Redline high temp gear lube in PTU

junehhan

I was curious if anyone here has tried switching their PTU gear lube to a very high performance gear lube like Redline? I have been debating on switching out the gear lube on my Sport at 5 or 10k miles and was curious if anyone else has tried this and whether there were any issues or not. Redline is the only company left that I believe still uses a fully di-ester base stock as everyone else utilizes PAO's for full synthetics. The benefit is that it is more stable at high temperatures at the expense of being more hydroscopic.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just updating this thread. I went ahead and had the dealer change the PTU lube with Amsoil 75w140 severe service lube while having my first oil and filter change done at 4500 miles. I don't want to have Redline shipped and finding it was harder than I remembered it. Normally I buy Redline on trips to Columbus from Jegs, but none of the Cincinnati Redline dealers carried it. Amsoil and Redline are generally considered to be the best of the best when it comes to synthetic lubricants, so it will be fine.

• Like 1

How is it that you had the dealer change the PTU lube? I have spoken to 2 dealers in my area (DFW metroplex) and they state the usual Ford line "The PTU lube is lifetime and...blah blah" and will not do a suction/refill. But I have an '11 Limited.. I see you have a '16 Sport. Do you have a drain plug?

The dealer charged me half an hour of labor to do it. Someone posted in another thread that they changed the PTU casing design for the 2015+ Edge. I seem to recall hearing that there was a drain plug down there which would make sense as dealers tend to charge a full hour if they have to split the pumpkin open like on differentials. The dealer assured me that the PTU based on their experience is not filled for life although it may have been revised for the 2015+ Edge. Because it is roughly the cost of an oil change, I plan on servicing my PTU every 30k miles with either Amsoil or Redline. I have never really understood why the PTU takes such a beating when all it does is transfer power from the transmission to the driveshaft. I believe all of the AWD action actually happens at the rear axle.

I have not had a chance to see the underbody of my Sport yet and cannot verify. I believe the dealer said something about that although I got distracted as I got a cell phone call at the same time from my dad who got rear ended by an Asian woman.

• Like 1

Yes, PerfA states something that I have yet to get a clear answer on. I came over to the Edge universe after driving an Explorer 4x for many years. I could drop my Ex into 4x high or low on the fly (up to about 35mph) and I knew I was in 4x mode. I could them select out of it and go back to rear wheel drive. Since the Edge Limited AWD I now have has the 'on-demand' PTU/AWD system, I am not sure just when the AWD actually 'kicks in' and engages. I am a fan of AWD and 4x vehicles as I *sometimes* am on a dirt road, and here in Dallas we get NASTY ice storms and some snow a few times a season. Now, I'm not busting trails or crawling, or anything near that, but I like the fact that it is there when and if I need it. I'd just like to be clear on exactly when the actually AWD engages. Anyone got a clear description?

On the 2015+ on the higher trim models like Titanium and Sport, there is a dual display dashboard. You can select the AWD distribution diagram which displays just how the power is being split between the front and rear axle. I don't know about the earlier Edges, but supposedly the power allocation was based on detection of wheel slip. On my 2016 Sport, the diagram shows that it actually spends a lot of time in AWD mode. When accelerating from a stop, it appears to maintain a 50/50 split and it is only once you get into 3rd gear and start cruising that it goes into mostly FWD mode with what appears to be a 90/10 split. The minute I get on the throttle, it immediately goes into a 50/50 split once again. Even with this potent 2.7, the system apparently works so well that there is zero torque steer. The system is supposedly able to send a maximum of 50% of total torque to the rear axle. This means that unlike true 4WD systems that lock the front and rear axle in place, there are limitations if you get the front of your Edge stuck in something as it may not be able to send enough torque to the rear axle.