Grabbing Brakes in 2015?

• 2 months later...

This was a great link: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/21296-overly-sensitive-brake-application-at-low-speed-andor-in-coldwet-conditions-2015-2016-ford-edge-2016-lincoln-mkx/

Where is the brake booster located so that we can check to see what version of the part we presently have installed?

All the best,

Andrew.

As it turned out, I did indeed have the overly-sensitive brake booster installed on the vehicle so the brake pedal was effectively an on/off switch. The updated F2GZ-2005-E brake booster was installed by the dealership under the warranty and the brakes are excellent now - natural to modulate and have fine control over light braking.

If anyone else finds their initial braking difficult to modulate, or that their brakes have a very binary on/off feel to them, I highly recommend this update. Even if your vehicle is not under warranty and you'd have to pay out of pocket to get this done, I'd still highly recommend it. The car is much easier and more civilized to drive smoothly when maneuvering on the driveway, proceeding through parking lots, or commuting in heavy slow traffic. Braking performance for heavy stops is unaffected when you need maximum braking force.

All the best,

Andrew.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As it turned out, I did indeed have the overly-sensitive brake booster installed on the vehicle so the brake pedal was effectively an on/off switch. The updated F2GZ-2005-E brake booster was installed by the dealership under the warranty and the brakes are excellent now - natural to modulate and have fine control over light braking.

If anyone else finds their initial braking difficult to modulate, or that their brakes have a very binary on/off feel to them, I highly recommend this update. Even if your vehicle is not under warranty and you'd have to pay out of pocket to get this done, I'd still highly recommend it. The car is much easier and more civilized to drive smoothly when maneuvering on the driveway, proceeding through parking lots, or commuting in heavy slow traffic. Braking performance for heavy stops is unaffected when you need maximum braking force.

All the best,

Andrew.

Hmmm... since this post, I've noticed I've been losing brake fluid. After getting a low brake fluid warning on the dash, I bought a bottle from Ford on 30th July 2018 and topped it up to the maximum mark. As of today, I'm back to the minimum mark again. I suspect something has not gone right with the brake booster replacement, since brake fluid should be in a closed system and I didn't have these problems prior to May 2018.

The car is going in for service tomorrow so I'll ask the dealer to follow up.

All the best,

Andrew.

could be the master cylinder leaking into the brake booster. as long as it's not out of pocket, LOL.

As it turns out, you're exactly right. The mechanic who did my warranty work on the Brake Booster earlier in the year cross threaded a connector to the master cylinder and that was where the leak was occurring. Unfortunately, the damage necessitated the replacement of the master cylinder and the dealership didn't have one in stock - so I've been without my Edge for a few days.

The dealership was also out of rental cars to give me. However, since this was their mistake, they took one of the new cars off the sale lot and gave me the keys. So my wife and I have been "test driving" an EcoSport SE for the last several says. It's not a bad little car, but a 1.0 EcoBoost engine has nothing on the naturally aspirated 3.5 V6 of our Edge. I'm also missing the comforts of the Titanium trim level and some of the plastics feel a bit budget, but there's over $20,000 in price difference between the new MSRP of my car and this one so that's hardly a fair comparison for it. It feels like it would make a good first new car for a teenager just going off to university - low insurance group, solid build, safe, and reliable. As I'm a little beyond my university years now, I like the extra space and comfort of the Edge.

I'll get my Edge back tomorrow. Looking forward to it. :)

All the best,

Andrew.

• Like 2

Hope they get it back to you in 110% shape. Good luck!

Thank you - all is well! :)

Brakes feel good and hopefully the brake fluid levels will be maintained. I'm going to keep a close eye on the brake fluid tank over the next couple of weeks to make sure that's solved the problem.

All the best,

Andrew.

Edited by NeuroBeaker
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Same here with my 2016 Sport.

I am noticing this on my 2018. It is only after when I start up cold in the morning at low speeds like leaving a parking lot or my garage. After on the road things feel fine.

I was thinking it was from the pedal sticking to my shoe, but reading your comment, it does happen at cold starts at low speeds.

• 2 weeks later...