SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

Yes that's right, and no need to remove the chrome. As mentioned you may need to remove the plastic that runs around the back of the stereo near that cubby that passes through from the passenger side to the drivers side. You may also need to pull the lower trim panel off that runs from the floor up to the part you marked in your photo. All depends on whether you can get a tool in to pop the tabs down.

Great info. Thanks

The wire connectors are disconnected from the topside? Just pull out the cable or are there clips to press?

Thanks again. Will attempt once the temp warms up

Thanks all for the info. I installed the new hub part #: HC3Z19A387B & software today with no problems. I don't recall seeing this previously in this thread so I just want to add that after the new hub was installed Sync3 1.0 displayed that the USB hub was not supported. However the hub still worked and allowed my USB device to load in the new software. Once the new software was installed the USB hub message didn't come back.

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

Thanks all for the info. I installed the new hub part #: HC3Z19A387B & software today with no problems. I don't recall seeing this previously in this thread so I just want to add that after the new hub was installed Sync3 1.0 displayed that the USB hub was not supported. However the hub still worked and allowed my USB device to load in the new software. Once the new software was installed the USB hub message didn't come back.

Thanks again!!

How did you go about swapping out the hub?

Great info. Thanks

The wire connectors are disconnected from the topside? Just pull out the cable or are there clips to press?

Thanks again. Will attempt once the temp warms up

There is some extra cable as you pull the hub out. There are some little tabs that need to be pressed to remove the plugs from each. There are two cables, one is a Mini-USB style plug that is L-Shaped. The other is the power cord (which I assume powers the hub and the little lights around each plug).

• Like 1

How did you go about swapping out the hub?

Pretty much followed what others have done with leaving the chrome ring on. I popped off the leather strips on either side of the console carefully pulling from the front towards the seats, after that I partially popped off the larger black plastic pieces below where the leather pieces on both sides were just close to the small plastic piece that wraps around the back of the pass through storage so I could pop off that small piece from the bottom. I then rolled the bottom of that piece carefully towards the engine which allowed the top that has 2 plastic tabs that hook the back side of the pass through to unhook. That exposed the back of the USB module. Then from the passengers side I used a small plastic trim tool to press in the top tab of the USB module 1st, pushed the top of the USB module out, then used the same tool to press the bottom tab and it then completely came out. Reverse order to reassemble. All in this took me about 25 minutes from start to finish.

• Like 1

Thanks again!!

Good Info. Pretty sure you are the first I know of that installed the hub before the software update.

Probably a good call to tell people moving forward to install software first to prevent error.

• Like 1

I installed the new hub over the weekend. Like others have written, the best way to get the old hub out is to remove the side leather trim strip, and loosen the little cover behind where the hub fits. I also had to loosen the lower hard-plastic trim in order to get at the tabs on the hub.

I was excited about doing this since carplay is so new. But after trying it for a couple of days, I'm disappointed by the lack of supported apps and overall lack of functionality. No google maps, no waze, Apple Maps is.. 'meh'. I tried Slacker Radio, one of the few carplay compatible streaming music apps, but no clock or outside temps display when the app is active. Also, Slacker doesn't show cover art that I'm used to seeing when playing music from USB or bluetooth. I have a Sandisk 128GB USB flash stick that worked fine with the old hub, but is no longer compatible. It gave me a "this device draws too much power" message - from a 1/2"long usb stick! In its current incarnation, Carplay is very much a 1.0 release. Maybe it will grow on me, but it needs a lot of work.

I installed the new hub over the weekend. Like others have written, the best way to get the old hub out is to remove the side leather trim strip, and loosen the little cover behind where the hub fits. I also had to loosen the lower hard-plastic trim in order to get at the tabs on the hub.

