Well ain't that a pickle?

mjonis

Rats none of the Ford dealers have what I want. The best they can do is order from Arizona and sell it to me at MSRP. The best deal I got was $40k with trade in which is basically $4500 for trade in and a little less. Poop. That's like almost $83.5k more than the Hyundai. My only option is to take a color I'm not thrilled with and 20" tires. I wonder how easy it is to switch the tires out?

Edited by mjonis

AZ is far to go for a dealer trade. The Edge is made very close to you in Canada. You could do a custom order from the factory if you can wait 6 or so weeks. The financing offer may or may not still be there although the auto industry is appearing to head into a recession.

Yeah, they said they could still factory order, but it would only be $600 cheaper.

Well unfortunately the only dealer WITH what I wanted (and it's been on the dealer's website for quite some time) doesn't do "sticker games". It's MSRP minus whatever factory rebates there are.

Yeah, they said they could still factory order, but it would only be $600 cheaper.

Well unfortunately the only dealer WITH what I wanted (and it's been on the dealer's website for quite some time) doesn't do "sticker games". It's MSRP minus whatever factory rebates there are.

Those are the dealers you stay away. Those are the dealers that make all the good Ford dealers like the one I buy all my cars from unfairly look bad. It must be a New York thing because I was on a Subaru forum where a lot of them played that same game. When custom ordering a non limited production car, you should never pay more than invoice at most. I am sad, but glad that you at least rewarded a dealer that appreciates the privilidge of having customers interested in their product. If you would not have minded flying in and driving 9 hours back home, the dealer I exclusively buy from would have made it worth your while if you tell them I sent you.

• Like 1

Those are the dealers you stay away. Those are the dealers that make all the good Ford dealers like the one I buy all my cars from unfairly look bad. It must be a New York thing because I was on a Subaru forum where a lot of them played that same game. When custom ordering a non limited production car, you should never pay more than invoice at most. I am sad, but glad that you at least rewarded a dealer that appreciates the privilidge of having customers interested in their product. If you would not have minded flying in and driving 9 hours back home, the dealer I exclusively buy from would have made it worth your while if you tell them I sent you.

Thanks! Maybe in a few years I might change my mind or something. Shoot me a PM with the dealer name.

Ironically the two dealers (not the "we dont' play sticker games" one) called me back to see what decision I'd made.

Dealer #1 (Latham Ford):

I said, the best offer you gave me was like $41,635 WITH trade-in and I'd still have to spend $2,000 for the warranty, remote start, and parts to fix the seat backs. That's almost $14,000 more than my offer from Hyundai. (both offers didn't include tax, title, registration)

"yeah, but it's not apples to apples".

Me: You're right. The Ford is nicer, but not $14.5k nicer, IMO.

I told them Orange Motors offer was $39,500 with trade-in but still the $2,000 more so total was like $41,500. I said that was the best offer I received.

Dealer #2 - Orange Motors

The guy really did try somewhat. Best price offer with a Factory Order and 10 week wait time (plus no guarantee they'd have the 0% for 72 months) was $39,500 plus the $2,000. So $41,500. Only $11,500 more than the Hyundai.

Oh well, lessons learned. If you want top trim, and nobody stocks it, expect to pay MSRP and then they'll do the tradein.

I even told both dealers I would've gone up to $35,500 (maybe $36k) with everything (if they had included the warranty and the smart phone remote start parts, I would've done the deal).

But enjoying my new car now. I did tell dealer #2 if a used one shows up in the lot in 3 years (unlikely) to give me a ring.

I placed a factory order for an Edge Titanium on August 16 at $850 under dealer invoice. Was going to go with a Costco-affiliated dealer at $600 under dealer invoice, then this salesman from my local dealer calls and gives me his pitch. I got him down another $250 with all rebates and incentives in effect at delivery to be to further reduce the my price.

• Like 1

I know you are happy with your deal, but have you ever seen what a dealer actually pays for a car. Huge difference between dealer invoice and what they pay for the car. They have a lot of room to deal in-between.

If you can get a dealer to show you the actual A-Z plan price and you can bring them down under that....then you really did get a good deal.

Edited by Hermans

I placed a factory order for an Edge Titanium on August 16 at $850 under dealer invoice. Was going to go with a Costco-affiliated dealer at $600 under dealer invoice, then this salesman from my local dealer calls and gives me his pitch. I got him down another $250 with all rebates and incentives in effect at delivery to be to further reduce the my price.

Just know that your dealer cannot promise any factory rebates, so make sure they have it in writing. When it comes to incentives, Ford gives you what is currently available at the time of delivery. With the automotive market slowing, I do not see that changing but just be aware of that.

The dealer has hold back, but there is not a whole lot else unless there are dealer cash incentives which the dealer may or may not choose to share with you.

Just know that your dealer cannot promise any factory rebates, so make sure they have it in writing. When it comes to incentives, Ford gives you what is currently available at the time of delivery. With the automotive market slowing, I do not see that changing but just be aware of that.

The dealer has hold back, but there is not a whole lot else unless there are dealer cash incentives which the dealer may or may not choose to share with you.

There is something called the incentive protection program that gives you the option of the incentives at order time or at delivery. It's always available in Canada but only seems to be available at some US dealers. But it is possible.

There is something called the incentive protection program that gives you the option of the incentives at order time or at delivery. It's always available in Canada but only seems to be available at some US dealers. But it is possible.

My understanding has been that only Lincoln dealers can do that here in the US. Do you know if it's availability is regional?

The dealer also has the ability to lock in incentives at the time of ordering. If the incentives are better at the time of delivery... you get the better one. The dealer can find the incentives by looking them up in the Vincent program. Always ask to see a copy of the Vincent printout.