2011 Edge Engine swap Done

doldonics

Hey Guys, thanks for all your help. I was planning on doing the swap later on, but I had to move the car from the house where it is parked.

Some notes:

- I ended up purchasing the front eye lift tool (303-1245). Could not have done it without it.

- The removal instructions were pretty good, although in hindsight everything was pretty straightforward.

- You can't use the trans-dapt (engine sling) using the rear eye hook behind the intake manifold. When you raise up the engine, there is not enough clearance under the cowling. So i used the metal bracket next to the passenger side motor mount. However, this lets the engine rock backwards. I removed the shift cable bracket from the transmission, and used a nylon strap on the eye hook on the transmission (attached to the hook on the engine lift) to pull the back of the tranny up.

- I could not get one of the oil cooler lines off the side of the tranny, even with the special tool. So i just unscrewed the 24 mm fitting, it has an O-ring, not sure why this is not done in the first place.

- I was able to get a dolly under the engine which let me slide it out the passenger side.

- The front of the car had to be lifted up quite high. Instead of using the jack stands on the highest position, I used wood boards underneath for stability.

- You have to strap the front of the subframe up to the front eye-lift tool when you drop the engine down. The rear is attached with the motor mount, the front is not attached at all.

- Once the subframe/engine assembly was on the ground, taking out the CV joints made it easier to move the engine and tranny off the subframe.

- I marked the steering wheel coupling to the rack before I removed it, that was a good move because the rack moved when I was messing around with removing the CV joints.

- Took about 20 hours, I had to swap accessories off old engine to newer one.

- The torque converter bolts are grade 10.9, so they are not stretch bolts. I just used more blue loctite on them.

Pictures attached.

post-42735-0-33158600-1475600647_thumb.jpg

post-42735-0-06792800-1475600652_thumb.jpg

post-42735-0-31708900-1475600656_thumb.jpg

post-42735-0-42028900-1475600661_thumb.jpg

Thanks, George

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

It can be accomplished both ways. More of a preference as to which will work better for your situation. Dropping the frame requires more lift height of the vehicle where coming from the top the Edge would be on the ground. Your preference and setup etc. will be the determining factor.

• 2 years later...

What an f'ing nightmare. My Edge wp is good, but if it ever shts the bed and destroys the engine I'll just call the junkyard, get it towed and not replace it with a vehicle that uses this timing chain driven wp 3.5l engine. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Edited by erikrichard

• 4 years later...