Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

Have you ever had the 'Door Ajar' issue? Please file a complaint with NHTSA, link provided

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rldechant

rldechant

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

So a follow up...

I went to my Ford dealer today and inquired about the door latch issue. They of course do admit its a problem, and that the first step they can take is some sort of electrical contact cleaning process that takes about 20 minuets. BUT... they admit this may or may not solve the issue, and it would be better to just replace the latch.

I used the information from you all here on the forum to ask some more questions of their mechanic, not the service department rep.

The mechanic admitted that the original latches and sensors are not a 'sealed" unit, so dirt, debris, and corrosion get into the latch and degrade the sensor contact to the point that it no longer functions...this is why they recommend replacement as opposed to cleaning the contacts. This corrosion also seems to occur mostly (but not always) on the door most used by the customer (ie, drivers door), since its opened the most and exposed to the elements most often.

I then asked if the new latch, (having read on here that the part number has changed, indicating some change in the part), was a "sealed" unit, to prevent further corrosion. He said it is NOT, it's simply a different sensor, and possibly more robust than the one originally installed on the car.

They cannot however, guarantee that this one will not fail after extended use as he has had to replace multiple door latches on some Fleet Edges and Explorers that he's already replaced before.

In short, even with a replaced latch, it may fail further down the line due to its "unsealed' design as he put it. The best advice the dealer mechanic could offer, from what he has seen, is to keep the latch clean and lubricated...and basically try not to leave your door open in the rain...and after car washes, open the door and dry out the door frame and where the latch secures to the frame of the car to prevent moisture from getting in.

Edited by rldechant, 14 March 2017 - 02:55 PM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and enigma-2 like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   rldechant

rldechant

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

There have been others in the past who have claimed it's a serious safety issue to the point they are afraid to drive the vehicle.   Yet they continue driving it hoping for Ford to issue a recall so they can get it done for free.  

I have no problem with folks saying it's a safety issue.  It is although I think it's pretty minimal, therefore I have no problem with folks asking for a recall.  

I think at the least they should engineer a better part and extend the warranty to 100K miles.  No disagreement there.

Where I have a problem is when people use the "serious safety issue" angle to the point they say they're afraid for their safety while driving yet they don't bother to spend a few hundred bucks to fix the problem for at least a few more years.   They're exaggerating the safety issue just because they don't want to pay for the repair.

Yeah, I get what you're saying Akirby... I wasn't trying to suggest that I was just gonna sit on my rear and not get it fixed, just frustrated (as I can see many are on here are), that a component that seems to be linked to a crucial system on the car was designed so poorly that its failing all over the place...and no long term solution seems to have been presented by Ford as of yet...

#23 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

Yeah, I get what you're saying Akirby... I wasn't trying to suggest that I was just gonna sit on my rear and not get it fixed, just frustrated (as I can see many are on here are), that a component that seems to be linked to a crucial system on the car was designed so poorly that its failing all over the place...and no long term solution seems to have been presented by Ford as of yet...

Sorry about that - I admit I did overreact a bit to what you actually said based on what others have said in the past. 

And I share the frustration that Ford doesn't always seem to fix these problems with a better part that won't fail again.  It's a lot easier to accept a one time repair instead of an ongoing repair.   That's happened with several parts on several different vehicles the last decade.

• rldechant likes this

#24 OFFLINE   rldechant

rldechant

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Sorry about that - I admit I did overreact a bit to what you actually said based on what others have said in the past. 

And I share the frustration that Ford doesn't always seem to fix these problems with a better part that won't fail again.  It's a lot easier to accept a one time repair instead of an ongoing repair.   That's happened with several parts on several different vehicles the last decade.

All good....I'll keep you all updated as to what the mechanic finds when he replaces the latch...(ie corrosion, wear, etc)

#25 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,549 posts
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:47 AM

This is a YouTube video where "fix it angel" shows how to remove the door latch and replace the switch attached to the latch. Ag the end of the video, he tears open the switch and it clearly shows the corrrosion located inside the switch.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#26 OFFLINE   erikgrad

erikgrad

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

It appears a class action is being started for 2011-2013 owners: http://www.carcompla...d-investigation

#27 OFFLINE   rldechant

rldechant

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:13 AM

UPDATE:

So had the latch replaced this past weekend at my Ford dealer...to the tune of $425 bucks. The mechanic let me take a look at the old one (sorry, no pics), and it was corroded as F*%k!!!! Seems he was right and the elements, salt, brine, etc are working their way into these door units and mucking things up.

He did say that the new units had a different part number, and it appears they are more "sealed" that the factory ones in his opinion, which directly contradicts what another mechanic at the same dealership told me a few weeks ago about it "not being sealed"...so who knows what the deal is with THAT :rant2:

Now fingers crossed for a recall to get reimbursed, or maybe get some $$ back from that class action Erikgrad mentioned...

Edited by rldechant, 05 April 2017 - 10:20 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   Wendy2011

Wendy2011

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

I bought my 2011 edge in 2015.i had issues with the door ajar warning coming on 2 times.the second time they fixed it so far it didnt do it again.i am hoping it was fixed now.

#29 OFFLINE   Lruiz50

Lruiz50

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

Currently have door ajar issue very dangerous at night when backing up

#30 OFFLINE   Polecatt

Polecatt

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Edge's Year:2012

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

I am having this issue as well... Have ordered and received the part.  Now I'm looking for some help with the work.

I have seen a few great videos referenced in this thread (and elsewhere), but these are for the front doors.  Is anyone aware of a walkthrough that shows how to replace this on a rear door?  I'm working on a 2012 ford edge rear passenger latch.

#31 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,549 posts
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

Doesn't appear to be anything on YouTube, except one for a 2011 rear drivers door.

Problem is, he didn't replace the switch, just cut and grounded to wire (simulating a closed door). Appears to work but the dome light will never turn on when you open just that door.

#32 OFFLINE   Polecatt

Polecatt

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Edge's Year:2012

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

That's one of the videos I found.  It is missing most of the more difficult steps in the rear latch replacement that seems to involve removing the "rear door module".  Getting the trim panel off is easy... not sure about the door module.

#33 OFFLINE   normcloutier

normcloutier

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:07 PM

I had a door ajar issue with my 2013 SEL. Luckily it was replaced under warranty.

Unluckily, I dealt with having the dealer try to fix the ongoing door rattle for the next 18 months after they replaced the latch. Had the latch not failed in the first place, the door panel never would have been removed causing the rattle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users