SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

UPDATED – 4/27/17

TO MY KNOWLEDGE FORD HAS RELEASED VERSION 2.2 TO ALL FORD VEHICLES. PLEASE CHECK THE FORD OWNER SITE FOR YOUR UPDATE (http://owner.ford.com/) , LET IT UPDATE VIA WIFI OR VISIT YOUR DEALER.

I wanted to get something written up for those 16+ SYNC3 owners to have some quick reference to. In regards to CarPlay and Android Auto…YOU MUST HAVE YOUR PHONE CONNECTED VIA USB.

SYNC 3 Version Releases

Version 1.0 - Initial Release Version - Does not contain Android Auto/CarPlay

Version 1.1 – Early update for Version 1.0 to correct minor bug issues

Version 2.0 - Only available on late build models of the 2016s (roughly July 2016). Version 2.0 is the first build to contain Android Auto and CarPlay. This is also standard on early build 2017 models. Please note if you have a 2016 model you will need a new CarPlay compliant USB hub to utilize CarPlay. No way around it.

Version 2.2 build 16280 – This was initially released as an update for some 2016 Lincoln models in Dec. 2016. In Feb. 2017 I noticed that most Fords/Lincolns were being shipped from the factory with 2.2 in them. Version 2.2 does contain CarPlay/Android Auto. This has been referred to as hacked, leaked, etc. This is a legitimate release. It just wasn’t released for all models.

Version 2.2 build 17011 – This is the widely released update for SYNC3 (as of late April 2017). This is what will be available for your vehicle via the owner site/WIFI update/Dealer update if your vehicle qualifies for it. THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE INSTALLING.

You are able to check your version by going into the General icon and then ABOUT menu item. The version is listed at the top and not to be confused with gracenote or navigation version. If installing by USB it seems SYNC3 is very picky with what type of USB flash drive is used. It is hit or miss as to if the system will like your USB flash drive. My suggestion is if the installation fails do a master reset and use a different USB flash drive. REMEMBER FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE OWNER SITE FOR USB INSTALLATION.

If further information pertaining to this topic is received I will attempt to update this original thread. I would like to ask that opinions about Apple versus Android be kept out of this and the keep the topic on task.

LIST OF CONFIRMED CARPLAY COMPLIANT USB HUBS THAT FIT 2016 EDGE:

GJ7Z-19A387-B (WHITE BACKLIGHTING) via JMR061

HC3Z-19A387-B (BLUE BACKLIGHTING) via KOMANDREW.

Should you have V2.2 build 16280 installed and you feel it necessary to upgrade to V2.2 build 17011 get your hands on either the nav or non nav build 17011 update. Change the AUTOINSTALL File so it looks like the following. You can open it and modify it in NOTEPAD.

; Gen 3 - Assembly Update
[sYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HN1T-14G381-SA
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HN1T-14G381-SA.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 8

What does it actually update?

I just installed the update myself last night... Only things listed as changed after the update was:

"Enhanced clarity of French and Spanish navigation instructions."

Personally I'm hoping it will fix the random changes to AM radio when playing from a BT device I've been experiencing.

No it did not mess with my settings.

Edited by gjas24

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Received an email today from Ford. Says Sync with CarPlay will be updated by the end of the year. Price for hardware to be determined by dealer

Dear Thomas Miller,

Thank you for the email.

An update for SYNC 3 is expected to be released by the end of this year. This update will add both CarPlay and Android Auto. In addition to the update, CarPlay will require a hardware upgrade. The cost will be determined by the dealer. More information will be available once it is available. Stay to the Owner site for details: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

In addition to email you may also contact us via the following:

Phone 800-392-3673; options 1,3,1,2.

Live Chat Click on the link in the lifeline section on the SYNC homepage http://www.owner.ford.com

Regards,

Shaay

In-Vehicle Technology

Ford Motor Company

Edited by tpm419419
  • Like 1

Owners are frustrated and Ford is aware of that but yet you feel you need to take it out on some poor internet chat person who has absolutely zero control over the release of it. With this being your only post I think the admin here should block you as well. You wasted my time by having me come visit for a useless reply. I really don't care if you want to buy another Ford or not. When the release is out a useful post (probably more than one) will be made on this thread.