Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

Rust on 2014 Ford Edge

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   IWRBB

IWRBB

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 175 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2010

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

Electronic rust protection is BS.  It would work fine if you had a path to ground.  However, given that cars sit on rubber tires- all they do is separate you from your money.  If they worked, everyone would have them.  For the record, cathodic protection obviously does work- but those add on anti-rust boxes for your car DO NOT.    7 years is still a bit young for most Fords to show rust on the body panels themselves.  You might see bubbles at the door seams though.  I can guarantee there's all kinds of rust on your subframe, suspension parts, brakes, engine/suspension nuts and bolts, exhaust parts, heat shields, etc.. 

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Member
  • 1,882 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

I agree for most of the current tenders I've seen, the jury is out on this system.
As I stated, it only protects galvanized sheet metal parts, so seeing corrosion on bare steel parts is no surprise.

For a car in a heavy salt slurry area, I yet to see any rust on the belly or anywhere else. So for now I'm still thinking that it might be doing something.

The principal of operation is patented. The man that discovered it noticed an old galvanized steel storage tank completely untouched fy rust (while others in the area were.)
Being an engineer, he investigated and found the one which was not rusted was being protected by a local radio tower which was inducing currents in the steel. He found that when galvanizing finally breaks down, the zinc will naturally sacrifice itself and slow down the corrosion process. However moisture in the air reacts with the zinc and cause zinc to form zinc oxide. Zinc oxide tends to block zinc from forming across the break and will allow corrosion to form on the unprotected steel. The module generated a pulse to create a radio frequency current in the metal which is supposed to neutralize the oxide from forming. So far (seven years) I'm pleased with the result; but time will tell.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#23 OFFLINE   David Young

David Young

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 31 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Edge's Year:2014

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:13 AM

When i was a child in the 1960's we could always tell when we saw a 2 or 3 years old car with rust holes in the body, we knew that car was from Ohio or Michigan :)

That is a lot of rust for a 2014 :(

#24 OFFLINE   Liptoss

Liptoss

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:49 PM

Been looking at many other 2013 units being driven in the same areas as myself. NOPE none of them have any issue of bubbling paint along the rear door seams or along the back lid lower seam.

Cheap crap that's all. I'll chalk this one up. JUST LIKE THE CRAPPY FOCUS rocker panels of years gone by.

I'll deal with it, it's ok. I'll keep it in the back of my mind for my next purchase of a vehicle though.

#25 OFFLINE   IWRBB

IWRBB

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:22 AM

Never had it last for months, a week & a few days yes. Depends on how much you drive i guess.

Depends on how much was used, and in what locations.  If you spray it inside your doors and the lower seam, you'll smell it for a good long while, especially in the summer.  

#26 OFFLINE   IWRBB

IWRBB

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

Been looking at many other 2013 units being driven in the same areas as myself. NOPE none of them have any issue of bubbling paint along the rear door seams or along the back lid lower seam.

Cheap crap that's all. I'll chalk this one up. JUST LIKE THE CRAPPY FOCUS rocker panels of years gone by.

I'll deal with it, it's ok. I'll keep it in the back of my mind for my next purchase of a vehicle though.

That is odd.  I just had our 2010 rear gate interior trim off to install a backup camera, and I took a good look at the lower seam from inside the gate, and it looked perfect.  It's on it's 7th winter and has lived it's life in OH, KY, and PA.

Edited by IWRBB, 13 January 2017 - 09:26 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   Liptoss

Liptoss

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

Yup, just cheap production lines

#28 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Member
  • 1,882 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

That is odd.  I just had our 2010 rear gate interior trim off to install a backup camera,

I'll be installing one in my 09 this year. Was it difficult to remove the hatch inside cover?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users