attach the replacement nameplate (the manual suggests you cover the drilled hole with mylar tape before applying the nameplate).

7. Use a scan tool to recalibrate the rear camera (this will bring the parking aids back). I purchased a MOACC ELM327 Wi-Fi OBDII Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner and used FORScan version 2.3.3 beta for Windows on a Windows 10 laptop to recalibrate the camera system. Many thanks to member wlepse for posting the screen grabs from FORScan! Result!

Ford parts that I ordered:

BT4Z-19G490-B REAR CAMERA $106

AT4Z-9942528-A NAMEPLATE $ 24

Edited by Kissel
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did it without needing the AT4Z-9942528-A NAMEPLATE $ 24

But I've got guitar playing, agile fingers. LOL A little work and the camera holder thingee gets around the nameplate clip. If I remember right I pried the big pieces apart some to make room, but gently. Saved that $24.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17508-reverse-cam-woes/page-4 #69

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Incredible! There isn't one available under about $325. or so. I think The peeps posting here on how to fix/replace the camera has either A. Caused a shortage. People now buying the supply and not enough around. B. Caused Ford to raise prices because there aren't enough 'Can you please replace my camera for $5- 900 Dollars'. A shortage is one thing ..the latter a major gouge!

It also reflects what I suspect and that the cameras are inherently defective. They are not sealed properly and that is what is causing a good part or most of the problems. Ford needs to own up to it and reimburse camera failures for being defective.

• 3 weeks later...

My backup camera on my 2011 Edge hasn't been working for a while and I had seen that they were around $100 late last year or earlier this year should have bought one. How they jumped to $300 or more now is amazing although I think that is in line with other car brands. I have some routine maintenance coming up at a Ford dealer and will get an installation quote. If it was my wife's car I would get it fixed for safety reasons but for me, depending on cost, I will probably leave it broke permanently.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Once you connect the camera should it work (meaning if you put it in reverse you can see out of the camera) without doing the recalibration step? I know the recalibration will add back the parking aid lines but should the camera work without it? I bought a new camera off amazon but when we connect it we are still getting "Camera is unavailable. Contact your dealer". I haven't bought a scanner yet so I am not sure if the camera I bought is bad or if I need to recalibrate to get it to work.

Thanks!