4 Wheel Alignment

Beezz

I'm booking my 3rd 4-wheel alignment since June. 1st one was at 10000 km's 2nd one at 13000 km's and now this one at 21000 km's. The techs who have worked on my car don't know wtf they are doing. Both times I didn't get a printout of what the before and after angles were (apparently the printer on their multi-thousand dollar machine wasn't working). The tires were so far out of alignment from the factory that the 1st time I didn't get charged (abnormal tire wear and car pulled to the left) . The second time was because the car continued to pull heavily to the left. And now after a 1500 km road trip the front tires are abnormally worn, and the car was a pain to keep straight on the highway.

I have to get this alignment done properly since I am switching to a set of winter tire's and rims I really dont want the tires to get worn in badly. Hopefully its done correctly this time, I'm not looking forward to wasting another 3 hours at the dealership.

And for those wondering, no I haven't run over any nasty potholes between any of the alignments.

For years our local Ford/Lincoln dealer sent all the alignment service diwn the street to a lcoal professional alignment shop. They finally invested bookoo bucks in a top of the line alignment machine and now do their own. Agree with burrcold, dealer had his chance, go with a local professional. One that has "alignment" in their name.

• Like 1

I am having the same issue with my 2015 SEL AWD. It has pulled slightly to the left since day one. It has been aligned by the dealership three times, with each time them feeding me a line of crap. I did get the print outs from them and while the specs were in the green, some were at extremes. The last time I drove the tech and showed him the pull. They ordered and installed a camber kit, but told me the tech didn't think anything was wrong. I had to ask, why they installed the kit then?

The final time the manager said everything was in the green and there was nothing more they could do. After complaining to the dept head, I was told to take it to another dealer or to an outside vendor that "they" use. I told them that one of the reasons I bought the vehicle there was because it was very convenient to my home. So now I have to do the legwork to go somewhere else.

• 1 month later...

I would go to an independent shop and see if they can spot the problem. It could be suspension, steering, tires, etc. Do you have electric steering or hydraulic? Electric steering sometimes needs recalibration to fix these types of issues.

Checked out a few places, most said I would have to pay the full alignment cost even if they only checked to see if the angles were out of spec (and didn't adjust anything). L O L.

Its electric assist steering. I have noticed that the steering wheel moves slightly even without input and without changing road surfaces. I am going to ask the dealer to look at the steering system. Thank you for pointing out this angle to the problem.

• 2 months later...

Got the 3rd one done at the dealer, this time even the steering wheel angle was off. Pulls a lot less now, fairly happy with the result. The steering wheel is still slightly crooked when driving straight. Dealer once again didn't give me a copy of the before/ after angles. I had to annoy the service manager to get the 'after' angles.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Subframe alignment sounds expensive, might ask for the control arms to be looked at. And I think the tires aren't directional. The tires were re-balanced this time before the alignment. And I did ask to get the steering modules reprogrammed after the 3rd one, not sure if it was actually done. The tires were rotated, but I'll rotate them again soon since the fronts are still feathering on the outside edges.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have the specification sheet for the proper 4-wheel alignment settings for a 2015 Ford Edge Titanium 3.5V6 AWD with 20" wheels? My dealer messed up my settings with a complimentary alignment (didn't save the old settings, of course) and an independent garage had a go too but the car still feels nervous as if it still has too much negative camber or too much toe-in.

All the best,

Andrew.