K&N drop in filter

gjb89

I am like a broken record, but I recommend avoiding oiled filters like this. Do a search as there are plenty of tests which show that K$N's are not what people think. When clean, they have much lower filtering efficiency which means you let not just more dirt into the engine, but also bigger sized particles. Tests also show that flow resistance goes up drastically as the filter becomes dirty.

• Like 1

I am like a broken record, but I recommend avoiding oiled filters like this. Do a search as there are plenty of tests which show that K$N's are not what people think. When clean, they have much lower filtering efficiency which means you let not just more dirt into the engine, but also bigger sized particles. Tests also show that flow resistance goes up drastically as the filter becomes dirty.

Thank you for the info :thumbsup:

Anyone using this? Do you get the suction sound like you do with a CAI?

Hi, I put the drop-in K&N in my Edge and find it brings a vast improvement in shifting and acceleration. it shifts smoother and with less jolt, and gives it a bit more juice. it does give the suction sound you speak of at full throttle, but it is minimal compared to a conical-style intake. at the rate i change my oil, i doesn't bother me too much if a bit of extra dirt gets through. for $50 it is a marked improvement IMO.

• Like 1

Hi, I put the drop-in K&N in my Edge and find it brings a vast improvement in shifting and acceleration. it shifts smoother and with less jolt, and gives it a bit more juice. it does give the suction sound you speak of at full throttle, but it is minimal compared to a conical-style intake. at the rate i change my oil, i doesn't bother me too much if a bit of extra dirt gets through. for $50 it is a marked improvement IMO.

Changing your oil won't stop the dirt from sandblasting the turbos. Sandblasted turbos will eventually fail no matter what you do with your oil.

It's called the placebo effect......

Exactly. K&N is nothing but snake oil with their lofty claims 30+hp and 3 mpg gains. We live in the era of cafe. If these oiled filters really offered those gains without negatively impacting the Powertrain, Ford would have been using them. Lots of tests on the Internet and especially one that the Powerstroke guys did show the truth about just how bad filtering efficiency can be. The only application where these filters have valid use is off-road crossing deep streams as the oil lowers the risk of sucking water in.

Changing your oil won't stop the dirt from sandblasting the turbos. Sandblasted turbos will eventually fail no matter what you do with your oil.

You beat me to it. People do not understand the insane tolerances in the turbos as they really are as tight as jet engines. It just is not worth it to get an extra 2-5hp.

• Like 1