SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

I have already updated the USB hub to get Apple Carplay on my Sync 2.0. I asked Ford Service on Twitter about updating to 2.2. They were going to charge me $150 to do the update because they have to take the trim off to get to a USB connection near the APIM. They told me that it possibly could freeze during the update which then they would need to change the APIM (covered under warranty) but the new APIM would not have V2.2. Then do the update again with the possibility of it not working. So it sounded like a version of Groundhog Day. So I am going to wait until a new software update is available from owner.ford.com for the Amazon Alexa functionality. I might try a different dealer to see what they have to say.

Yeah, connect to Wifi and try updating via the Unit. If not, go to Owner.ford.com and download the 2.2 update. It should be available to all Edges now.

2.2 is NOT available to end users for units that came with 2.0 from the factory. Dealer upgrade only at this time per Ford. Frankly it sounds like your dealer needs some training. Updating to 2.2 does not require anything be taken apart.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up about Waze. I tried it the other day and it it is great!

We now have 3 options of GPS in the car, OEM Ford, Google Maps and now Waze.

No need to ever upgrade the Ford GPS, Google and Waze do that all the time.

As an example, a bridge, the Goethals bridge, that I take every day, has been replaced by a new one built right next to it. Ford GPS shows me driving out over the water, since it doesn't have the new bridge in its data base.

Waze correctly shows me on the new bridge.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know its been a while since this thread got some activity however. I am having difficulty getting car play to work.

1. New apim module
2. Sync3 is at version 3.0
3. Swapped in new usb hub (HC3Z-19A387-B)
4. Tried master reset
5.Tried 3 phones iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7 (no additional config options come up when device is plugged in concerning CarPlay and as far as I can tell no settings in the phones themselves)

6. Today did a full wipe reset of my phone. Still no dice.

None of which did a thing it simply does not work. Specifically the prompt to allow Apple car play never comes up on the infotainment screen. No icon appears on the lower bar. The Car detects device is plugged and indexes in but launching car play set up is a no go.

Kind of at my wits end at this point. Any ideas?

I know its been a while since this thread got some activity however. I am having difficulty getting car play to work.

1. New apim module

2. Sync3 is at version 3.0

3. Swapped in new usb hub (HC3Z-19A387- B)

4. Tried master reset

5.Tried 3 phones iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7 (no additional config options come up when device is plugged in concerning CarPlay and as far as I can tell no settings in the phones themselves)

6. Today did a full wipe reset of my phone. Still no dice.

None of which did a thing it simply does not work. Specifically the prompt to allow Apple car play never comes up on the infotainment screen. No icon appears on the lower bar. The Car detects device is plugged and indexes in but launching car play set up is a no go.

Kind of at my wits end at this point. Any ideas?

Did you upgrade from MFT/Sync 2?

I am having what I believe is a similar issue. I upgraded to Sync3 from MFT/Sync 2 and I replaced the USB hub and plugged the mini USB cable back into the USB hub. What I believe was lost in translation (at least for me) is the other connector is no longer connected to the USB hub (i had two connectors, a mini USB and a multi-pin connector, which I did not reconnect the latter).

There seems to be an upgraded style of connector that needs to be used for the USB hub to work I believe, which is something I plan to investigate as time allows. (I don't really use CarPlay anyways, but I want the ability to do so if I choose).

Did you re-wire the power for the hub, or use an aftermarket harness (e.g. https://www.4dtech.com/sync-3-retrofit-usb-hub-wiring-adapter-gen-1/ )

Either method is needed for CarPlay to work.

And did you go through the setup on the iPhone (settings > General > CarPlay)?

Not sure if this is directed at me however, I had Sync 3 1.0 I went to 3.0. There is no Set up on settings General CarPlay on the iPhone. It just sits with a spinning wheel (all phones ive tested). I am led to believe that when you plug the phone in that sync will acknowledge and prompt on the infotainment system.

Is this not correct?

Not sure if this is directed at me however, I had Sync 3 1.0 I went to 3.0. There is no Set up on settings General CarPlay on the iPhone. It just sits with a spinning wheel (all phones ive tested). I am led to believe that when you plug the phone in that sync will acknowledge and prompt on the infotainment system.

Is this not correct?

It was (sorry for not directing it your way).

I assumed you had a MFT to Sync 3 conversion, but I missed have read the other response and mentally combined both posts.

Have you tried a simple troubleshooting step such as a different lightning cable?

Make sure to delete all Bluetooth devices on sync. Also make sure there are no CarPlay profiles in settings.

I do believe you have to connect the usb/lightning cable and then hold down voice control button on the steering wheel to link them together.

Also, make sure CarPlay is enabled on sync (I know, I feel guilty mentioning it).

Edited by candurin

It was (sorry for not directing it your way).

I assumed you had a MFT to Sync 3 conversion, but I missed have read the other response and mentally combined both posts.

Have you tried a simple troubleshooting step such as a different lightning cable?

Make sure to delete all Bluetooth devices on sync. Also make sure there are no CarPlay profiles in settings.

I do believe you have to connect the usb/lightning cable and then hold down voice control button on the steering wheel to link them together.

Also, make sure CarPlay is enabled on sync (I know, I feel guilty mentioning it).

Its all good. Yep I have tried 3 apple supplied cables

In Sync (when device is connected) There is no reference of Carplay anywhere on any Sync 3 menu screens.

On the iPhone I tried it yesterday after a full wipe no devices configured... and still no dice.

I got close one time... Through some combination of pairing via USB i got "Handsfree" to pop up on the scrolling wheel settings>General>Carplay. However when I clicked it merely paired my phone to the infotainment system but never actually launched the car play prompts on the screen.

I've since deleted my phone from the Sync System and done a reset.

The dealer installed it while they put in the APIM module replacement. So Unsure.. I could try and pry it out and see for myself i suppose. But the lights work on it and its detecting my phone plugging up. I just reset my phone again and kept it default settings gonna try that tonight and try my friends iphone 7 another carrier.

It is probably the wrong USB hub. Perhaps the dealer put the old one back in by mistake.

I just pulled it out. Exactly what happened. They mustve pulled it out and put it right back and put the new hub back in the plastic and box. Its resolved after i swapped hubs. 2 weeks of banging my head against the wall. Should've looked over their work first.

• 3 months later...

If youve upgraded your 2015 with a sync 3 system, yes. It will need some re-wiring or you can purchase an adapter online to make the new hub work with a sync 3 install.

thanks I have already found where to buy new screen with nav block.

Do you have wiring diagram or link to adapter ? diagram is better.