Help with Sport wheels

Tonio2k

Have my eye on one of two loaded 2016 sport models, am just torn between the 21" or the standard 20" wheels. Live in New a England where winter driving and potholes , rough surfaces etc are a factor. I like the idea of the low profile 21" black wheels (plus they look great) but wish to know from other owners or people w experience if they ride too hard /rough, and if in general it's better to stick with the standard wheels for every day and all season. Main concern is too harsh and bumpy of a ride, plus having to change tires in the winter, I do a lot of highway driving and would rather have smooth softer quieter ride, but if there is really no difference I'd go w the bigger wheels. Obviously I'm torn! any advice is appreciated thanks.

• 3 months later...

Sorry, the 20's are an ugly design and the chrome doesn't belong on the Sport as there is nothing else chrome on the outside. Just looks out of place.

Go with the 21's. The ride is fine and the sidewall is plenty to prevent damage from a pot hole. Plus the dark grey looks great on any color sport. Weight isn't much of a difference either.

In my opinion, either way you should get a dedicated winter wheel package (18 or 19 inch), and keep the 20/21's for the other 3 seasons. Aside from that, the 21's run very nicely on all surfaces. Not too harsh, and look much better (again in my opinion).

Agree with Burrcold - I did this exact thing on my 2016 Sport with the 21 package.

Go with the 21's. The ride is fine and the sidewall is plenty to prevent damage from a pot hole. Plus the dark grey looks great on any color sport. Weight isn't much of a difference either.

Beg to differ. Have 20" with OEM chrome rims, tires are month old. (Bridgestone's)

Swiped a curb at 5 mph and blew a 2" hole in the sidewall. Getting a new tire on Tuesday. 21's gave even less sidewall. The less the sidewall, the more the chance of sidewall failure when you hit a road hazard. (Look better though).

Go with what speaks to your heart. I will tell you that you will have a LOT more replacement options for the 20's than the 21's as Pirelli is the only game in town right now. These Pirelli's can run $300-400 each to replace unless Tire Rack has some sort of sale where I have seen them as low as $280 each. These 21's do look stunning on the Sport, but they are also extremely heavy. If road hazards are a concern, the 20's would be a better bet. Due to less weight, they should be faster and get you marginally better fuel economy.

You must be looking at the wrong tire. They're $218 each on tirerack all the time.

Exactly! They're actually $213 right now. So the difference in price shouldn't be a deciding factor. Yes there are more tire options in the 20 inch size, but there are still a number of good choices in 21's as well.

Beg to differ. Have 20" with OEM chrome rims, tires are month old. (Bridgestone's)

Swiped a curb at 5 mph and blew a 2" hole in the sidewall. Getting a new tire on Tuesday. 21's gave even less sidewall. The less the sidewall, the more the chance of sidewall failure when you hit a road hazard. (Look better though).

Seems like a very odd and rare circumstance. You likely would have had a failure regardless.