Anyone upgrade their shocks?

My Edge is great on smooth roads like a decent highway. Trouble is, 97% of my driving is on local roads. frost heaves, potholes, etc. And I swear that it feels like I am driving a damn cement truck over the smallest of road imperfections. I see this is an issue with many SUVs these days, and it probably speaks more to our sad infrastructure than anything else.

And yet, if putting in some upgraded gas dampened shocks would help with the situation, I would love to know it.

Ford came so close with this car, I would really like them to make it the way it could be.

Thanks, Dave

I think I have 18 inch wheels, so as to have the most rubber for smoothness of ride. Meh, still not smooth enough for me. Before this, I had a RX350 but guess what? Same issue.

It is kind of like I feel a jolt every time I run over a painted line on the road. That much "road feel" is just not necessary at all :)

I also prefer softer riding vehicles these days and will soon be installing new shocks and struts on my 2011 SEL. Both my 2010 SEL and 2014 MKX had much softer suspensions then the 2011. I'm probably gonna try the Monroe OE Spectrums and see if they smooth her out at all. I guess another option would be to purchase a set of factory MKX shocks and struts. I'm sure springs also play an important role in ride quality but I'm not gonna go that far for a softer ride. I currently run 32psi in my 245/60/18's and it does smooth her out a bit.

• Like 1

I also prefer softer riding vehicles these days and will soon be installing new shocks and struts on my 2011 SEL. Both my 2010 SEL and 2014 MKX had much softer suspensions then the 2011. I'm probably gonna try the Monroe OE Spectrums and see if they smooth her out at all. I guess another option would be to purchase a set of factory MKX shocks and struts. I'm sure springs also play an important role in ride quality but I'm not gonna go that far for a softer ride. I currently run 32psi in my 245/60/18's and it does smooth her out a bit.

If I remember correctly, shocks are the same between the Edge & MKX, shocks differ only based on 22" wheels & AWD/FWD. I believe the springs are the main difference, you have many choices based on wheel size, AWD/FWD and even based on having a vista roof or not, apparently it is that much heavier. So if you really want the MKX ride, go for the springs also.

• Like 1

Many moons ago I picked up a brand new 2003 F150 FX4 Supercab. After 5000 miles I decided to replace the fake Ranchos with Sensatracs to see if it would be healthier for my teeth. I remember being able to feel the difference and she did seem to ride a little softer. Of course, after purchasing and installing the shocks myself , the softer feeling ride may have just been in my head!!!:)

Shocks are just dampeners that keep it from bouncing up and down on the springs and control body roll when cornering. The tire sidewall and the spring absorb the shocks from the road for a softer ride. The shocks are not going to prevent the spring from compressing over bumps so making it softer won't help. It will affect the handling though when stopping/starting and cornering.

I guess if you had a really soft spring and a really really stiff shock it might contribute to harshness but I don't think that's the case for the Edge/MKX.

18" wheels and minimum safe tire pressure is probably your best bet.

My understanding is that CCD adjusts the shocks individually to avoid bouncing and that can lead to a smoother ride. But it's not simply softening the shocks - it's continually adjusting the shocks in both compression and rebound. It reads 46 inputs every 2 seconds. And the springs with CCD are designed with that in mind. That doesn't mean you'll get the same results on a non-CCD vehicle by simply using softer shocks.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/shock_absorber_myths.cfm

I'd recommend that you consider a tire change before making changes to your suspension. I also felt that my Edge ride was a bit harsh (Michigan potholes, etc.) up until I changed to Bridgestone tires. That action softened things up just enough so that I no longer thought about ride harshness. On the other hand, that softer ride did take some getting used to as I felt a little more lean on sharp curves and while making lane changes.

Edited by Gimp
  • Like 2

I don't know this for sure, but I'd assume that the Lincoln has different bushings in the control arms to provide more cush than the Ford. They probably wear out faster, but old people rarely put that many miles on anything. Yes, I'm saying only old people buy Lincolns (ducks). It likely has more noise cancelling materials as well, which helps out.

Thanks for your responses. I am sure that I have, to a degree, "confused" shocks with springs to a degree. Interesting that one person said Ford uses crap springs/shocks and then another immediately disagreed :)

My sister had an older edge, 2011 or so, and the ride was much software than mine. So, I know for a fact they stiffened it up. I am old 64 and yes I like a softer ride :) Just the way it is.

I would replace both shocks and springs if I had part numbers and knew that it would actually accomplish my goal.

Also, I am seriously considering a tire change. I am currently running at 33/34 pounds. I am sure I could go to 32 but I think that would be about it. I had just put a set of Coopers

CS5 Ultra Touring

on my RX350 before I traded it (ouch, I hate when that happens) and they were amazingly quiet and much softer. I will cross reference against the Bridgestone's mentioned above.

Thanks again for all your input. The one thing I do not want to do is go off half cocked and mess things up even worse :)

Be careful replacing springs. The springs and shocks all work together with the OEM tires - it's really a package deal and the vehicle weight and even the engine weight plays a big part. Too soft on the springs and you'll affect handling. The 18" wheels should give you the softest ride. Tires would be the next thing to change. Tire rack.com surveys might help. The 09 and 15 are completely different platforms so the parts are most likely not interchangeable.

I'll ask the engineer I know if he has any other recommendations but I doubt changing springs and shocks would be recommended.

akirby, may you also ask your friend engineer if the Edge/MKX platform (2011-14 specifically) is prone to vibrating on washboard pavement?

It might be a SUV/crossover issue (high center of gravity with relative short wheelbase) but on slightly washboard pavement my MKX bumps/vibrates a lot more than my wife's Altima even though it has a harder harder suspension & with lower profile tires.

Be careful replacing springs. The springs and shocks all work together with the OEM tires - it's really a package deal and the vehicle weight and even the engine weight plays a big part. Too soft on the springs and you'll affect handling. The 18" wheels should give you the softest ride. Tires would be the next thing to change. Tire rack.com surveys might help. The 09 and 15 are completely different platforms so the parts are most likely not interchangeable.

I'll ask the engineer I know if he has any other recommendations but I doubt changing springs and shocks would be recommended.

Thanks much. I appreciate your info. I do not want to mess with the beast, and I understand that suspension is certainly a package deal. But if there were something, and it looks like tires in this case, I would be open to it. I have heard many good things about Bridgestone Duelers, now headed to tirerack to check them out.

Do you have a Sport? 20 or 21 inch wheels? I have a Sport with the 21's and it's still the smoothest riding vehicle I've ever owned (although I've had a lot of sports cars but I have owned a Lexus IS as well). What did you drive before in comparison?

I have a 2013 MKX, facory 20" wheels, smooth ride.

I have a 2016 Titanium with factory 18" polished aluminum wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. Test drove quite a few Edges with the larger wheels, the 18's definitely gave a smoother, quieter ride in my opinion. 35 PSI

Just for the record, I like the looks of the 21" wheels better than the 18's. But when I'm driving I can't see the wheels but I can feel the ride! ;)

• Like 1

I have a 2016 Titanium with factory 18" polished aluminum wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. Test drove quite a few Edges with the larger wheels, the 18's definitely gave a smoother, quieter ride in my opinion. 35 PSI

I got the 18's for the same reason. Also came with the same tires. I run mine about 31/32. OK, but would still like a softer ride. I think I need the front seats to be built like a waterbed :) Soft and floaty.