SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

Of course a few days after I do it the "unofficial" way - it gets released. Lol

Same install you did is basically what you can download from Ford Site.

I also just upgraded this past Wednesday. I knew once I did it the release would happen. Oh well. Beat them by a few days

You are better off for it!

If I had waited, I would not have been able to enjoy Carplay for the Past 4 Months.

Yes it has been officially released. The only difference over the December release is a slightly different build of the main operating system. It is reported it still contains issues people complained of with the early build release though so who knows what was "fixed" in it. If you wish to update from the early release to the late release get your hands on the download and modify the autoinstall file to look like this:

; Gen 3 - Assembly Update

[sYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HN1T-14G381-SA
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HN1T-14G381-SA.tar.gz
Options = Delay,AutoInstall

This will update only the operating system file.

• Like 2

Yes it has been officially released. The only difference over the December release is a slightly different build of the main operating system. It is reported it still contains issues people complained of with the early build release though so who knows what was "fixed" in it. If you wish to update from the early release to the late release get your hands on the download and modify the autoinstall file to look like this:

[sYNCGen3.0_ALL]

Item1 = HN1T-14G381-SA

Thanks as always Jason!

[sYNCGen3.0_ALL]

Item1 = HN1T-14G381-SA

my sync has been extremely flaky since i installed it. sometimes the phone won't connect by wifi, sometimes android auto won't show when i plug it in via usb. my contacts don't show properly and so many more things i can't even remember. it seems to work fine for a couple of weeks and then it just goes schizo.

i'd like to download this latest build and re-install the whole thing, not just the OS part. is there a relatively straight-forward way to do this? i don't see the download files on the ford website since it shows that i'm already up to date.

The Edge doesn't have wireless service, so i don't know how your phone can't connect to the wireless from the edge. The Edge can RECEIVE a wireless signal from your modem/router, but can't provide one. Unless you pay extra for a 3rd party service.

Everything you're describing, sounds more like phone issues than Sync issues

Edited by lildisco

my sync has been extremely flaky since i installed it. sometimes the phone won't connect by wifi, sometimes android auto won't show when i plug it in via usb. my contacts don't show properly and so many more things i can't even remember. it seems to work fine for a couple of weeks and then it just goes schizo.

i'd like to download this latest build and re-install the whole thing, not just the OS part. is there a relatively straight-forward way to do this? i don't see the download files on the ford website since it shows that i'm already up to date.

I had the same deal...wanted to download it just cause, but since I am up to date, there does not appear to be a download.

FYI, the OS part is the key part...but the difference is a few letters in the OS version. It would be like 10.0 and 10.01. So very minor. They might have just made the change just to designate between pre and full release, and not actually have any functional change. Hence why the owners site sees us as current.

You could do a master reset on your Sync, and make sure you are up to date on your phone. Have any 3rd party power managers or Bluetooth apps running? How old is your phone? Brand and model?

I would suspect the phone before sync 3 unless it's doing the same thing on 2 different phones. Try doing a hard reboot on the phone and make sure you have the latest OS update.

What he said.

The Edge doesn't have wireless service, so i don't know how your phone can't connect to the wireless from the edge. The Edge can RECEIVE a wireless signal from your modem/router, but can't provide one. Unless you pay extra for a 3rd party service.

Everything you're describing, sounds more like phone issues than Sync issues

I think he means Bluetooth. Dealing with users like I do on a daily basis, you learn to translate...that would be my translation.

You could do a master reset on your Sync, and make sure you are up to date on your phone. Have any 3rd party power managers or Bluetooth apps running? How old is your phone? Brand and model?

I've done a master reset on the Sync at least 3 times, maybe 4.

i have no power managers or bluetooth apps. very minimalist.

it's a pixel xl so only a few months old. right up to date with 7.1.1

it's not a huge deal. just a hassle. it works most of the time. but of course it doesn't work when i need it to most.

thanks for the thoughts though.

[edit] i noticed that i wrote phone doesn't connect by wifi, i meant bluetooth. oops!

Edited by ben senise
  • Like 1

I've done a master reset on the Sync at least 3 times, maybe 4.

i have no power managers or bluetooth apps. very minimalist.

it's a pixel xl so only a few months old. right up to date with 7.1.1

it's not a huge deal. just a hassle. it works most of the time. but of course it doesn't work when i need it to most.

thanks for the thoughts though.

[edit] i noticed that i wrote phone doesn't connect by wifi, i meant bluetooth. oops!

All good, we figured the BT part. Make sure you have a backup of your phone, and Master reset it. Restore, and reconnect to the car. Curious if anybody else on here has the same phone at the same OS level.

