SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

Some things we learned early in this thread, that have been partially forgot now that the official update is out.

Sync3 seems to do better with the update when you use a USB 2.0 drive vs a USB 3.0 Drive. Also, it does not seem to prefer the large drives. The smallest drive that will still fit the files, the better.

Also, The Non-Navs take longer. They run the update in pieces. Since the Non-Navs have less space to play with on the unit, they cannot load the whole install at once, so it does it in steps.

Make sure your Flash drive is freshly formatted before you copy the files to it.

Thanks for the information. I have a 8gb USB 2.0. My unit is a navi unit. I downloaded the files from Ford Owner website. Since it is only when download file, how can I be certain it is non-Nav vs. Nav update? I will try again and will let you know what happens. Thank you again!

Attempted for the 4th time yesterday, still no luck. It states system updating for 40-45 minutes and then nothing happens. Went out and bought a 32gb Flash Drive, and formatted to exFAT, as per Ford website. Any suggestion as to what I am doing wrong? Here are the files the I downloaded from Ford website:

GB5T-14G386-AA.tar.gz

HB5T-14G386-TCB.tar.gz

HN1T-14G381-SA.tar.gz

HN1T-14G391-CC.tar.gz

HN1T-14G423-CA.tar.gz

Attempted for the 4th time yesterday, still no luck. It states system updating for 40-45 minutes and then nothing happens. Went out and bought a 32gb Flash Drive, and formatted to exFAT, as per Ford website. Any suggestion as to what I am doing wrong? Here are the files the I downloaded from Ford website:

GB5T-14G386-AA.tar.gz

HB5T-14G386-TCB.tar.gz

HN1T-14G381-SA.tar.gz

HN1T-14G391-CC.tar.gz

HN1T-14G423-CA.tar.gz

Those are the files for the NAV version. You do have Navigation correct?

Those files have to be in the SyncMyRide folder on the flash drive, with 2 others files. They are all part of the Ford zip file.

Regardless of what Ford says, we have been doing this install, and have had better luck with smaller slower Flash drives. I use 2 Fat32 16GB Formatted USB 2.0 PNY drives. I have also used my 4GB Transcend FAT32 USB 2.0 drive with good success.

Used 32GB San Disk 2.0 and worked fine first time.

Manny 2525: Besides the 5 files you listed in the SyncMyRide folder - you also need on the USB drive.

• Autoinstall.lst - This starts the install process
  • Dontindx.msa - Not sure what this does

Detailed instructions are on www.owner.ford.com under Sync3 section. Or call Ford Technical Support and they can assist you.

To access Technical Support - Ford Tech Technology Center - 800-392-3673 press #1 for English & then press #3 for the Technology Center. I have spoken to them a couple of times and they are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Used 32GB San Disk 2.0 and worked fine first time.

Manny 2525: Besides the 5 files you listed in the SyncMyRide folder - you also need on the USB drive.

• Autoinstall.lst - This starts the install process
  • Dontindx.msa - Not sure what this does

Detailed instructions are on www.owner.ford.com under Sync3 section. Or call Ford Technical Support and they can assist you.

To access Technical Support - Ford Tech Technology Center - 800-392-3673 press #1 for English & then press #3 for the Technology Center. I have spoken to them a couple of times and they are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Hope this helps.

Yea I also had those files. Still no luck. Thanks for the help tho. Supposedly the WiFi updates went out today (article on The Verge). Going to try that today.

Successfully updated from1.0 to 2,2 with no problems. on the restart I had to finally do a second restart before the maps would load. When I tried to upload the verification file to owner.ford.com I received an error several times and am still waiting for an answer on that. All functions work and Carplay worked fine as soon as I installed the new hub I removed the side trim to allow me to reach the tabs and did the update with minor issues. I didn't need to use the safety string on the connectors, but definitely think it is a good idea to tie them off to prevent loosing them in the console. I'll update if I get an answer on the confirm step. The upload placed the file in a root folder called C:/fakepath which I couldn't find.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon,

Is anyone else getting system errors when trying to download from owner.ford.com? Tried it at home last night and just now at the office...same error:

"system error This service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later"

Thanks

Tom

I had posted this a while back and got nowhere. Filed a report with ford sync help and they got back to me..because of a family situation I wasn't able to do much with updating until now. This is what I received from sync help regarding the error message:

--------------

I just added your VIN to my test account and see that the error is back for your VIN. I pulled up your vehicle information in a different application and see that our system seems to be missing the SYNC programming information for your Edge. Unfortunately, the only way to resolve this will be though your dealership. We can try one thing over the weekend before you head to the dealer. You may also turn on the automatic updates feature within SYNC 3 and see if the information will update in the background while connected to Wi-Fi.

--------------------

Obviously updating over wifi didn't help. When I look at my owner site it says the last sync update check was in January of 2017 even though in my car it tells me of recent checks. Anyway, I have the file for the update and am wondering if installing and updating myself will fix whatever issue they claimed I had with missing sync programming or do I still need to go to the dealership to have that fixed?

• 3 weeks later...

I have already updated the USB hub to get Apple Carplay on my Sync 2.0. I asked Ford Service on Twitter about updating to 2.2. They were going to charge me $150 to do the update because they have to take the trim off to get to a USB connection near the APIM. They told me that it possibly could freeze during the update which then they would need to change the APIM (covered under warranty) but the new APIM would not have V2.2. Then do the update again with the possibility of it not working. So it sounded like a version of Groundhog Day. So I am going to wait until a new software update is available from owner.ford.com for the Amazon Alexa functionality. I might try a different dealer to see what they have to say.