Spark Plugs (When to change)

fishx65

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Ive been searching on here and not able to find anything about what happened to me. I just replaced the spark plugs with the Bosch, per-gaped ones. Should be the .54 on my 07 Edge. I had 108k on the miles. I'm the second owner but they look like the originals. After the change, I started to get a misfire on one of the cylinders, so I replaced the coil hoping that would work. What im dealing with now is the car idles rough, it goes down to about 600 rpms then makes a jerky movement to about 450 and kicks back up to 600. I have also found that running the A/C makes everything much worse. Ive found the issue is present on the freeway when going about 55 mph and the car is at about 1000 rpms as well. When i get on the throttle things smooth out from what i can tell.

All the coils appear to be firing, and Ive checked the voltage. Ive cleaned the MAF and am wondering if its a vacuum or Throttle Body problem. The only other thing that was done when the plugs were changed was replacing a few gaskets. Any direction on this would be really great. Thank you.

Any problems BEFORE changing the plugs? What were the old plugs gapped at? There is always a possibility that the PCM is the core problem here with plugs that have not been changed soon enough. What other gaskets were changed? What did you clean the MAF with? Did you change the PCV valve as well?

Everything was perfect before I changed the plugs, I have no idea what the old plugs were at but I think they were the factory ones. I did not change the PCM. I might just buy one and see if there is a youtube video on that one. The MAF was cleaned with the MAF specific cleaner. We cleaned the PCV valve but did not clean it. Ill update you guys soon. Thanks for the response.

Maybe check to see if you reconnected all the hoses properly and then move on to the gaskets you replaced and check for leaks. From your description of how it's behaving it does sound like a vacuum leak.

Im going to take the intake manifold off again today and double check everything. Happy Thanks giving!

Pulled everything apart again, cleaned the throttle body thoroughly got the intake manifold removed and low and behold the very last spark plug was CRACKED! all the way across the porcelain. There was may 10 miles on this plug, it never threw a code. Replaced it this morning with another one and it runs perfect. I also did the throttle body reprogramming procedure and cleaned out everything as best I could. I used the BOSCH per-gaped ones from Auto zone. At the .054 setting. I hope this helps somebody else down the road. Thank you for the quick replays everyone.

• Like 2

Pulled everything apart again, cleaned the throttle body thoroughly got the intake manifold removed and low and behold the very last spark plug was CRACKED! all the way across the porcelain. There was may 10 miles on this plug, it never threw a code. Replaced it this morning with another one and it runs perfect. I also did the throttle body reprogramming procedure and cleaned out everything as best I could. I used the BOSCH per-gaped ones from Auto zone. At the .054 setting. I hope this helps somebody else down the road. Thank you for the quick replays everyone.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

i was getting a misfire on cylinder 3 about 1.5 years ago; ended up being a cracked coil pack. The crack coil must have back fed and caused PCM damage. Replaced the PCM. 6 Months later, misfire on cylinder 6. Coil looked fine, replaced all plugs, seems to be running great.

I had about 90k miles when i changed the plugs... it was time. I used all OEM plugs.

Edited by addisonm06
  • Like 2