All good, we figured the BT part. Make sure you have a backup of your phone, and Master reset it. Restore, and reconnect to the car. Curious if anybody else on here has the same phone at the same OS level.

thanks for the suggestion Ray but a reset on the phone is just too painful. i always get the sync and phone working but it just takes a bit of work. i can't remember exactly what i do in each situation since it's almost always different and i just keep trying things until it works, or sometimes not and next time i start the car it does.

one thing i forgot to mention about the different modes of failure is really bizarre. sometimes when the phone won't connect, i see that BT is off on Sync and I cannot turn it back on. I go to settings/bluetooth and the little on/off slider is in the off position and it won't go to the on position. just to show you that it's a bit strange.

thanks for the suggestion Ray but a reset on the phone is just too painful. i always get the sync and phone working but it just takes a bit of work. i can't remember exactly what i do in each situation since it's almost always different and i just keep trying things until it works, or sometimes not and next time i start the car it does.

one thing i forgot to mention about the different modes of failure is really bizarre. sometimes when the phone won't connect, i see that BT is off on Sync and I cannot turn it back on. I go to settings/bluetooth and the little on/off slider is in the off position and it won't go to the on position. just to show you that it's a bit strange.

Ben, Head over to this thread:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22450-android-auto-only-works-for-about-2-secs-when-plugs-in/

Looks like others are having similar issues, lets see if we can gather some data, and figure out the issue.

Ben, Head over to this thread:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22450-android-auto-only-works-for-about-2-secs-when-plugs-in/

Looks like others are having similar issues, lets see if we can gather some data, and figure out the issue.

i don't think my symptoms are similar to the OP's on that thread. Although I do think I have had a similar problem a while back.

I'm familiar with processes to isolate problems like this but i haven't dedicated the time to documenting the exact circumstances of each time i have the problem and how i eventually get it to work. it all just seems so random.

UPDATED – 4/27/17

TO MY KNOWLEDGE FORD HAS RELEASED VERSION 2.2 TO ALL FORD VEHICLES. PLEASE CHECK THE FORD OWNER SITE FOR YOUR UPDATE (http://owner.ford.com/) , LET IT UPDATE VIA WIFI OR VISIT YOUR DEALER.

I wanted to get something written up for those 16+ SYNC3 owners to have some quick reference to. In regards to CarPlay and Android Auto…YOU MUST HAVE YOUR PHONE CONNECTED VIA USB.

SYNC 3 Version Releases

Version 1.0 - Initial Release Version - Does not contain Android Auto/CarPlay

Version 1.1 – Early update for Version 1.0 to correct minor bug issues

Version 2.0 - Only available on late build models of the 2016s (roughly July 2016). Version 2.0 is the first build to contain Android Auto and CarPlay. This is also standard on early build 2017 models. Please note if you have a 2016 model you will need a new CarPlay compliant USB hub to utilize CarPlay. No way around it.

Version 2.2 build 16280 – This was initially released as an update for some 2016 Lincoln models in Dec. 2016. In Feb. 2017 I noticed that most Fords/Lincolns were being shipped from the factory with 2.2 in them. Version 2.2 does contain CarPlay/Android Auto. This has been referred to as hacked, leaked, etc. This is a legitimate release. It just wasn’t released for all models.

Version 2.2 build 17011 – This is the widely released update for SYNC3 (as of late April 2017). This is what will be available for your vehicle via the owner site/WIFI update/Dealer update if your vehicle qualifies for it. THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE INSTALLING.

You are able to check your version by going into the General icon and then ABOUT menu item. The version is listed at the top and not to be confused with gracenote or navigation version. If installing by USB it seems SYNC3 is very picky with what type of USB flash drive is used. It is hit or miss as to if the system will like your USB flash drive. My suggestion is if the installation fails do a master reset and use a different USB flash drive. REMEMBER FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE OWNER SITE FOR USB INSTALLATION.

If further information pertaining to this topic is received I will attempt to update this original thread. I would like to ask that opinions about Apple versus Android be kept out of this and the keep the topic on task.

LIST OF CONFIRMED CARPLAY COMPLIANT USB HUBS THAT FIT 2016 EDGE:

GJ7Z-19A387-B (WHITE BACKLIGHTING) via JMR061

HC3Z-19A387-B (BLUE BACKLIGHTING) via KOMANDREW.

Should you have V2.2 build 16280 installed and you feel it necessary to upgrade to V2.2 build 17011 get your hands on either the nav or non nav build 17011 update. Change the AUTOINSTALL File so it looks like the following. You can open it and modify it in NOTEPAD.

[sYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HN1T-14G381-SA
Options = AutoInstall

• Like 2

Good afternoon,

Is anyone else getting system errors when trying to download from owner.ford.com? Tried it at home last night and just now at the office...same error:

"system error This service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later"

Thanks

Tom