Hard shifting after TSS/OSS replacement

Katie Belton

We bought our 2008 MKX about a year ago and very soon after that it began shifting hard mostly between third and fourth gear. It would also shimmy when going up hills almost like it couldn't decide on a gear. Then about a month ago I got the wrench warning light. I asked about it on this forum and on Facebook and found out it was most likely the TSS and OSS sensors. I replaced both sensors this past weekend and the shimmying when going up hills seems to be gone. The problem is that the hard shifting is still there.

I have read about these issues with Edges and MKXs from a lot of different people but I haven't actually heard about anyone who solved the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? This is really starting to bother me. Based on what I've read this seems to be a design flaw with these cars.

Possibly you need to update the software for the Powertrain Control Module and the Transmission Control Module. You should do this before any damage to the transmission occurs.

Whether it is possible to make it independently through ForScan? Whether it is necessary to update insertions if there are no obvious problems, for example the nomy insertion optimizes something?

• 2 months later...

I just replaced my TSS and OSS sensors as well. Mine shifted hard for a couple hours until it relearned the shift patterns. Did you reset your PCM by shorting the battery leads together while they are disconnected from the battery? This drains out the electricity stored in the capacitors and resets the computer. Then you drive very conservatively for a day or two until it relearns the shift patterns.