2010 Ford edge brakes and suspension

Brakes are finally hitting the squeakers at 170k miles. This car has only had 1 front strut replaced since it was new. Otherwise it's all original.

What should I replace as preventive maintenance? I was planning rotors, pads, and front strut bearings.

My other parts in question are wheel bearings/hubs. Do the rear brakes have those dampers? Do I just get rid of them, if so what bolt size? Should I replace calipers or just relube the pins and keep using the originals?

Thanks for any help!

First> I always replace struts in pairs with new strut bearing mounts. I go with KYB struts or you can go with OEM motor craft. DO NOT USE MONROES!!. Also I chose motorcraft strut bearing mounts.

Rear shocks I would go with KYB or OEM also. Rears definitely need to be changed as they will affect alignment. You have aligned it by now right?

You can retrofit low frequency brake dampers on the rears with a pin kit and dampers. Does quiet down the brake noise.

I would recommend a Autozone Duralast Gold high carbon rotor with the Duralast CMAX ceramic pads. Most likely the last rotors and pads you will ever put on the Edge. Plus quiet and no dust.

Unless the calipers rubber boots are bad or cracked I would not worry about it, But if you want to you have two options buy a rebuild kit or buy new or refurbished calipers. I never had brake caliper issues with my 2008 and it ran 285K miles.

My last inspection of my 2011 the pins were doing fine at 155K miles so it would be your choice clean relube and install IMO

I recommend the CRC or other equivalent type CERAMIC brake grease. High Temp and works great.

• Like 1

The strut mount broke at 20k miles and the whole strut was replaced on that side under warranty.

Never been aligned, tires only last 80-90k per set. Honestly never saw a wear issue that needed addressed.

Hubs feel tight.

I don't feel a need to have vibration dampers. Only makes noise in reverse.

I typically use Raybestos brake parts.

So I need to get rear shocks and a 4 wheel alignment? Front struts are fine and just need new bearing mount assemblies?

Just wait until hub bearings fail to replace them?

Struts and shocks do not last 170K miles. Once you put on new ones the alignment may be off if it is not already. Besides if you put on new strut bearings you have to remove the struts anyway. You will feel the difference. You just do not know it.

Bearings. Wait until failure. That is what I do.

You are pretty easy on tires. What brand/model you running to get 80-90K out of tires?

As far as brakes for me. 175K for the fronts and 225K for the rears more or less.

How's the fluid maintenance?

50-60 k for transmisison

50-60k for power steering

100K for coolant

50-60 K for brake fluid

You have obviously change the spark plugs at least once, but appears you will be due in about 10K

• Like 1