Newbie struggling with winter tire questions

Julie Barron

And this is directly from Tirerack.com:

"When searching by vehicle, load ranges are shown in ascending alphabetical order. When you choose "recommended" you will see the load range(s) appropriate for your vehicle."

One of the "recommended" selections from Tirerack is one with a 101 load rating.

To comment on your article from PM, yes the manufacturer can specify slight compound changes but they can't change the load setting of the same offering in the same make/model (it would have to be an entirely different tire!).

So you don't believe you can have the exact same mfr and model of tire in the same size with different load ratings?

Of course they can but the load rating from a "manufactured set" versus the "OEM set" you buy off the shelf is not going to be different. They might have a slight compound difference like was mentioned in the article but not load. If you can show me an example of this I will STFU right now (but also be quite scared if it's even possible to having varying load ratings for the same car/tire brand/make).

I'm not sure what your point is. The load is identified as being different. I'm saying that if the OEM tire had a different load versus the OEM off the shelf (purchase as a replacement) that would be scary which is why I said same "CAR/tire brand/make". If the tire is the same size but different load, the description will say "Bentley" or "Porsche" or "Tesla" beside it. Since all of these cars can have the same required tire and size but different load (obviously).

Example from your sheet 295/40/R20 has two different load ratings. If you have a car that requires this size, if you used a site like Tirerack and put your vehicle details in, they wouldn't give you both as an option. It would be known which vehicle each load type was made for.

Edited by Burrcold

Anyways sorry I'm not trying to stir sh!t up here. To the original poster, like TheWizard said if you can find new tires that fall within OEM specs and you confirm that the rims will fit it's probably your cheapest option. Otherwise sell your Escape package and just buy new ones (you bought a Sport so I would go up to at least a 19" rim if you can with a more sport oriented winter tire).

It's not a matter of not believing. I said that I agreed that they can tweek compounds from an already developed tire (I.e. the Pirelli Scorpion Verde), just like your link referred to. However, Ford didn't "create" this tire from scratch based on their specific specifications. So you as well can choose not to believe me, it's fine. I have worked in the industry for a number of years so I know what I know and don't need to prove anything to anyone. Simply giving my educated opinion on the subject.

Nobody said they designed a tire from scratch every time. It's not worth arguing over the degree to which they customize the tires.

The important thing is there can be different versions of the same tire so be sure to check your OEM tire specs.

Edited by akirby