2012 Edge SEL Starter Beginning To Go?

goslats

Wife is having to try a couple of times over the last few days to have engine turn over. Just checked the battery with meter and shows 12.43v. Next I'll need to check connections to starter. I haven't had to look for it yet on the Edge and am curious to know just where it is. Not much room under there so if you can describe exactly where it is I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

You can see the location of the starter if you go about changing the TStat. Yup, it's buried under the thermostat housing.

Is the battery original to the car? Looks like the alternator is working fine. But just because the V is correct, doesn't mean the CCAs will hold up. Need to check CCA's with a Solar BA7 or similar digital tester to prove out the battery and charging system.

My wife drives it everyday and she describes symptoms very vaguely LOL. I.ve only tried it a few times and have not had a problem, but from what I gather there would be a reving or winding sound upon starting that would last a few seconds and that started a week or two ago. Last week she noticed an occasional not starting when pushing ignition button the first time. This week it is a bit more frequent. She is not sure of any sounds or lack of when it does not start.

I'm just starting to troubleshoot so I will get back with anything to add.

Sounding more like the pushbutton part. Seen something similar on the 2013 Fusion

• Date Reported MAY 30, 2013
  • NHTSA Reference #10053343
  • TSB Reference #TSB-13-5-32

Description: LINCOLN/FORD: THERE IS A PUSH BUTTON START ON SOME VEHICLES, THAT WOULD HAVE A NO CRANK/NO START WITH NO KEY DETECTED MESSAGE IN DISPLAY AND BOTH REMOTE CONTROL RKE FUNCTIONS ARE INOPERATIVE. MODELS 2013 FUSION, MKZ. *PE

It's not a remote start and I put a Duracell battery in about 2 or 3 years ago. Not sure of the CCA's , but I'm sure I matched or exceeded the original CCAs.

Starting to think the the contact in the pushbutton also. Thanks WWW Now I'll look for the "No Key Detected Msg" displayed But I don't think that has come up at that time. Will keep updated.

• 2 weeks later...

By any chance is the brake pedal really hard when you push on it. When my brake booster was bad I had starting issues just because the brake pedal was so hard to push. The brake pedal should be soft and easy to push down to start the Edge. Ever since replacing the booster starting the Edge has been much easier.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...