weatherstripping & rubber seals protectant

Ginger Smith

noticed on my 2008 sabel that the rubber seals around the door are dried out and starting to deteriorate. After seeing all the weatherstripping on my 2016 Edge i sure don't want that to happen. Any recommendations for preserving them?

I like the Aerospace 303 products so I picked up some of their seal protector. It has helped soften up the seals on the 8 year old Sabel. Comes with its own applicator much like a bottle of shoe polish.

The seals on the Edge are many and massive. Really didn't notice until I started applying the 303 protector. Use it every 3 months, here in the Deep South it's hot and lots of sun, we'll see how it works over time. I think all the heavy duty seals help contribute to the quietness of the ride, want to make them last.

seal%20protect%20003_zpsyzo2oifj.jpg

Been using the 303 aerospace protectant on all the black trim, a little goes a long way. Thought it was a little pricey when I bought it but it doesn't take much. I use a 3" fine red polishing pad, fold it in half and just spray a little on the point of the fold. One spray can do the entire back bumper or the panels below the doors. Dirt sprays right off with a spray of water and it gives it a nice flat matte black appearance.

Used it on the black plastic cowling below the windshield on the Sabel, it was faded with that whitish gray appearance, a few coats over a period of a few weeks brought it back to life. I drive that car to work everyday, it has sat in full sun it's entire life except here at the house.

Edited by Ginger Smith
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting - I have not seen the 303 Rubber Seal Protectant before. I will check it out.

I have been using Honda Shin-Etsu Grease for the last 10+ years. You sometimes can get it from a dealer, but there are some Honda dealers on-line that sell it, and that is where I have been getting it. You have to apply the Shin-Etsu Grease very sparingly, and it does get on the matting surface, but that would happen with anything you put on the seals. A tube lasts me a long time - in fact I typically give my tube to a family member or friend before I use half of it, as they want to use it as well.

We are new to the Ford Edge, and I will check out the 303 product.

Thanks - Doug

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Bud_d and enigma-2. I had never heard of either but the Nextzett products are interesting.

Confused on silicone. Seems like some products tout that they are silicone free, I've read that silicone is a great water repellent but has a detrimental effect over time on seals when exposed to the sun. Anyone know if it is good or bad?

Where I work we use silicone grease on rubber encapsulated electrical connectors rated for direct burial. It repels and prevents water from getting to the electrical connection. But it is inside the part and gets buried so it is never exposed to UV rays.

Confused on silicone. Seems like some products tout that they are silicone free, I've read that silicone is a great water repellent but has a detrimental effect over time on seals when exposed to the sun. Anyone know if it is good or bad?

Where I work we use silicone grease on rubber encapsulated electrical connectors rated for direct burial. It repels and prevents water from getting to the electrical connection. But it is inside the part and gets buried so it is never exposed to UV rays.

Silicone spray is safe for rubber weatherstripping. But some of the solvents used in the aerosol contain petroleum disulates and will cause the exterior parts of the rubber to react with sunlight (uv). Also, silicone attracts dust and dirt. If you use spray silicone, spray it on a rag first and then wipe it on the weatherstripping. I've read that one way to tell about silicone is to spray some one a Styrofoam cup and see if there's any reaction.

Dielectric grease is better, squeeze some between your fingers and wipe a thin film on the rubber.

303 is a better step up from silicone, but costs more. A light film is better than a heavy film.

In all cases, clean and dry the weatherstripping before applying the protection.

Personally I use Chemical Guys Silk Shine Dressing, has UVA and UVB protection, does not attract dirt or dust. (Same stuff I use on my Weathertech floor mats).

• Like 2