2009 Edge with Power Train, ABS, and TC Lights

My wife drives our 2009 Edge SEL AWD with the 3.5L V6. It has 115,695 miles on it.

We had it in for a diagnosis due to a stuttering issue which has been resolved. Other things noted though were a right outer tie rod and 4 wheel alignment. The light was coming on before the work was performed and we were hopeful that the work would solve this, but here I am.

When turning to the left and putting pressure on the passenger side front wheel the ABS, Service Power Train, and the Traction Control lights come on and stay on.

Ive read that this is caused by a wheel speed sensor or ABS speed sensor. Im pretty sure we can narrow it down to the right side sensor as the dash lights only come on when turning that direction. It seems to be intermittent making me believe it is not a tone ring issue on the axle. Which sensor is the correct sensor to replace? I have to have the local car part store order it as they do not have any in stock and dont want to order the wrong part.

Edited by whitedragon551

It can definitely be confusing trying to get the right WSS, just look at the list here:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2007,edge,3.5l+v6,1434490,brake/wheel+hub,abs+wheel+speed+sensor,1912

I would clarify with Benny at Levittown Ford Super Center which one you want, ask him here:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/forum/56-levittown-ford-super-center/

I have the same vehicle (year, etc.) you have. I would not exclude the tone ring. I have replaced two rings and one sensor (all different wheels). Both of my rings had cracks. When you would turn or go fast (80+), the crack would separate and lights go on. Slow down and drive a bit, lights go off.

Note, my first tone ring was suspected to be a sensor like yours. They replaced that and I still had the exact same problem. They replaced the ring and noticed it had a hairline crack that would flex going fast.

My second tone ring would activate all the same warning lights when braking under certain condition. Note, yours is going off when brake and turning (more stress on it).

Good luck with your repair!

• Like 2

If I'm not mistaken your third picture of the tone ring looks like it is broken. If you look at the spacing where the white mark (corrosion) is I think the ring is cracked and the spacing between the teeth is larger. The sensor receives evenly spaced signals from the ring. If it doesn't it detects a fault.

Thats what I was thinking, but was unsure if that was a tone ring.

So my next question is, is it possible the dealer did something to damage it?

The ABS, TC, and Power Train light have never been on on this vehicle aside from starting it up. It went to the dealer to do a full diagnostic. The day I drove it home the ABS, TC, and Power Train light started coming on intermittently and are now on permanently.

The picture above is the passenger side and they did note in their diagnostic that the outer tie rod on that side as well as brakes/rotors need to be replaced.

Edited by whitedragon551

Ditto New axle for you tone ring is cracked! Buy the OEM motorcraft. Pot luck with after market brands.

If I'm not mistaken your third picture of the tone ring looks like it is broken. If you look at the spacing where the white mark (corrosion) is I think the ring is cracked and the spacing between the teeth is larger. The sensor receives evenly spaced signals from the ring. If it doesn't it detects a fault.

• Like 1

So my next question is, is it possible the dealer did something to damage it?

The ABS, TC, and Power Train light have never been on on this vehicle aside from starting it up. It went to the dealer to do a full diagnostic. The day I drove it home the ABS, TC, and Power Train light started coming on intermittently and are now on permanently.

The picture above is the passenger side and they did note in their diagnostic that the outer tie rod on that side as well as brakes/rotors need to be replaced.