I was excited about doing this since carplay is so new. But after trying it for a couple of days, I'm disappointed by the lack of supported apps and overall lack of functionality. No google maps, no waze, Apple Maps is.. 'meh'. I tried Slacker Radio, one of the few carplay compatible streaming music apps, but no clock or outside temps display when the app is active. Also, Slacker doesn't show cover art that I'm used to seeing when playing music from USB or bluetooth. I have a Sandisk 128GB USB flash stick that worked fine with the old hub, but is no longer compatible. It gave me a "this device draws too much power" message - from a 1/2"long usb stick! In its current incarnation, Carplay is very much a 1.0 release. Maybe it will grow on me, but it needs a lot of work.

The time and temp are to the right of the speedo under the small info screen

But it is definitely more useful for someone without factory Nav. I got it to see if it improves over time

Edited by tpm419419

The Beta 2 of iOS 10.3 has some updates to CarPlay.

• CarPlay status bar has persistent quick access to media, communication, and travel apps for quick switching without accessing the Home screen
  • CarPlay gains quick access to albums from songs in Music, new Up Next screen

Haven't installed it yet...not sure if I will get a chance before it releases to the public. Too many things in the fire right now to possibly goober up my phone.

As far as app support in CarPlay that is the developers. Now the requirements from Apple are tight, and app devs probably don't see the need to get support because of the relatively low amount of cars with support. A LOT of radio station apps work.

The Beta 2 of iOS 10.3 has some updates to CarPlay.

• CarPlay status bar has persistent quick access to media, communication, and travel apps for quick switching without accessing the Home screen
  • CarPlay gains quick access to albums from songs in Music, new Up Next screen
Haven't installed it yet...not sure if I will get a chance before it releases to the public. Too many things in the fire right now to possibly goober up my phone.

As far as app support in CarPlay that is the developers. Now the requirements from Apple are tight, and app devs probably don't see the need to get support because of the relatively low amount of cars with support. A LOT of radio station apps work.

I should be getting the public beta today or tomorrow. Usually a day after the developers get it

• Like 1

Not sure if it's Sync or CarPlay related but... Picked up my Edge after having the brake booster and USB hub replaced. I now have an issue with the left of speedo 4" screen. Under display options there was a choice of 3 or 4 different screens with one being an actual rpm gauge plus fuel and temp. That's gone and only have one option, digital speedo with fuel and vertical tach which was in a separate menu. Any ideas why it's gone? There was an AWD option as well to see where power to wheels were going but that is gone as well

post-1555-0-30737300-1486477184_thumb.jpg

post-1555-0-80249800-1486477204_thumb.jpg

Solved! I was going to just delete it but I will own up to it. In " Display " mode I was going with the side to side arrows NOT the up and down arrows. All is good, I did a quick read of the owners manual to see what I was doing wrong. 4 Edges and 3 with these 4" screens. By my 5th Edge I'll have it down pat

• Like 1

If you install it, definitely interested in what you think...The other devs I know that are running it, don't have CarPlay cars.

I've had the new side bar since installing Beta 1 about a week ago and it definitely makes navigating within Carplay easier. Other than that the beta has been pretty uneventful. I was glad to see the changes though, at least Carplay is still on the radar at Apple and getting some attention. I think I read recently that Carplay is now available on over 200 different models, so hopefully app developers will pay it more attention too.

• Like 2

Question for those using CarPlay in the '16+ Edge (after software/hub update): Do you think the Apple Maps screen looks too washed out -- especially at night? The daytime version isn't too bad, but at night, the whole display looks like it has a film over it, making street names and streets themselves hard to see clearly, especially in comparison to the built in Nav, which is crisp and clear. I've tried various permutations of adjusting the screen brightness up and down, but nothing seems to help much. This seems to be something coming from the Apple side of things, since the vehicle display itself has plenty of contrast. I'm running the latest iOS 10.3 beta, BTW, and have tried adjusting settings in iOS for accessibility, brightness/contrast etc. That has no effect on the vehicle display at all. It's bad enough that I've taken to disabling CarPlay and accessing my music/messages etc. using Sync 3. It's not as elegant as CarPlay, but works most times. Thoughts? Suggestions? TIA.