How to drain fuel out of my edge?

Kinney12009

You can have mac drive it for a day and the gas will be all gone.

OR you can use the funnel that came with your Edge, use it to keep the fuel filler pipe open, and insert in a smaller tube, connected to a siphoning device, into a certified gas can. What would you do with it though???

OR you can have a mechanic siphon it out for you.

Patent using barium salts:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6200358.html

Try an upper cylinder lubricant from Lucas Oil (easily available anywhere), might neutralize the sulfur. ATCO advertises a Vanguard additive that claims to neutralize sulfur.

This statement applies to diesel fuel, but the concept should be the same for gasoline

"A series of innovations of the diesel engine followed, which made it possible to use heavy fuel oil in mediumspeed trunk piston engines, pioneered by the MV The Princess of Vancouver. In the mid-1950s, high alkalinity cylinder lubricants became available to neutralize the acids generated by the combustion of high sulphur residual fuels, and wear rates became comparable to those found when using distillate diesel fuel."

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I would pull codes first from the PCM. Could be an EVAP system issue with the fuel smell. If you tend to go overfill (go past the first shutoff) it can flood the canister and take a while to get rid of. A stuck purge valve could also do that, but should not be excessive. Could be leaky injector(s). A burning gas smell would indicate a possible flooding of the catalytic converters.

Does the coolant have "floaters", does it look shiny, like it has an oily sheen? (Shine a light on it from the top, and from the side.) Those are warning signs that a possible leak in the system has developed and that oil may be mixing with the coolant. If the radiator has a flaw, then trans fluid can also get into the coolant, so check the engine oil AND trans fluid also.

No it wasn't shiny or anything. Just darker than antifreeze would be but if it just sits in the reservoir it would make sense. My wife said it was loosing power and I followed behind her in my car and it was so strong I could smell it in my car with no air on and the windows up. Almost like a burnt propane smell. Is it true if I take the radiator cap off and start the car and it bubbles up and blows are out that the head gasket is bad? Kroger is notorious for selling bad gas so I'm torn between it being that or something else.

No it wasn't shiny or anything. Just darker than antifreeze would be but if it just sits in the reservoir it would make sense. My wife said it was loosing power and I followed behind her in my car and it was so strong I could smell it in my car with no air on and the windows up. Almost like a burnt propane smell. Is it true if I take the radiator cap off and start the car and it bubbles up and blows are out that the head gasket is bad? Kroger is notorious for selling bad gas so I'm torn between it being that or something else.

Power Transfer Unit, also known as the Power Take Off unit. It is the front differential in an AWD system that decides when and how to spread out power between all 4 wheels. The Edge is a Front Wheel Drive (FWD) system most of the time, and the AWD only comes into play as needed.

The PTU has a vent to allow for the expansion of the PTU fluid, and in some cases, when the fluid expands too much, it escapes out this vent. The fluid gives off an odor of propane gas, kind of a signature smell. This usually leads to PTU replacement if confirmed, under official Ford policy, as they do not R&R the fluid.

Ok yeah. I know what it is. Well. I think I might have figured out what the problem is. There was barely any tranny fluid in the car. I think That burning smell was the transmission. I've put cardboard under the car and nothing is leaking. Then I jacked it up and the motor and everything looks clean. There was a little oil like substance on the transmission next to the ptu but it's not so bad it's dripping but still doesn't make sense why it had no transmission fluid on the dip stick. They're separate. I'm hoping just flushing the transmission will do the trick but still not completely sure. Any suggestions?

Ok so you have AWD, good to know.

Did you check the transmission fluid with the engine running, parked on level ground, etc. as specified in the owners manual? Will not work if the engine is off.

The PTU can leak, but so can the seal between the trand and the PTU, which can cause a mixture of trans and PTU fluids to escape. That could also lead to that smell. The leak might be slow and evaporating on the trans/ptu case. At this point, the trans AND ptu fluids would be suspect IMHO. At least will need to have the seals looked at by a pro.

Yes the car was running and up to normal running temperature. Was on level ground and it just barely was at the tip of the dip stick. Yeah I think it might be that seal between the two because that's where the wet spot was. Do you have any idea on what a new seal would cost to repair at a shop or even if it's something else like the ptu?

There is a TSB on this issue that outlines the parts and procedure. You can search on the part numbers on eBay or levittownfordsupercenter.com to get the best pricing.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=151420

I suggest you contact Benny at Levittown for the best info on the needed parts since yours is a 2012. The TSB does not officially apply to that MY.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10937-employee-pricing-on-all-parts-accessories/?view=getnewpost

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W