Throttle body recall

fishx65

Just found out that there's a throttle body recall on my 2011 3.5. Not sure if there's a mileage limit but I'm approaching 80,000 miles. Sounds like the malfunction can cause oil usage and I'm definitely having to add about 2 quarts between 6,000 mile changes. Anyone take theirs in for this and did you notice any excess oil consumption??

Customer Satisfaction Program 16B23

Certain 2011-2012 Model Year Edge and MKX Vehicles Equipped with 3.5L or 3.7L Engines, and 2011-2012 Model Year Mustang Vehicles Equipped with 3.7L Engines

Electronic Throttle Body Replacement

PROGRAM TERMS

This program will be in effect through September 30, 2017. There is no mileage limit for this program.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Edge/MKX

2011-2012

Oakville

July 1, 2010 through October 29, 2010

Mustang

2011-2012

Flat Rock

March 22, 2010 through November 30, 2010

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM

In some of the affected vehicles, the electronic throttle body (ETB) internal motor contacts may develop contamination resulting in increased electrical resistance. If this condition is present, the wrench light or malfunction indicator lamp will illuminate and the vehicle may enter a Failure Mode Effects Management (FMEM) of default throttle position with fixed RPM. In this mode, while engine power and vehicle speed are reduced, the power steering, power braking, lighting, and climate control systems are maintained.

SERVICE ACTION

Dealers are to replace the ETB. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 1

I have not seen anything that links it to oil consumption, nor does it make sense. Do you have a link?

If it's a recall there is no mileage limit.

Oops, got this throttle body recall mixed up with a valve cover baffle problem I read about which could cause oil consumption.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17714-oil-in-throttle-body/

Edited by fishx65

Posted in my previous post about not getting any notification about this before the dealer did the work. Guess what was in the mail today from Ford, an Important Service Notice -- It is not called a "Recall" but "Customer Satisfaction Program 16B23". Date is October 2016 and is in effect until September 30, 2017 regardless of mileage.

Did you completely miss post #3 back on Oct. 6th?

I got my letter from Ford to bring my car in for the throttle body exchange. I made an appointment and this morning brought my 2011 Edge Sport into Fairway Ford in Augusta GA for this service. Upon arrival I get greeted by a guy in a Ducks Unlimited parka who then introduces himself as "The Manager" and he goes on to explain that without the service light or wrench lit up, they can't change any part. I try to explain, (Reading from the letter) but he's having no part of it, and turned me away. I called the Ford number from my car and the operator called the service dept and explained that owners should be serviced ASAP. She further explained that Ford doesn't want owners going into "limp" mode on a trip, on a highway, they want this serviced before it happens.

Bottom Line: DO NOT BE TURNED AWAY FROM THIS SERVICE. The service associates don't understand the letter.

Edited by Edgieguy
  • Like 1

I must add: I was the first person to have the letter from Ford about the 16B23 replacement of the throttle body done by my local Ford dealer. He checked on their computer to learn what it was all about. You can also go to your Ford Owner web site, it also showed my Mustang was affected by the 16B23 throttle body replacement. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had our ETB and motor asy replaced on 10/29/16 by a Ford dealer in Manchester NH, vehicle ran perfectly fine prior to this replacement. 3 days later the vehicle started having acceleration issues and 5 days after that the vehicle died at a set of lights. Took it to our mechanic (not Ford dealer) and they found oil in the air box. They contacted the Ford dealer that replaced the ETB and explained what they found. That dealer came and got the vehicle, they had it for 4 days and couldn't figure out what the issue was. They did say the engine was losing oil pressure and that we most likely would need a new motor. Now the vehicle is at a second Ford dealer getting a second opinion. How the hell does a vehicle that runs perfectly fine 1 day end up needing a new motor only 8 days after this recalled part gets replaced by a Ford dealer?

I talked to a good friend of mine and his initial thought was, "when they replaced the ETB if they screwed up replacing the throttle body it probably sucked a bunch of antifreeze into the intake and from there it mixes with the oil and ends up ruining the bearings in the lower end of the motor."

This is the most logical explanation I've had since this started and it's been with two different mechanics.

Looking for opinions from anyone on this forum.

Thanks for this info. My dealership told me I had no recalls or TSBs pending on my 2011 Mkx while in service today. Had no idea about this recall until searching here for an unrelated issue.

I think my car's throttle body maybe starting to go as well since few weeks ago I had check engine light suddenly start blinking and had lack of power on acceleration. Issue went away after few minutes and so far has not comeback but best to get it fixed. Now have to talk to my service advisor and get them to replace it asap.